Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring what to buy?

I had a thread bookmarked that had a list of what to take with you for your surgery and also a list of items that you will need when you get home but alas I can't find it now. Are there favorite blenders? shakes? What do you wish you would have brought with you for your surgery?

I wish I had brought a pair of slippers with me! xx

I forgot to take some Gas X with me. The gas pains were bad at times. For some reason, they wouldn't give me any at the hospital and I just stopped fighting it. The doc suggested gaviscon when I got home so I don't know why they wouldn't give me something in the hospital. They did give me Prevacid though.

My surgery is in a week and I am also curious what I need to take with me. I'm going to be in the hospital for about 5-6 days- I feel like I'm going on vacation. Haha. I've been trying to stock up on small food containers for storing portioned sized left overs and chewable vitamins and a blender and all that good stuff. But I have this constant nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I'm forgetting something. And knowing my luck it will be something important.

Overpacking is pretty much a waste. You will be resting/sleeping or walking after surgery (mostly resting). With pain killers,etc. you won't do much reading of books or magazines.

The main things to take are:

-loose fitting comfortable clothes to wear home, as you will have some swelling and incision will be tender

-chap stick, anesthesia dries your mouth and lips big time and it is a while before they let you drink

-slippers or comfortable walking shoes

-toothbrush/paste and mouthwash, you get a nasty taste in your mouth after surgery

- GasX strips

WHAT TO HAVE WHEN YOU GET HOME:

- I use a magic bullet for Protein shakes and to blend foods when hitting the "mushie" phase

-get samples of Protein powders and Vitamins, your tastes will change after anesthesia and you may hate the flavors of protein that you like today. check out this link:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/protein-drinks-powders/1325-places-get-liquid-protein-samples.html

- GasX strips

-any Vitamins your surgeon recommends

-liquid tylenol, benedryl, or liquid form of any other OTC meds you use

-talk to your PCP to get liquid form of other meds you take or see if they come in chewable form

Edited by Maddie

Ask Nina to email the list that they have. They have a standard list of what to take with you and what you will need when you come home.

The main thing is flip flops. It's hot down there at this time of year and you need to walk and need them because they are easy to put on and take off.

I got some gas x chewable tabs?? Will that work? Also I bought a blender at Target but now I read about the Magic Bullet. But YIKES it's 50 bucks. Is the MB that much better?

No, I have the Walmart brand that's like a magic bullet and I've been using it for 3 years.

yeah i've got a $15 Hamilton Beach blender that works just as well. I've also found that the Max Protein flavors taste really good, but like others said definitely taste for yourself! GNC and some healthfood stores will let you return powders you don't like, so I just did it that way instead of buying a million samples. Up to you!

I'm definitely interested in what to pack too. I'm just about a week away now! What about underwear, ladies? Did you even bother with your regular underwire bra, or just wear a sports bra or what? What about panties? A lot of mine are the low-rise kind so I'm thinking they won't get in the way of the incisions? Or should I just plan on going commando hahah

I went commando while in my lose cotton jammie bottoms. Screw the underwear! I didn't bother with the bra either. If you have an i.v in then it will have to be capped off and stuff while you get it on and off, but I guess you would do that while changing clothes anyways but I can't stand to sleep in one so I said forget that too. I'd rather sit in the bed with all my loveliness hanging out! HEHE

It was just me, my jammies, my flip flops for walking and my hair piled on top of my head in a loose rubber band. I was looking HOT!

P.S i did brush my teeth and shower though

I went to US hospital-heres what I'm glad I brought:

Toothbrush/paste

My own shampoos/body soap/deoderant

chapstick

slippers/socks with the rubber stuff on them

gasx

most favorite is my own pjs, gown kept falling off me and at one point, i was walking the hall with my booty hanging out for all to see!-tape fell off!! OK I was drugged enought not to care LOL Make sure your pjs fit your stomach without pulling.

-IF dr doesnt give you some kind of acid reducer-make sure you have some on hand.

When home I got a couple gallons of drinking Water, its so refreshing in fridge.

also make sure you have Protein supp drink, you can pre make and sip on it during day!

thats about it!