Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What causes leaks?

Can anyone tell me what causes leaks in the sleeve? Is it surgical error or can the patient cause them by not eating correctly after surgery? I just am trying to learn all I can before my revision. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what causes leaks in the sleeve? Is it surgical error or can the patient cause them by not eating correctly after surgery? I just am trying to learn all I can before my revision. Thanks!

Simplest answer is both. You'll be checked several times in the hospital before being released to catch most of the surgeon-related errors. After that, you need to make sure you eat mindfully to avoid overeating and follow your post-surgery diet so as not to stress your healing sleeve.

hi becca, i was wondering the same thing, because my sleeve is being done on nov 1st , and im terrified, mostly of a leak, i also have the band and it has been revised once in march and i am wondering how much a stomache can tolerate before it gets fragile..when is your sleeve being done, do u have the band? vicki

hi becca, i was wondering the same thing, because my sleeve is being done on nov 1st , and im terrified, mostly of a leak, i also have the band and it has been revised once in march and i am wondering how much a stomache can tolerate before it gets fragile..when is your sleeve being done, do u have the band? vicki

HELLO!

I do have a band, and the tubing is cracked and broken off. I haven't had restriction in over a year, which has allowed me to gain back about 25 pounds of the 70 I had lost. My doctor could have fixed my band, but he said that it just isn't worth it and wants me to have the sleeve. I will be relieved to not worry about fills anymore. At first, I was pretty scared of having it done, but now I am excited. I just want to do all I can to avoid any complications. I am a little worried of problems since we are at higher risk with a revision. I will go back to my surgeon on Octboer 27 and I will find out my date then. I am having preop testing and meeting with the nutritionist now. Keep us posted on how you are doing and I wish you the best on your surgery date!

HELLO!

I do have a band, and the tubing is cracked and broken off. I haven't had restriction in over a year, which has allowed me to gain back about 25 pounds of the 70 I had lost. My doctor could have fixed my band, but he said that it just isn't worth it and wants me to have the sleeve. I will be relieved to not worry about fills anymore. At first, I was pretty scared of having it done, but now I am excited. I just want to do all I can to avoid any complications. I am a little worried of problems since we are at higher risk with a revision. I will go back to my surgeon on Octboer 27 and I will find out my date then. I am having preop testing and meeting with the nutritionist now. Keep us posted on how you are doing and I wish you the best on your surgery date!

wow, well dont feel too bad cause my band was revised and i do have restriction, and i have gained 40 lbs since march...lol...not really funny, but true. i hope the sleeve helps more, i just dont know what to expect, and my doc also wants me to have the sleeve, cause although i lost 104 with the first band the second just isnt working, or maybe im not working with it...:(

wow, well dont feel too bad cause my band was revised and i do have restriction, and i have gained 40 lbs since march...lol...not really funny, but true. i hope the sleeve helps more, i just dont know what to expect, and my doc also wants me to have the sleeve, cause although i lost 104 with the first band the second just isnt working, or maybe im not working with it...:(

Well, the band is pretty easy to not work with! It has a mind of it's own.

Well, the band is pretty easy to not work with! It has a mind of it's own.

Sad, but true....lol