Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slip and a tough decision

I have been reading this site for a while. Now I need some advice from those of you who have had complications and been faced with the decision of whether to remain banded or have it removed. (And how you feel now, no matter what your decision)

I was banded in May 2005. I've lost about 70 pounds. I had a revision in September 2005. I was having horrible back pain/spasm on my port side. They didn't really know what the heck was wrong with me. In the end, they opened me up and moved some sutures b/c they thought they might have hit a nerve. Despite dissatisfaction with their explanation, I felt better right away, so I went on my merry way.

Over the past 10 weeks I've had increasing difficulties with reflux, golf ball syndrome, swallowing difficulties. Not surprisingly, I have a slip and I'm having surgery on Tuesday. As this is my third lap-band surgery in about 1 year, I'm nervous to say the least. I know I fit into some tiny percentage of people who have had complications - but what if I have more? Let's be honest - this thing has only been around for a little over 10 years. We have no data will happen long term. I feel like I'm likely signing up for another round of surgery sooner or later (hopefully later). To be frank, I kind of expected that at the beginning. I never really expected that the band would be in me forever. The technology just seems a bit crude. However, after three prior surgeries, I'm not sure I'm willing to sign up for a fourth in the future. Not to mention I've also been in pain to one degree or another for the 6/12 months and that's not ideal, though managable.

On the other hand, I've been fat for 27 of my 28 years on this planet. For the first time in my life, I'm able to shop at normal stores, to look at myself in the mirror and be proud and happy, to be comfortable and confident around friends and family and almost (but not quite) be comfortable being naked around my husband. I still have 30 pounds to go and I'm petrified of what would happen to me without the band. I don't think I'll lapse into old patterns right away - but what happens if I injure myself and can't exercise for a while? (I've had knee surgery, hip problems and herniated disk and gained weight with each injury). What happens if another life factor intervenes and I become depressed and start emotionally eating (again - done this - gained 50 pounds when father died; lost it; then gained it back in law school). That's my pattern - lose 40-50 pounds with diligence over a 6 month period and then slowly gain it back over a year. Repeat. That isn't be healthy either.

And what about the day when I'm not able to just lose that 50 pounds? My mother is 60 and she's done this gain/lose cycle all her life. Now, her weight is just creeping steadily higher and higher. I don't want that to be me - that's why I had this done in the first place.

So this is the quandary - risk more lap-band complications and potential discomfort? Or risk potential fatness and all that this brings? Neither an appealing choice given the history.

While I appreciate people's desire to cheerlead and be helpful on this site - I don't need that now. I just need frank opinions from people.

Oh - and for all of you out there who ask questions like "should I go to the dr if....I'm vomiting every day; I'm vomiting up black gunk; I have reflux or heartburn and I never did before; I can't get food or liquids down; I PB all the time; I get stuck all the time, I think my restriction is too tight, etc etc"...The answer is YES. Life with a lap-band shouldn't be THAT different from normal life. Restriction should send a signal to stop eating - not make you sick every time you do eat normally (for a bandster). And if you do not feel right - CALL YOUR DR (or nurse practitioner or whomever). If they aren't listening - MAKE THEM LISTEN. You know your own body well enough to know when it's not right. I have excellant healthcare at one of the top hospitals in NYC and sometimes they are still pretty boneheaded about listening sometimes! Make sure you are being heard.

Thanks, D.

232/161/135

I hate rushed decisions...don't you? If the band is causing multiple trips to the ER, I'd have it out. I had mine out for esophageal damage. I'm delighted. BUT, I had the band out and a revision to DS (duodenal switch) at the same time. And I imagine my insurance paid for the revision because I was MO all over again.

A good reason you might not want to do what I did is that you are so young. My "possible future problems" is a threat about what might happen in the next 20-25 years. Yours would be worrying about the next 60+ years.

Anyway, I have this strange notion that an insurance company will let you have a revision from one procedure to another if there are complications secondary to the first procedure. But, once the band is out and you are only 30 pounds overweight, I don't know how they would handle it. (I suspect that one would have to become MO again to qualiify for any other procedure.)

Psychologists say that "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior." To me, the concept applies in other areas...such as my compulsive eating AND how well the band has worked for me. Doesn't mean I CANNOT change, just means I probably won't. Doesn't mean the band WOULD NOT finally just sit there and not cause problems, just means it probably wouldn't.

I'm not flying solo, so I have nothing to offer on that topic. But moving onto another wls has given me a new life.

Good luck to you.

Sue

D, I am faced with the same choice. After what I have been through the past year I just don't know if I want to take the chance but then again I don't want to be fat either. so what do we do? I can't help you make that decision. Insurance doesn't cover mine so if it was my third time, I would have no choice but take it out. Sometimes some of us aren't meant to be banded and after all your problems maybe the band isn't for you. Good luck to you. Kashia

thanks for your response. sorry to take so long to respond. I kept it in mostly b/c my dr said it would be more traumatic for me (pain/recovery wise) to have it out and since I'm studying for the bar I couldn't risk losing the time. If I had to pay though? This thing would be out out out. Been doing ok so far - a little reflux though the past two days but it might be because it's been less than two weeks and I can't do without coffee...so it's probably my fault. Good luck to you too. - Doris

Thanks to everyone's input I recently found out my band has slipped. I never really have had symptoms though. I have never had restriction either my surgery was 4/26/05 I have only lost 50 some pounds. I wondered what to do. I am waiting to see if my insurance will cover a revison. But as much as I don't want others to have complications I'm grateful I'm not alone and I haven't suffered as some of you have.

Just want to interject - "I have only lost 50 some pounds." There's no such thing as ONLY losing 50 lbs, especially when you've fought your way through each and every one of them.

I've not had a slip (knocl on wood) but a good friend of mine did. She was part of the original FDA trials and has had additional complications since her slip, but she slipped so severely that she was PBing on her own saliva, just from swallowing. Since she went from a tight size 36 to a loose size 0, and lost any resemblance to healthy, her surgeon urged (and is still urging) her to have the band removed. She refuses, because she's afraid the weight will come back if the band is not there. Unfortunately her case is one where healthy weightloss transgressed into eating disorder and irratitional thinking. :confused:

What is happening during your surgery - are they repositioning? Replacing? Removing?

I had the band for less than a year before it slipped. I was getting along just fine once the fill was removed and waited about six months before having it re-positioned. Of course, I thought I'd do everything possible to avoid "bad band behavior" that would perhaps cause a slip again. But an over-aggressive fill (I think) resulted in a second slip. Had it removed in March. Do I wish I'd had it removed after the first slip? No. Everything happens for a reason. Do I wish I'd gone the GeezerSue route and converted to a gastric bypass....sometimes. But, I am working hard and I can tell you when I'm successful the old-fashioned way (exercise and healthy eating), it will feel like a greater accomplishment than anything lost with the band. Sounds like you're still banded, D, so hang in there, take good care of yourself and your band and best wishes for continued success. May your surgeries be over with!

Angela I guess I really won't know til he gets in there if he can reposition, revise it somehow or if he'll have to take it out. I don't want to lose my band. But I won't risk my health. I did cut the grass tonight and walked on my treadmill instead of just eating. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the weight I have lost. Sorry I'm being so wierd.

Diva - what did it feel like when you slipped again? I'm only two weeks after surgery and I'm having the wierd trouble swallowing (golfball in my throat feeling?). I had part of the inside of a calzone the other day (the mushy cheesy part since I'm still on mushies) and it's still bugging me. It better be reflux or swelling of I'm going to believe I'm cursed. Prilosec and liquids for me I guess. Oh, and re: being really good and not causing another slip? Apparently you aren't alone. Should I really have had the inside of a calzone instead of a pureed something? No. But you know what? We're human. I'm studying for the bar and not only did I have surgery - I can't drink, I can't eat, I can't work out and I can't have sex. If a human decision to enjoy some mushy cheese at the library caused another slip that's just too damn bad and i won't miss this thing at all anymore. Jeez.