Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in here from the UK ?

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I'm in the UK and looking for other people who are considering the sleeve or already going through the procedure who are in the UK.

I have a BMI of 56 and my GP has offered me weight loss surgery. I've been battling my weight for 10 years and I'm strongly considering the Sleeve.

Thanks for reading.

Hi I'm in the UK! Got sleeved nearly 7 weeks ago and I highly recommend it. Where and when are you planning to get sleeved?

Hi Chilo,

I am in Leeds, West Yorkshire so I'm not sure which hospital I would be having it at. I assume an NHS hospital since my GP has recommended weight loss surgery.

They put me on Xenical for the time being although I've not noticed any weight loss.

I am not sure how quick they are about it, but if I had my druthers I'd have it done in December and just get it done.

I'm kind of emotional thinking about it. It's really inspiring to read these boards.

How are you doing so far ?

Hiya,

yep, like Chilo, Uk too... I am 11 weeks out and doing ok... I have never lost weight like this, despite doing various diets etc... this is a great forum with loads of good advice... any questions ask away!! =]

Hi Coops,

I'm really curious about the pre-op process and what people went through before hand. I have a friend who did a gastric bypass in 2005 and I've heard its fairly similar.

Did you do yours on the NHS or private ?

Hey,

I had no pre op diet... my surgeon didn't recommend one, so I didn't follow one..lol... I know other surgeons are different though.

I am in Wales, so we are a little behind England, and although, my Dr recommended the surgery and applied for me to do it on the NHS I was declinded because I was too small (yeah, righto!) and I had no serious medical complaints. I had to go private, and got a loan out to pay for it! I don't regret doing that as I am feeling the benefits...

How far along the process are you?

I got it done privately, my BMI wasn't that high and I would have to wait ages(more than a year, my GP did refere me though but even to see the consultant i would have to wait months), so we went self-pay (i say we cause hubby is the one paying). I've been on Xenical, and any other drugs available, lost a bit and then went right up and more. It is very emotional but worth it in the end. What is druthers??

Coops at last i can put a face to the name, you are very pretty! I did do a 2 week preop diet, mainly to reduce the size of the iver to make the procedure a bit easier. I was on yoghurts, fruit, milk coffee tea and that was about it. Having said that only lost a couple of pounds even though I starved to death, now I'm hardly even hungry!

Chilo,

awwww thank you... I don't feel that pretty at the moment mind...lol ... I thought I should put a pic on just incase peeps thought I was a bloke... as Cooper is my surname, my hubby also gets called Coops!!!

Hi!

I am in the UK - Guernsey to be precise. I was sleeved 10 days ago in Southampton and had a great experience.

These boards are definitely the place to be for advice and reassurance about anything at all. Apart from a few food/drink items not being available in the UK (how many times have I seen Gatorade mentioned? :)) and names of medications varying, the advice crosses over just fine wherever in the world you are.

Best of luck in your journey, and any questions please feel free to ask!

xxx

Hi

I'm in the UK, down in Hampshire. I have a high BMI and am due to have my surgery in London on the NHS. I believe each county or health district has a different set of criteria for Bariatric Surgery.

I have had to jump through quite a few hoops to get it but I am now 15 days away to getting Sleeved in London. You may find your journey easier in Yorkshire but the BOSPA website should give you a lot of advise to help you out on citeria for your region. I have also found the boards here to be very helpful in my journey.

Take care

Sue

. I'm an American, married to an Englishman.

I'm a Welshwoman, married to an Englishman...lol!! :thumbup1: