Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins question..

After getting a CBC, I am painfully low in Iron (borderline anemic), low in VitD, low in B12.< /p>

It was recommended I take:

- Iron pill daily

- VitD rx was given for 5000 units once/week

- B12 daily

- Multivitamin

So, my questions are...

1. just HOW much iron should i be taking daily? I'm getting 100% in the MVI and about 300% in the iron pill. Is this good? Too much?

2. Is the Vit D once week adequate or should I be taking a daily one as well?

3. I am getting 100% of B12 in the MVI, is it necessary to take a separate B12 as well?

4. Does anyone know how long it takes for the body to 'catch up to speed' so to speak regarding stores?

I understand that if you overtake most Vitamins, you just pee it out...so without wasting $$, I was wondering your take on it considering what you've been told or what you know.

It'll be two weeks before my return visit to the nut.

Thanks if you've read this far. :thumbup:

My understanding is:

Take your once a week VitD, prob for 6 weeks, this is standard practice to bring the numbers up (30 minimum) then you can take around 1000 a day.

Vitamin B12 you dissolve under your tongue/sublingual...it is best absorbed that way. Your other VitB12 is combined in a multi pill? Swallowing it is not the best way to get your B12 after surgery.

I don't know about the Iron, I just remember taking it and it made me nauseous years ago when I took too much...

This is the experience I have had, but listen to your Dr.

I was wondering about the B12 as well, my multi has B12 I think it was 2,5 micrograms, I can't find B12 on it's own, I'm wondering if i should buy it over the internet. I read a study though saying that there is no clinical evidencce that it is absorbed better sublingual, i don't know if it's different for us sleevers though. Today I will continue w my research and let you know what i find/

My understanding is:

Take your once a week VitD, prob for 6 weeks, this is standard practice to bring the numbers up (30 minimum) then you can take around 1000 a day.

Vitamin B12 you dissolve under your tongue/sublingual...it is best absorbed that way. Your other VitB12 is combined in a multi pill? Swallowing it is not the best way to get your B12 after surgery.

I don't know about the Iron, I just remember taking it and it made me nauseous years ago when I took too much...

This is the experience I have had, but listen to your Dr.

Thanks for the info...off to buy some VitD for after my rx runs out. Did pick up some B12 sublingual at costco today...yummy! And thanks for the tip on iron.. all i knew is it could make you constipated..so i'll be sure to take earlier in the day w/some food.

I was wondering about the B12 as well, my multi has B12 I think it was 2,5 micrograms, I can't find B12 on it's own, I'm wondering if i should buy it over the internet. I read a study though saying that there is no clinical evidencce that it is absorbed better sublingual, i don't know if it's different for us sleevers though. Today I will continue w my research and let you know what i find/

I was told about getting the B12 sublingual from Trader Joes, but I was at costco today and saw some, so picked it up.. it's cherry flavored and very yummy! I did read an article that it was better absorbed sublingual...but haven't delved too much into it, so not sure on the census.

I was told to take my 50,000 units of Vit D3 once a week for the rest of my life.

It took me about 3 months to get my Iron levels up. Now I take Iron with VitC for better absorption which I got from Vitalady.

Thanks for the info, my multi has 20 micrgrams of B12, but as I read that there's no harm if you take excess as your body just gets rid of it I'll pick some up from costco just to be on the safe side!

I was told to take my 50,000 units of Vit D3 once a week for the rest of my life.

Interesting! I had been wearing sunscreen for years, and my dermatologist said get the VetD checked.... It was at 14 (should be at least 30)....I wonder how my next test will be...taking just the lower daily....I was a little depressed...taking the VitD did the trick!

B/c you see the sun 3x a year. lol I prob will have to take vitD forever too.. which isn't bad considering the alternative could be skin cancer. :)

Your vit D should be way above 30. Do a thread search cause I am not good at making links. There is a whole article on here about the Vit D council.

Your vit D should be way above 30. Do a thread search cause I am not good at making links. There is a whole article on here about the Vit D council.

My Dr. even said that women do better on 40... and that lots of research is being done on VitD right now and it will be given more importance in the future.

I'm not so sure about the VitD council... they are sponsored by and endorse a tanning bed company, Vitamin companies and a blood test company. They might be fine, but check other sources.

Current research has implicated Vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.

Vitamin D's influence on key biological functions vital to one's health and well-being mandates that Vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health.

I know I feel 100% better since I raised my vit D level from 30 up to 80. One of the benefits from having a higher level of Vit D is being deficient in this causes cravings for sweets.

Well I certainly don't want any of those symptoms in my life... I already have a few. Bringing my numbers from 14 to 30 made me feel better (less muscle soreness after exercise and lifted a mild depression) I will continue to raise my D and see how it goes!

I need a bigger pill box!

Here is a good general article about VitD history...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-chameides/to-sun-or-not-to-sun-a-ra_b_740822.html

Edited by feedyoureye