Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Hospital Experience

I was sleeved on Friday, the 24th, and I'm sort of bummed to admit that my time in the hospital was rougher than I'd hoped it would be. I felt pretty good right after the surgery and was able to complete my one mile walk around the hospital floor, but by Saturday things had taken a turn for the worse. Fever, vomiting, utter misery. I was in a bad panic. In the midst of it all, however, I made myself complete that day's required mile.

Sunday things began to turn around, because I realized that I was making myself sick by pushing too hard. I was too eager to get going with my new life, despite all the good advice I had received, both here and from friends who've had the gastric bypass, to TAKE IT SLOW.

So I walked more slowly and carefully and, most important, took much smaller sips of fluids and then waited before the next sip. That did the trick. I was able to keep everything down and increase my intake, my fever lifted and, after one extra day, I was finally released (on Monday) and sent home.

Today it's Tuesday and I'm on top of the world!! I was able to gently sip down two Protein Shakes (for Breakfast and dinner), a little Soup (lunch), and plenty of Water and juice. (I live in Los Angeles, where we've presently got a heat wave going, so I really need the extra fluids.) My energy level is fantastic and I completed a mile this morning with no trouble at all -- but, again, not pushing or going too fast, just taking it easy until I'm completely back.

So for those of you who are going to be sleeved, please, please take the good advice you're getting here and be really gentle with yourself following the surgery. "Tiny sips" should be our sacred motto!

-- Mary

Hi Mary and congrats on your sleeve

I felt pretty good right after the surgery and was able to complete my one mile walk around the hospital floor, but by Saturday things had taken a turn for the worse. Fever, vomiting, utter misery. I was in a bad panic. In the midst of it all, however, I made myself complete that day's required mile.

I don't know how you managed that... :thumbup: I just about managed to walk to the end of the corridor and back each time.... theres no way I could have done that - do listen to your body when it's had enough, theres a lot to risk so early on by doing too much too soon.

Good luck

Thanks for sharing. It helps those of us who will be there soon know what to expect. I wish the best for your recovery and success!

congrats! i'm happy everything went well for you. good luck beginning you knew life. prayerfully in about four months i will be in the same position that you are in post-op!

Mary - thanks for sharing your experience. I'm being sleeved on the 13th so this piece of advice is very helpful.