Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy stomach burning acid Batman! HELP

So I was rolling along using my Prilosec OTC and I had a few acid issues, especially late in the evening but nothing horrible. Then last Friday my son came home from school with a stomach virus and he threw up off and on for around 7 hours, then bounced up the next morning running around like nothing had been wrong. Though his appetite was a little smaller that next day.

I woke up in middle of Saturday night puking my brains out, felt like I got the crap beat out of me, like someone had poisoned my whole body it hurt so bad. It lasted me much longer then 8 hours. I was still working on getting my strength back 4 days later. Then my hubby caught it and yada yada yada.

Here is the kicker, since I had that virus my stomach acid is in overdrive. Seriously I can feel it in there all thick and gross and it burns and churns. It is making me feel constantly nauseated. I took two Prilosec yesterday and I am hoping that taking two a day (I previously had permission to from doc but it was hard to take twice on empty tummy) I am hoping it will get it under control.

My question is what the hell happened? Is it going to clear up, is it residual from the virus, could it be my gall bladder? Has anyone else had a bad stomach virus soon after the sleeve and does it just take longer to get straightened out? I am giving it till Monday and then I will call my GP and go see him since he is handling my aftercare. I just wondered if anyone else had this happen?:) <---(thats what i feel like I could spit from my stomach lol)

This is a little after the fact so may not be of help to you, but I was told by my surgeon anytime you slime or vomit or have anything traumatic happen to your stomach or esphogus that you need to leave it alone for 12 hours. Stay hydrated, but don't focus on eating. Stomach irritation needs to be left alone. You may want to play around with which of the PPI's you are using. I have read some people having to switch these up as well. Good luck, this is difficult enough to get through without not feeling well. Take care and I would be interested to hear what your outcome is.

Anna

Well after my puking episode I didn't eat for 12 or so hours at least. I finally had a couple crackers then worked over the next two days to start eating again. Maybe I will try to start a different PPI. I know even after I call doctor it will take a couple days to get in, he is really busy.

It is gurgling right now and burning. It really blows.

Gaviscon is typically used to help residual reflux. Also, can you get some Probiotics in your system. I've never heard of gb issues causing reflux, but you never know. I would try some yogurt with no fruit, and maybe some mushed bananas.

Prevacid is a popular OTC PPI that some have switched to when Prilosec didn't do the trick. I know a few people have posted that they're taking their PPI twice a day.

Acid is what protects your stomach against most bacterial infections, so the suspicion these days is that PPI use can put you at a higher risk for food poisonings and the like. So it's definitely possible that you'd be more likely to get food poisoning via bacterial infection and that it'd take longer than normal to kill it off because your acid levels are suppressed. I don't know about viral infections, I don't think it would matter because viruses work differently.

With a gallbladder problem, you would have some pain on the right side of your abdomen, in the liver area (just below the ribs) in addition to nausea, vomiting, and other fun stuff.

I have ad a lot of acid and am taking Pepcid twice a day. I crush it to nothing and take in a couple of spoonfuls of pudding or applesauce. My doc told me to bridge the gap between the doses of pepcid with Maalox. Keep your stomach coated. Good luck!

UPDATE: I finally got in to see my doctor who was out sick himself on Monday and Tuesday. He prescribed Dexilant which is a really strong PPI. He stated it is twice as strong as Nexium 40mg. So I take it once a day for a month and he said it should pretty much obliterate the acid from my tummy. He thinks the stomach virus I had exacerbated the already sensitive stomach and that once we get it to slow down I should be able to keep it under control with regular Prilosec OTC but in the meantime we will go balls out and kick some acid butt. LOL I feel better knowing he feels confident it will get under control.

Happy Face