Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have any experience with the surgery and artificial nails? I'm wondering if I should have them removed before the surgery.

Hi! I haven't had my VSG surgery yet, but I had my gallbladder removed about three years ago and I had to have plain nails for that because when you're "under" they can check to make sure you're breathing by if your nails turn blue. Sorry if this freaks anyone out, this is just what I was told.

best to have artificial nails off, and no nail polish so that they can check your pulse ox if need be, and check for nail bed color

I haven't had the sleeve done yet, but I had my gallbladder out and a c-section done in 2008. I had my artificial nails on for both. I asked my surgeon about them and he said it was fine. As always though all surgeons are different so it is best to ask.

Anyone have any experience with the surgery and artificial nails? I'm wondering if I should have them removed before the surgery.

All my surgeries I did not have to remove the gel from my nails, but I have a gel over lay on my natural nail so when I remove my polish you can see my nail clearly. Maybe as your nail tech to give you a gel overlay prior to surgery or just as your surgeon what is his policy. Good Luck!

I've never had to remove my nails or polish and I have had multiple surgeries over the years. I remember back in the 70's I had to remove my polish but nothing in recent years. I just assumed that the technology had improved where they can tell via other methods how you are doing.

I was required to remove my solar nails (pink and whites) along with any nail polish (clear or color). I did have my surgery at a military hospital, and they're pretty strict with stuff.

I also had to remove my toenail polish, couldn't put on deodorant, and use the icky, drying, Dial antibacterial soap the morning of surgery.

I asked at my preop appt at the hospital and was told that the acrylics were fine as long as the polish was clear or light enough to see through. So, I just changed my polish to a see through color before surgery.

I agree with someone that technology has changed quite a bit and they can work around stuff like this. When I had my first surgery about 15 years ago, I was told absolutely no nail or toenail polish and certainly no false nails or overlays. The last couple of surgeries in the past few years, it didn't seem to be such an issue. Just ask someone in time to take them off if required, but I doubt you'll have to.