Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for a N.CA mentor/buddy

Hi, My name is Shannon and I am in the very beginning of the journey. I had orientation at Kaiser Richmond last year and wasn't quite ready. I'm way ready now. Last year it was all about the Lap Band but now I have found that Kaiser may not offer it anymore(?) and also am noticing that the later complications are way more than the sleeve so after much research, the sleeve it shall be:lol0:!! I would appreciate someone that has had the sleeve done and would like to be my buddy!!! Thank you in advance!! :001_tongue:

Hi Shannon,

I had my Sleeve done on February 17th by Dr. Baggs in Richmond. Feel free to message me if you have questions etc...

Oh awesome & much thanks - I was going to PM you but wasn't sure. Do you happen to know how many sleeve procedures Dr. Baggs has done? I actually had my surgeon appointment with him last year but flaked because I wasn't ready and still have major guilt over not going and wasting his time. I secretly hope they schedule me with him again so i can apologize first thing. Also, I can't seem to find anything in the patient binder about the sleeve so I am just following the binder for the regular stuff (diet etc.). I just quit smoking as of today so I'm a bit edgy, lol. :w00t:

Hi panda, I'm a norcal resident and had my surgery with Dr. Jossart at LapSF in San Francisco in July. Feel free to PM me any time with questions or anything!

Hi irkenpanda,

I'm from Auburn and am also going to Richmond. I chose to go with the sleeve after researching the gastic and the lapband. It just seems to be the way to go. I just got back on the 17th from my appointment with the psychologist and the weigh in, things are looking good. I've been scheduled to meet with Dr. Fisher next Wednesday in Vacaville and hopefully will also see my case manager who will give me a surgery date. I was pretty impressed with the staff in Richmond and have heard lots of good things about the doctors. Good luck on your journey and let's stay in touch.

SacTown is in the house!:)

Hey Panda! Welcome to VST firstly!

Secondly, please do not feel like you wasted anyone's time. Having WLS should never be taken lightly and you should be on board with it all the way, no iffs ands or butts... You did the right thing by cancelling if you were still unsure you wanted to do it.

It sounds like you are ready now, and you are full steam ahead and that is what matters now.

I wish you all the best! I'm also in Sacramento so we are neighbors. :) Keep in touch, and though I didn't go to Kaiser we will still be sleeve sisters and sleeve neighbors too!

Hugs!!! All the best on your upcoming journey :)

Omigosh - you are all so awesome!! Thank you for answering me.

Cyclemom, my parents live in Christian Valley up above Auburn. It's so beautiful up there!! How was the psych appointment?? pretty basic or really in depth?

Globetrotter, how are you feeling now that it has been a couple months? Do you still feel like you made a good decision?

Lilmissdiva, thank you so much for the encouragement - I AM totally ready and motivated!! Woo hoo!!!

I am having a bit of trouble with the pre-op diet (and it's only been like two days - lol). I am totally a "combination" eater so I always mix different food groups with eachother. This whole Protein first thing is a major change and going to bore me to death.

2nd day no cigarettes - yay go me!! :001_tongue:

Hi Panda!

Your right it's beautiful up here. I'm actually going to be moving to my own place in Cool right outside Auburn. I'm thinking I really need to lose my weight since I'll have five acres with chickens and goats. Boy am I making so big life changes. To answer your question, the psychologist appointment lasted for approximately 45 minutes. We went over medical history and discussed what my expectations were and if they were realistic. It was comfortable. I'm really glad you are on this site and going to the same facility, this will really provide some good information sharing.

Cyclemom

Hi Shannon,

Dr. Baggs is awesome. When I had my appointment with him in December, he said he had done 20 Sleeves. By now he's done dozens more. I think he did a great job with my Sleeve. No complications and have felt great all the way through. I have a 40f Sleeve and two friends of mine that had Sleeves done in the last three weeks are 34f which is great. I wish I had a smaller Sleeve but I figure the size doesn't matter so much as how well we stick to the plan.

If I remember correctly, they have you wait three months from when you quit smoking before they will operate. I think they do a blood test to determine that you've quit.

I think someone mentioned Dr. Fisher. The surgeons work together and Dr. Fisher was in on my surgery. I had a hernia (that I didn't know I had) repaired at the time of my Sleeve.

I spent 1 night in the hospital, then went home. I think everyone there is awesome.

Good luck to all of you!!

Call Richmond and ask them to mail you the Sleeve insert for the binder. The food plan is the same as it is for the RNY and Band during the pre-op weight loss stage.

Irken I am in central California so a little bit south of you. I had surgery outside of US but am more then willing to be a buddy. Seems like you got lots of us to lean on for questions. Keep us posted and stay strong with the smoking cessation. It would be wonderful for you to continue to be smoke free from here on out!

Thanks mp8btpc,

I am really doing pretty well on the no-smoking today. I get real hard days (home) and then easy days (days I'm at work). How are you feeling? I hear a lot about people with head hunger and such.....

Call Richmond and ask them to mail you the Sleeve insert for the binder. The food plan is the same as it is for the RNY and Band during the pre-op weight loss stage.

Hey Lee, I called Kaiser and Robin told me that I will get the insert when i go to the review class in a couple weeks. So I just have to be patient I guess.

Speaking of food plans, on this pre-op diet I am hungry and feel like I can't eat anything (I am a carb lover - not sugar, BREAD) so i think I am eating way less than I should be because I am frustrated. Anyone else have this issue?? :ohmy:

It always seems to be easier for people to stay distracted at work huh? One day at a time.

I am doing pretty well, I am eating pretty normally, as in I eat small amounts of pretty much all foods. I have not ventured into salad territory yet but I am looking forward to a really good salad. I take that back I went to Olive Garden on Saturday and had a tiny little scoop of salad. I hadn't even thought twice about it until now. WOW see how easy it is to forget hehe. It went down fine. I ate a half a bread stick also and brought home my child size portion of Pasta (my son ordered an adult meal so I ordered from the kids menu) hehe.

I am having some acid issues and I will be visiting the doctor Wednesday but overall I am doing well. Taking it one day at a time. '

I was a bread/pasta freak before surgery especially pastries, but I really do not crave sweets at all, it is quite strange. I took my sons to get a donut twice and took my Protein shake with me and enjoyed while the boys scarfed a donut or two each. I can honestly say it wasn't even hard for me.

I just take it one day at a time.

Thanks mp8btpc,

I am really doing pretty well on the no-smoking today. I get real hard days (home) and then easy days (days I'm at work). How are you feeling? I hear a lot about people with head hunger and such.....