Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is a far distance between wanting to gorge yourself with food because you WANT to rather than just wanting to eat something/anything because you NEED to. This is something very hard to explain to others that have never been there. I have, and I can tell you it is something worthy of sympathy and an occassional "Don't worry it will get better".

Everyone has the right here to express their support in any way they see fit as long as it does not go against the forum rules.

Fleur, I do understand where you're coming from.

Though my bouts has not lasted as long as yours is, I still went through it. I do hope you get to feeling better soon, and it WILL get better! Hang in there!!

We do have to get to where we can enjoy food to some degree, whatever the food choice may be. If you turn into a total health nut as a result of this surgery, then great - enjoy those healthy foods. If you choose to mix it up a little more, then enjoy those not so healthy foods in tiny amounts. As Fleur said, you have to at some point enjoy food enough to put some nourishment into your body. Even people who view food as fuel have SOME foods that they enjoy.

So, there's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy food and the experiences that come with it - family, friends, fellowship, etc. This surgery allows you to do it to the degree that you don't gorge yourself. I am back to enjoying food to some degree, but still find it frustrating to eat because I get full so fast. But, I'm working on it and dealing with it better as time passes. I'm learning to order smaller portions, maximize the use of my leftovers, and take my time eating. I have to eat and I see nothing wrong with enjoying what I eat - even if it is just two bites.

And Fleur, you WILL eat Taco Bell again. I had a mexican pizza the other day. I could only eat a fourth of it, but man was it good! You'll get there...

It really does get better. I struggled big time with nothing tasting good, and not wanting to eat because I lost not only my hunger, but my appetite as well. I don't understand what people are talking about food issues, when it sounds like it's a physical issue. You want to eat because you need sustenance, you need to get in your Protein, and your body just isn't allowing it. I get that completely ! ! ! You specifically stated that you don't miss the volume, or eating Taco Bell, it's the fact that after 2 bites, your body is done. It is frustrating because mentally you know you need to eat, but your body is not cooperating with your brain.

On vomiting, I agree that you might need to check in with your doctor. It's not normal to constantly feel like you are going to throw up. Anytime, I ever felt that way if I was trying out a new food, I went straight back to mushies and sometimes full liquids.

I certainly did NOT have weight loss surgery to lose my desire to eat food, or feel like I'm going to puke all the time. I wanted to be normal, or as close to normal as my perception would allow. I don't think it's "normal" to not have cravings, to NOT want Mexican or Thai food. The big difference between me pre-op and me post-VSG is that I can eat a small portion of whatever I am craving, and go about my day. I don't feel it necessary to gorge myself into a food induced coma. I didn't have surgery to deprive myself, and let me make this real clear, I've never once believed that WLS has to be a cookie cutter world that I have to live in. What works for me, may not work for the next person, BUT there is not one person that can argue with my results or my success. Not person can say that "how I did/do it" is wrong, because apparently what I've done and continue to do is working out perfectly for me. And guess what I eat anything and everything, and I have cravings for Mexican, Thai, good fat greasy burger, the big difference is that now I can eat 1 fajita and a few chips with salsa, I can eat 2 chicken satay skewers and 1 spring roll, or I can eat 1/2 of a cheeseburger with **GASP** half of the bottom bun, and be perfectly content. Sadly, they operate on our stomach, not our brains, so no amount of surgery is going to fix all the food issues that we struggle with day in and day out. I also know that my food issues are unique to my BODY, my brain, and that others can not eat the variety of foods that I am able to because those may be trigger foods for them. BUT, VSG does not have to be a "set in stone" you gotta do it THIS way to be successful.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being frustrated, or having these fleeting moments of "what the heck is going on" " I want to eat because I NEED to eat". It does get better, try drinking some warm fluids before eating. I find that it really helped during that healing process.

**Sorry for my rant**