Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knitting

i have never crocheted before, i copied instructions fromn internet sites and i am doing it right and making it loose enough, i think. but it still wants to curl up. i keep putting it in the floor with heavy stuff on top, looks flat, then i finish another round or two and it wants to curl---------HELP ME !!!

it will usually always curl up the first couple of rows, only when you get whatever your making big enough to weigh the material down will it stop to curl.

You can go to http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com It has basic instructions and many patterns to get you started.

This is a GREAT sites... I even printed out some stuff.

I watch that show Knitty Gritty... but dang that some hard stuff for me, and they so fast I cant even see what they are doing, plus I dont know all the knitting lingo yet. I also bought be a beginners crochet book its a really small sone and shows you 30 diffrent stitches... I cant wait to get started on that.

yeah that site is good i printed off the entire 54 page instructions, after i finish this blanket i'm working on i'm going to try and teach myself to knit.

Kat, good luck with it. I think you are really going to enjoy it. I know I do and I dont know how to do much! lol

Stitchy, your stuff looks great! i have seen that celtic kit before i was thinking about doing it...do you use hoops or do you use something else to hold the material? And does yours have straight lines on the back?? I have ton's of cross stitch stuff, but it always seems to be so tedious and takes me forever....what process do you use when your making them. Do you do sections at a time, or do you do all of one color? Do you constantly change colors on the needles or do you have a needle for each color? I would love to do more of these, but I'm trying to think of ways to make it simpler.

K@t - I willl pm you. I doubt that everyone here wants to know all the details.

Alrighty, after 3 years I finally finished this blanket for my aunt. It fits a full size bed (the bed its on is mine and its bigger then a queen but not quiet as big as a king) it's crocheted using the shell stitch.

post-206234-13813133578644_thumb.jpg

Oh My word. That is just beautiful!! did you do it as one whole piece or did you do it pieces and then put them all together? I am still trying to make a small very small doily lol

ohh no, its just all one piece, you start with a chain, and then just keep going, when the thread runs out u just tie the ends together and keep going. I used a variegated (sp?) thread and a solid one, and then i just did the border around when i finished the whole thing. it was hell to work on it the last few months because its so heavy and hot. these things are better to work on in the winter!

heather b.---i figured out the real problem with my round rug from the kit. the fabrics were not the same weight. every time i made rings with the yellow, it would start to curl up--even after 3 or 4 rings around together. the fabric was verythin compared to the other two that they sent. i took yellow out and used other fabrics only--it came out great. i have since also started crocheting a rectangle rug for my living room. i am using some

blue and white toile prints(one i had used to cover a chair) to make it. it looks real good so far, about 1/3 complete so far. my living room is covered up with tons of blue willow china--it will match great when finished.

has anyone made anything with those plastic looms from Walmart or michael's? there is a set of round ones and a long purple one also. i wanted to get the purple one to maybe make some shawls as gifts. is it hard to do? any suggestions or hints? "normal" knitting looks hard to me, without someone to show me in person what to do.

I need help.. I am making a Afgan and I need to know how many yards are in a Skein? I looked online and saw everything between 8 yards - 230 yards.... thats a big gap.

dear god---i bought the loom and tried it many times last night--i am about ready to give up!!! i have read the booklet with instructions, and also the instructions that come with the purple loom---i do not think i can

learn exactly how to take the work off the loom each time without some visual help......OMG.....i do not give up easlly, but this really has me stumped. each time i took some work off the loom, it looked different---absolutely nothing like the previous round---i think i may have to call a knitting shop and go in to have someone sho3w me how to do it.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Jane - start snooping around online with Google. I have found videos of stuff I needed to know.

Good luck!

I just bought some wool to make Eliza a little cardigan this week! With my online group of friends, we get together regularly but we decided to have "stitch and bitch" on the first friday night of every month. Most of the girls are into patchwork and cross stitch, but I like my home very minimalist and modern, dont like pretty stuff like that much. Give me a huge vase with sticks in it and I'm happy. So I decided to knit something, its easy and portable.

Bet you anything I only ever do half of it though.

I need help.. I am making a Afgan and I need to know how many yards are in a Skein? I looked online and saw everything between 8 yards - 230 yards.... thats a big gap.

Different weight yarns (like fingering, baby, worsted, bulk, etc.) have different yardages. How many ounces in a hank of yarn makes a difference, too. Usually, but not always, that information is printed on the yarn label. You can't guess. If this is a name brand, you might find some info online. Maybe the manufacturer has a web site. Or you might try taking it to a yarn shop. Quite often they have conversion tables.

Good luck