Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you go to Mexico alone for surgery?

I would recommend someone going with you. I went to Mexico in July and brought my mom. I needed her so much while I was there. Help me to the bathroom, put a movie in, help me to explain what I wanted to the nurse, hey, just keep me company. Of course you can do it alone but if possible, you should try to bring someone.

Exactly what Julie6 said. You would be more then safe with the hospital staff only but for moral support I say bring someone.I would say try to bring someone that you are close to...don't just bring anyone. Does that make sense?

I had my mom with me and she always gives me a sense of peace. I was very emotional after surgery though probably nobody would have known that by looking at me but my mom of course could tell and knew exactly what I needed. She pushed my iv pump around the halls every stinking time I walked to the bathroom. She would re-wet the cold cloth I put on my head. blah blah

It was great to have her. I would have survived alone though.

I went alone. My boyfriend really wanted to go with me, but couldn't due to some other commitments, so he even offered to pay for a friend's flight just to have someone come with me. I refused, of course.

Everything went fine. There were 2 other women who had VSG on the same day. We'd all go for walks and socialize amongst ourselves and with patients from the day before and the day after several times a day. The nurses check on you quite regularly and the nurse's desk is close by, so all your needs are met. There's wireless and TV at the hospital, so I spent most of my day surfing this board, playing computer games, and talking to friends on Skype or MSN. I also brought books and magazines with me. I started getting quite bored around day 3, but that's about it.

Unless you are really scared and there's someone who wouldn't mind ponying up the cash for the trip, I really don't feel that you need anyone there.

Check through your patient coordinator if there will be others traveling to have surgery at the same time as you. That way if you do end up going without a friend, you'll at least have other people around who will likely be more than happy to help you. A lot of times those groups turn out to be really great support systems.

im going by myself in Oct, wish i had someone to go with but my husband has to stay with the kids.

I too am going alone in two weeks! My hubby is still in Europe with his sick mom, and because it is on a wednesday, difficult for my working friends to take a week off.

I am sure I will be more than fine!

I went alone and I am glad I did. I didn't need anyone and the last thing I would want is somebody around. I felt fine and perfectly comfortable being alone.

I went alone also, in fact I was there with BlackBerryJuice. The three of us who were having surgery on the same day, met as Ernesto picked us up at the San Diego airport, and became "littermates." As BBJ says, we took walks together, compared notes, went to the pharmacy together, and did quite a bit of socializing, along with people who had their surgery the days before and after we did. Since Aceves keeps his patients for three nights (which was one of the factors that helped me decide on Mexico), we had several people to keep us company.

I had a friend who was willing to come down with me, but I read on these boards that a lot of people said their friend or family member didn't have a lot to do, and in fact a couple people mentioned that they were a little too focused on worrying about their companion. So I decided to go alone, and it was the right decision for me.

The hospital staff was VERY attentive, Dr Aceves and Dr Campos came by several times a day, and I had zero complications or problems. If you're thinking of Aceves, I would recommend him without reservation.

I went alone and was relieved not to have to worry about someone else being bored or sitting there staring at me. That being said, I had a lot of nausea post op because of one of my seizure medications intensifying all the anisthetics, etc. I ended up staying there an extra day and I had an emotional meltdown when Dr. Aceves told me he really felt like it would be in my best interest. Because of this and how difficult I found the airport I wish that I had taken someone.

I went a week ago with my best friend and it did help her experience. The staff there are amazing and will do anything for you, but there are still all those little things that having someone there that you love is very comforting. (Also while I was there I was able to get my teeth whitened on the CHEAP, BONUS!!!!) Best of luck with your decision.

Anna