Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, this is my first post, well almost I was in the wrong forum so this is my edit. Anyway, I have not been banded but am seriously considering it. The nutritionist says that if I can get control of my emotional eating the wt. would come off naturally. I am so tired of losing and gaining the same 40 lbs. over and over, not to mention the other 60, I'd be happy if I could lose an extra 40. But I digress, I guess what I'm asking is should I go on this journey or sit through another Weight Watchers meeting and talk about how this is everyone's 6th time being on WW? Help!

Jennie,

Only you can decide if the risks and lifestyle changes are worth the outcome. Keep doing your research into the procedure, know what it is, what you're role in the process will be. Keep talking to people who have already had the procedure done. There are lots of considerations, not just the health considerations. What about financial? Will your insurance cover or will you be self-pay. Again, keep researching. Take your time to make a decision. Few decisions made in haste are good ones.

I keep reminding my friend who is looking into it who has probably about the same amount of weight you have to lose..."this is not a magic bullet", "you will still have to learn to make wise food choices, even though the band does help you feel full", and other such phrases. I don't want her to go into it without understanding that she will have to put forth some effort.

I am with you, I have been down the diet roller coaster all to many times.. I have done weight watchers, slim fast, la weight loss center, richard simmons, low calories & atkins.. I even did Phen-Phen.. I lost the most weight on Phen- Phen and akins..but with both as soon as I stopped I gained the weight right back.. I lost 40lbs on Atkins in 3 months and when I stopped I gained back 51 lbs.. I have tried to do atkins again since it worked so fast but now I cant lose a pound doing it.. I think my body has adjusted to it not sure.. I am considering this lap band surgery in Mexico-- I would go there for price reasons.. everyone keeps telling me its my body and I shouldnt do it by price! I understand everyones concern but I need help and I cant afford $16, 000 If I could that would be great but that will never be the case!. I am a single mom with a very good income--but I also have just bought a house and I have car payment and other bills. I am lucky and want to live life being happy and sometimes I guess I think about it like I will do it at any cost.

I am a very happy go lucky person and right now im so depressed.. I cant seem to get into the grove to lose weight on my own again, often I talk myself into "im not that fat" I look ok.. well I know im fooling myself and although this would be for me and my health, I know my love life would sore!! Men suck lol.. I dont want a large man and the men I want dont want a large woman. I know if I lost the weight I would have so many more opportunitys and I wouldnt be so depressed.

Thanks for Listening & good luck

Michele

My band makes it possible for me to actually DO WW and make a success of it. It's a very important and personal decision, but I was pushing 40 and KNEW I didn't want to live that way for the whole next decade, trying in vain to lose. Gain and lose and gain and lose. By then I would be pushing 50 and be an unhealthy glob of discouraged "less than" a woman (I felt this way about me). The writing was on the wall for me. And my hubby saw it, too. He's very proud of my progress so far and appreciates my band, too.

Here's a story. I pulled out my Richard Simmons food Mover and slid in a card so I could more easily track my food intake for a day or two. (this was months ago after being banded and adjusted) so I start closing windows during the day. Wow! It was easy! I got my Water in, I chose fruits for Snacks, otherwise i wouldn't get those in, and at the end of the day I had a carb and a protien left over! "oh" I thought, "maybe I should put in the blast-off-week-one-card instead of the 1200 calorie card, then I'll be eating about 1000 calories a day?" so I slid out the card...it was already on the Blast-off-week!

Point is, not only can I do it, I can do it day after day after day. Who knew?!

I know that this isn't a cure all and I'll always have to have an eating plan in place. I knew someone who had it done in Mexico and is happy with the results. People don't realize that this is our last resort, so to speak, and that we wouldn't choose this if the weight we've lost from the 20 o0ther diets we've been on stayed off. I too can lose weight only to gain all plus more as soon as I have one mishap. I just want to be healthy and be able to control what I eat instead of food having such control over me.

I noticed some postings on another site by one lady who was uncomfortable with the doctor that she went to in the US for her fills because he was very negative about her choice to have surgery in Mexico. Has anyone experienced this? Are they all so negative on Mexico? I have a doctors in my area (NWIndiana) and would prefer not to have to travel to Mexico for such a quick procedure.:confused:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. NO, do not do WW again, unless you have the band!!!!!!!! That is the way I look at it! lol :confused: Of course you have to decide for yourself.

Terry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. NO, do not do WW again, unless you have the band!!!!!!!! That is the way I look at it! lol :confused: Of course you have to decide for yourself.

Terry

That is a great way to put it!

I quit going to WW after about 5 rounds of going, failing and rejoining. Esp when I'd hear those around me say things like "This is my 7th time re-joining, this time it's going to work".

I know people who have done great on WW, and maintained their loss. But it's not for all of us clearly!

Jennie, I feel your pain. I had joined WW for the 10th time and lost about 8 lbs up and down before I made the decision gto do this. I feel it is the best for me. With restriction and following the diet (not snacking, picking the right types of foods, limiting quantities, liquids, etc) along with exercise I don't think there is a way to fail. When I met with the nutrionist we went through all of my diet history. She said that with 3 small meals a day the band allows around 1200 calories a day. That is not even close to starvation. I am excited and feel great 8 days post op. I go in for my first checkup tomorrow and I know I have lost this last 8 days. I too was sick of the roller coaster. I believe that with this tool and lifestyle change there is nothing but positive ahead. Good luck with your decision. I was at the same place you are just 2 short months ago.

I noticed some postings on another site by one lady who was uncomfortable with the doctor that she went to in the US for her fills because he was very negative about her choice to have surgery in Mexico. Has anyone experienced this? Are they all so negative on Mexico? I have a doctors in my area (NWIndiana) and would prefer not to have to travel to Mexico for such a quick procedure.:)

I asked this question point blank to a US surgeon:

1. Because the money is in the procedure, not the aftercare. Doctors don't WANT you to go to another country. And if you do, why would they want to invest the time and effort into someone else's work.

2. And unfortunately, there can be "hack" jobs in other countries. If you don't pick a good surgeon, they could be stuck with your aftercare that some Mexico doc screwed up. Therefore, your problems will be associated with his practice even though you didn't get banded by him/her.