Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knitting

I just started to take up knitting... I dont know how to make much but between that and my ceramics it is keeping me pretty busy. I am trying to teach my self to crochet but it seems so much harder. Also I only know how to do the knit stitch I havent learned to purl yet. Its just so much fun!

So do any of you Knit or Crochet?

I knit sometimes too... only the knit stich though, I can't get my hands around the knit / purl stuff. It doesn't flow right when I try it.

I've made a good 20 - 30 scarfs... haven't tried anything where I have to count yet.

cashley I have this really neat CD showing the diffrent stitches... just the simple ones I have not see it but it seems pretty good. I have an extra one if you want it.

TrishS,

I'm like you. I learned how in high school, and now, some 35 yrs later, I picked up my needles when some ladies at church started knitting shawls for women in nursing homes. My first project started out as a piece just to see if I remembered how to do it. It was so much fun, I've continued and am about half finished now. Too wide for a scarf, so I guess it will be a shawl. There are a few mistakes here and there; nothing that is noticable, but I know they are there. I'll probably keep it for myself.

I usually crochet, but knitting seems more fun right now. Maybe, I'm just tired of crocheting all these years.

Both keep my hands full of yarn (instead of food) and my mind occupied

(with something other than food).

Vicki, Yeah I hear ya on the keeping hands away from the food and just full of yarn..... and I am sure the yarn does not taste good.. LOL

Jill - I have wanted to try looming... it seems fun. Is it hard to learn? maybe I will get me a looking kit for my birthday... I love buying myself stuff for my birthday LOL

I crochet and do needle points, counted and stamped as well as candle wicking and things like that. I love crafts. I'd love to learn how to quilt and to knit. I never learned those things. Here are a few pictures of some projects I have done.

This is a blanket I did for my mom that is a shell stitch.

This is an apron and kitchen towel set. I bought the set and then cross stitched the cherries and strawberries.

This is a counted cross stitch that I did and then I had it laminated and sent it to my cousin who is stationed in Kuwait.

This is a candle wicking set I did and it hangs in my bedroom.

This is a stamped cross stitch that I made for my mom to hang in her classroom...shes a teacher!

post-206234-13813133571449_thumb.jpg

post-206234-1381313357163_thumb.jpg

post-206234-13813133571881_thumb.jpg

post-206234-13813133572047_thumb.jpg

post-206234-13813133573519_thumb.jpg

:biggrin1: i just got a kit to make a rag rug last week. i made it in 4 days, however it never stopped looking like a giant sombrero. i took it out and started again. it looked good til about halfway through, it is not starting to do the sombrero thing again. i also used some scrap material from a shower curtain i made and am making another rag rug with that scrap. i have never crocheted before, i copied instructions fromn internet sites and i am doing it right and making it loose enough, i think. but it still wants to curl up. i keep putting it in the floor with heavy stuff on top, looks flat, then i finish another round or two and it wants to curl---------HELP ME !!!

i also made 4 potholders in the 3 days before my surgery and made 17 more the 2 weeks after!! (you know, the ones we made on metal loom as children) we are using them for coasters, etc, giving them to neighbors, taught my sons how to do them, neighbor girl also----------just to keep my hands busy. i really want to get this rag rug thing right, i had already collected info in a folder in last few months to do this. now i am very frustrated...........but tearing the material into strips is fun....LOL your stuff looks great kat.........is candlewicking very hard to learn? i also do embroidery but, my eyes hurt too much from the strain to do it very long at a time, even with a magnifier around my neck to see with!!:)

Kat!!! Too cute! I love the apron set and what is candlewicking? Sounds fun.

I taught myself to knit when I was pregnant, it just seemed the right thing to do. Now I have a huge bag of knitting in my room just like my grandmother used to, weird. Purling is no biggie, and worth learning since everything looks so much better when you knit a row, purl a row... Is that the garter stitch? I still can't figure out crochet... Oh well.

My Grandma calls loom knitting "fake knitting". Its terribly easy to do. If you have a Michael's or AC Moore Craft store, wait until the 50% off coupons come out and get a set. Even with out the coupon, they are only $12.

The only things I have made are a couple of scarves, a couple of hats and a blanket. The blanket did come out nice.

I like to knit and quilt, but only in the winter time. It gets too hot here to have something sitting in my lap in the summer.

You can go to http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com It has basic instructions and many patterns to get you started. I just finished a sweater that I started back when the Winter Olympics were on!lol! I made it a size smaller than I now wear - I was hoping then for the band!!!

Gosh Heather, What talent!!! Great job! My personal favorite is the apron and towel set. wow!

I cant knit or stitch or sew or do anything with needles and thread.

Im impressed, y'all.

Kat!!! Too cute! I love the apron set and what is candlewicking? Sounds fun.

candle wicking is just a type of needle point where you use different types of stitches like french knot and back stitching and stuff. The apron set was a gift that I gave to my husbands grandmother for chirstmas this year.

Stitchy, your stuff looks great! i have seen that celtic kit before i was thinking about doing it...do you use hoops or do you use something else to hold the material? And does yours have straight lines on the back?? I have ton's of cross stitch stuff, but it always seems to be so tedious and takes me forever....what process do you use when your making them. Do you do sections at a time, or do you do all of one color? Do you constantly change colors on the needles or do you have a needle for each color? I would love to do more of these, but I'm trying to think of ways to make it simpler.