Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have to throw in my 2 cents here. First, I wonder how much exercise plays into this grazing equation... I haven't heard mention of it from anyone. I exercise a LoT with about 100 hard miles/week on my bike so that in itself makes my nutritional needs different in itself.

Second, I know I'm the minority here but grazing has been law for me. There, I said it. The reasons are multifold but before I go into that, I should mention (to Thinoneday, specifically) that I've been hugely successful thus far, 90 pounds in 6 months, no real stalls, 101 pounds total in less than than 9 months, only 3 pounds to go (but the last few seem to be coming only from my boobs... UGH!) and I couldn't be happier. My calorie count has been 1000+ (sometimes well over) for many months now, carbs 30-40, fat - a lot because of low carb. Working like a stinking charm for me.

Here's why I do what I do and have pretty much from the start of solids. 1.) I have had on going acid issues from the start and a little bit of food does miracles for me as far as soothing. Yes, so does Gaviscon, ppi's are a whole nuther story as are neutrallizers and I've done my share of both and still do. Anyway. The last thing I want to do is go to the grocery store "starving". So, I always have a hunk of cheese or some Jerky or something handy. Magic. That said, the acid thing seems to be improving slowly but surely so I am hoping to get away from always feeling like I need food within arms reach.

2.) Full blown sit down meals for me nowadays are really no fun - I am full so fast at meals, wish I could eat more and usually end up uncomfortable for a while afterwards. To me, that situation is more dangerous than a few almonds or a wedge of cheese anyday. The flip side to *that* comment, however, is sometimes I DO crave a nice full feeling and sitting down having a 'normal' meal is definitely the answer. I do still like to cook and the huge home cooked meals of yesterday are long gone - I'll make a nice, low carb Soup or piece of meat or whatever works for the family and myself. Last night was fajitas for example, a great graze/meal combo type food if that makes any sense. Also did some deviled eggs for Snacks. yum.

3.) My job. I am on the Water on a boat almost all day five days a week and the food served for lunch is the same everyday. And, while its low carb-able it gets reallllly old so I bring Snacks. Also, since I am the captain, I can't really sit down for a meal as I am always 'on' so to speak.

4.) Also improving is my very vocal stomach! It's mostly funny but I am also in school and it makes so much noise sometimes that I have to put something in it to quiet her down or people start looking at me funny! It's not even hunger, usually, but it is very distracting and annoying when I'm in a quiet classroom.

So, as long as I continue to make good choices - and that is SO easy these days - I figure I'll be just fine. I always have a fun variety of yummy, healthy food around to choose from, I rarely - hardly ever - crave crap anymore and if/when I do I can usually just get over it or am satisfied with just a bite or two. Things are sooooo different post sleeve. I've never felt so optimistic about sticking the course - for the rest of my life - ever.

Moral to the story here is it's a different ride for EVERYONE and we shouldn't give anyone a hard time if it's working for them! I think these 5-600 calorie a day diets are nuts once on solids and impossible to sustain long term, ESPECIALLY if there is exercise involved. Just my opinion, not trying to bash anyone and I'm certainly no doctor. But, I could never do it, never would want to do it. I'll never stop enjoying food and don't want to, I just have to do it much differently than before.

I love all the input here and reading everyone's stories. You guys have ALL been hugely instrumental to my successes, I want you all to know that.

Wooohooo!

C

It doesn't make sense to me to eat 3 meals a day with 2-3 bites. There isn't a way to get in your needed nutrition for your body to function well. If we are doing exersice to make our bodies stronger we are using up more calories. The reason we got this surgery is we aren't listening to our bodies. We don't pay attention to full signs or hunger signs. With the smaller stomach we have to pay much more attention. It only makes sense that each person's eating habits should depend on the amount of activity, the amount they are able to get, and their calorie goals. It is a very personal number. I, myself, will never eat 3 meals a day. I have learned through Nutrition classes long before hearing about this surgery and my sucessful attempts at weight loss that my body and my mind do better at 5 small meals or "grazing" as some call it. Like the previous poster I also, before surgery, would eat a little something before going shopping or to a party so I didn't feel the need to over indulge. I'm glad to hear everyone's experiences though!

Hey TehErika, I had my surgery I think the day after you and I am kind of feeling the same way. I don't think I'm grazing but it takes me a long to eat to make sure I actually get in the little bit of food on my plate. I don't think I'm over eating. I don't see how I possibly can be. I end up worried I'm eating to little and not giving my body enough gas to go- so I make sure to eat my whole "meal" even if it takes me a while. I don't want to starve my body and have it hold onto everything. Its so frustrating that every surgeon has their own methods and everybody has their own ideas of what to do....eat for 20 then toss the rest, eat what you can no matter how long, etc... I wish there was an international rule book of VSG surgery.

Wow, we all have a lot to say about this topic.

I really try not to graze. I eat 4X a day and supplement with Protein shakes. I will let a meal go on past 20 minutes though.

I was a grazer before surgery. Grazing, not bingeing got me to over 200lbs. There is research out there suggesting that grazing is a common cause of WLS failure. I don't want that to happen to me. Check out this link http://ezinearticles.com/?Avoid-Weight-Gain-After-WLS:-Learn-the-Difference-Between-Snacking-and-Grazing&id=61380

I think we all need to find our own way after surgery. I'm glad there is no international rulebook out there; I'm sure I'd disagree with some part of it. For me grazing is out but maybe it's ok for you.

" For me grazing is out but maybe it's ok for you."

I realize that this may have sounded snarky at worst or equivocal at best, but actually it was neither.

Rules are great as guidelines, but as each of us is different, we will have to navigate our own way. My own nut's diet plan was too restrictive for me. I tried to negotiate some different alternatives with her, but I just got the party line. The problem was that her plan didn't make sense to me. I can't follow a diet plan that doesn't make sense for the rest of my life. So I researched a lot. Finally I went with the Cornell plan with a couple of tweaks. I did find that certain rules were repeated in plan after plan. One of these was no drinking during meals. I follow that one because there's pretty much consensus about that. Another common (but not universal) rule was no grazing. I took this one for myself because grazing has been a long-standing problem for me. I didn't graze through the beginning stages but it was hard. I drank a lot of Protein shakes.

Tehericka, I hope you can take all of our advice, admonitions and experiences with a small grain of salt. Only you (and your nut) can decide on the right plan for you.