Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tons of questions from a newbie!

Hello,

I recently began researching VSG after seeing someone who had lost 89 lbs in 5 months. I stumbled upon this forum which has been a wealth of information.

Here's my story...

I have a BMI of 32. I have struggled with yo-yo dieting for the last 15 years. In the end, I always gain it all back and then some. I am about the highest I've ever been now (180 lbs) and so frustrated. I feel like I will never be able to conquer this feat on my own. I'm interested in Dr. Aceves performing the procedure. My concern is whether he would be willing to perform it on me since my BMI is on the lower side. (I don't have any other real medical issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) Anyone out there with my circumstances had the procedure done? Also, what is the approximate turn around time for scheduling surgery from the initial point of contact with him?

P.S. Do you really lose your hair? ? I saw that somewhere I think. :thumbup:

I appreciate any help anyone can give. You all are such an inspiration.

Misty

I know several people get VGS with low BMI. You can contact Dr. Aceves' office to find out for sure.

Many people have hair loss after surgery. If you take Biotin, it helps and there are special shampoos and scalp treatments that help as well. The hair gets thinner, but I have yet to hear of anyone getting bald spots or anything that bad. Having your hair styled different or using barettes, combs, etc. can help hide thinning until it grows back. It usually lasts a few months and then you will see new hairs growing back in.

I have a BMI that barely makes 35 and had to 'pad' myself at my initial consult to be sure i weighed enough. I'm short (5'1) so any amount of weight looks worse on someone like me. I'm tired of being on the yo-yo train as well.

My Dr said as long as you eat your recommended grams of Protein, your hair loss should be minimal. But i guess like anything, it does depend on each individual.

Good luck on your journey!

My bmi was 32.8 when I initially started looking at surgery. I believe a couple girls who were around your BMI have used doctor Aceves. I don't think there is a huge waiting list if you have the funds to do the surgery. They do state you need a passport and that takes some time but others have stated if you have proof of applying for the passport along with your birth certificate and your i.d on hand that there is not a problem at the border.

I was like you I just can not get the weight off and keep it. I get tired of struggling to lose these 50 or so pounds. I knew if I let myself go I could get even bigger. I proved that after a stress even happened in June and I gained 15 pounds more before I went to have surgery. I had no medical conditions or comorbities YET. So I paid out of pocket to go have it done. If I was heavier or had the health problems my insurance covers the procedure but that just wasn't an option for me.

Dr. Aceves is great. You can get your surgery done very quickly after you fill out the medical form he will email to you. I only had 30 lbs to lose when I had my band to sleeve revision.

I lost half my hair and got in all the required amounts of Protein and took Biotin 3x per day.

If you call them, they will answer all your questions.

Thanks ladies. The information helps tremendously!

I see you had your surgery a little over a year ago. Can I ask how long it took for your hair to grow back? Is it as thick as it used to be prior to surgery or will it always be thinner? Does this happen because of a lack of Vitamins from food? Thanks so much for your help.

Dr. Aceves is great. You can get your surgery done very quickly after you fill out the medical form he will email to you. I only had 30 lbs to lose when I had my band to sleeve revision.

I lost half my hair and got in all the required amounts of Protein and took Biotin 3x per day.

If you call them, they will answer all your questions.

My hair is growing back but it's still not as thick as it was. It's going to take awhile since I lost so much.

Nobody really knows what causes it. There have been some articles posted that it's just from the shock to your body that surgery causes. I don't think it has anything to do with lack of Vitamins because I took hair and nails Vitamins, a multiple Vitamin,

Zinc ( Dr Aceves suggested zinc)Biotin, and anything anyone suggested to me.