Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allow me to introduce myself...

Dr. C was my surgeon for my banding and my wife's surgeon for her bypass. To date she has lost 150 pounds (2 yrs out) and I have lost 40 pounds (6 mos out). I can only say wonderful things about Dr. C, he is the best in my opinion. Take heed in what he says and follow his advise it is golden.

John Z

Thanks, John, check out the new website!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Looks great. Will see you Tuesday Morning for a check up and possible fill. We had a great time on the cruise, all the family had a wonderful time. See you Tuesday

John

<snip>check out the new website!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

I'm not a patient of yours, but I checked out the site.

I must admit that is one impressive website. It's informative, without trying to oversell the band or your practice.

The general info on obesity is great and the whole site is clear, colorful and easy to navigate. I also enjoyed the testimonials although they were brief, it was upbeat.

The patients in your region are lucky to have a nice resource and we're lucky to have you aboard in the "virtual" realm.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

Dr. C...God Bless You!! Thank you for taking time to answer everyones questions and concerns. I wish there were more doc's in the world like you!!!!

Dr.C,

Thanks for being on the board! I also have the same boss as you!! He's so cool.

My band had a leak in it and had to be replaced. Second surgery was not fun at all!!! Do you think I am more likely to have slippage now? What can I do to prevent it.

Thanks for being here.

I don't see why you'd be any more or less likely to slip if the surgery was succesful. Just follow the rules like any bandster, avoid PB's if you can and don't eat to the point of discomfort.

Good luck!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr.C,

Thanks for being on the board! I also have the same boss as you!! He's so cool.

My band had a leak in it and had to be replaced. Second surgery was not fun at all!!! Do you think I am more likely to have slippage now? What can I do to prevent it.

Thanks for being here.

Hi Dr. C~

No questions here either but wanted to thank you for being a resource for all of us. We really appreciate it.

Julie

Dr. C:

Please help me if you can. I was banded Sept. 9, 2006 with a BMI of 35, 197 lbs. and surgery was done with Dr. Joya out of the country in Puerto Vallarta. I have not been able to eat solids.

I started the band that says I haven't been able to eat solids for 9 months. I can't get support through the medical community. My regular doctor doesn't know much about lap band, the surgeon that put it in, and the radiologist that does my follow up care, all don't know why my body is reacting this way. I have no answers. They all advice me to take it out.

There is a lot to explain for you to possibly give me any help, but some of my private responses to other inquiries might shed some light on the situation, and then reading my thread:

To someone that questioned if I choke on yogart was it getting stuck in the band, or not able to pass down the esophagus. My response:

I say choke because it doesn't pass through the band and it also doesn't move down the esophagus. I do have a huge history of reflux disease, but have never had problems with swallowing before the band. I had a scope done with a gastroenterologist before the band and everything was supposedly normal. I do believe that that test may have been flawed and that the muscles in the esophagus might be damaged, but the gastroenterologist doesn't agree. I haven't seen him since the band and am considering involving him again.

When food is too thick and doesn't pass through, I start to get light headed. I use to start to black out, but the symptoms have gotten better in the past month. I start having lost of mucous in the esophagus which is problem my body’s way to help it push down, but I have to go force the food out.

I can help things by drinking hot liquids and at times I can open it up a little to get down a liquefied pouched egg, but this morning I couldn't do it. I chocked on my Protein drink.

I swallow a little and have to wait ten minutes before swallow another swallow. It is frustrating, but since I am taking loads of Vitamins and getting shots, I don't believe that I'm hurting myself. I am having tests done to confirm this.

Thanks so much for your comments.

Another person suggested that I might be allergic to the plastic the band is made from or that I have other problems that involves the esophagus, or things that would need more testing to decifer. My response:

wow, it looks like the band has really been wonderful for you. You only have 25 lbs to go. I started at 195 and now weigh 177, but that is only on a good day. My weight had gone up to 197 in the past, so I generously credit the band with 20 pounds, but I could have done better on my own. I don't look like I weigh that much because I'm very muscular, but I'm only 5'2" and my goal is 125lbs. I know that when you have less to lose that it is harder and many banded patients have 100s of pound to lose, but this has been a nightmare never the less.

I am waiting on taking the band out due to a couple of factors.

1. I'm an opera singer and can't sing for 2-4 months after surgery. I had vocal problems after surgery for the first 8 months after, but I credit most of it from lack of nutrition. I recently got my voice back after I discovered Vit. B shots.

2. I would like to find out why this isn't working. I believe that something else is wrong and this has only complicated the reason why I couldn't lose weight before because I was very disciplined.

3. The surgeon that I believe can help me was just sent to Iraq and won't be returning until Aug. If I have surgery then, I won't be strong enough for an upcoming performance. I am trying to evaluate things as I go.

It doesn't look good to do much until Dec. 2006. I am beyond needing food, or taste, or anything to do with food. My fainting spells have stopped and I believe that I am healthy with the vit. supplements that I'm taking. I am having test to back this up, and if I'm wrong, I will have to act sooner.

I just want my old body back, and I am also afraid that if I take the band off, I will gain weight again. I was living off very few calories before the surgery and nothing would help.

Thanks so much for your response. It makes this easier to feel there is support available.

------------------------

I share these responses with you because the thread with these responses might give you a more complete picture of my situation.

Have you ever heard of another patient having problems with eating solids, also having heart palpitations, fainting spells, blood pressure problems, symptoms that mimic early and late dumping syndrome, yet they are a lapband patient?

I need answers...thank you for your time.

Wow, this is way too complicated for me to figure out here, but some people have something called esophageal dysmotility, which means that your esophagus doesn't propel food downwards very well. It may have been minimally symptomatic prior to banding, but once the band gets on there and there is some resistance to food going down, suddenly it becomes very symptomatic. There is no choice in these patients but to remove the band. Fortunately, it's not a very common condition. Short of that, the band could be out of position, or it could be that you had a 4cc band and needed a 10cc band.

Whatever the cause, I hope you find a solution soon!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

I don't usually check this forum because so far I've been fortunate not to have any problems (5 months out). But I wanted to add my thanks to everyone else's for being a resource for all of us. It 's rare to find a doc who is willing to take time from his schedule to share his knowledge without some benefit to himself. Must have something to do with his boss!

Thanks again!

Emily

Hi Dr. C.

I have my surgery July 10th, and my first appt with you 4 weeks later. I just wanted to Thank you again for taking me and Ive heard sooooo many good things about you and your office it the tops. Looking so forward to meeting you.

One last thing, I heard you play the banjo and other instruments. My dad had a fit. He played some years ago with Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs when I was young at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tn. He said boy, I wish I could go with you on your first appt and take my banjo. His name is Joe so everyone calls him BanjoJoe.

Just thought it was funny.

Your new patient,

Sherri Smith