Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days Post-Op -- Feel Ill-Prepared

Hey there everyone! I am a mid-30's male and this is one of my first posts (as I hope to become a regular in this very helpful forum of friends). I am about 10 days post-op on the sleeve (operation was Mon, Aug 30th).

My Pre-Op weight loss requirement (no SPECIFIC diet) was 15 lbs...I lost 13.2 but was still sleeved by the grace of God (and one great nurse). I've lost between 5-10 lbs since (simply depends on when I weigh during the day). This approx 30 lb weight loss (415 to 385 lbs) has had an unprecedented amazing effect on my overall feeling of physical well-being and real ability). I was able to roll BOTH trash cans to the curb yesterday without getting "winded". Although that sounds so small, that is HUGE (as I used to have to catch my breath before the long - really short - walk back up the driveway after dropping off the cans).

SO - I've had IMMENSE reward with very little effort thus far (relatively speaking). That is the kind of feedback that can really turn people around! That's also why I am so embarrassed to say that I have ALREADY been "cheating" on this program (much like I have every other) to the extent that I can get by with (without getting "caught"). I've not been following some of the rules and have to wonder -- "what is it in my subconscious mind that drives me to "rebel" against things such as this?

I'm a mid-30's happy husband and father who generally loves life. But when I feel restrictions put on me (by myself or others), my gut reaction is to asses and rebel (meaning: I figure out how much I can probably get away with and then, by all means, do it). I don't remember the last time I followed the "rules" when it comes to matters such as this (as important as they are).

Please forgive my late-night meanderings (as that is pretty much what these are)...but they are true. Is there anybody out there that is reading this thinking, "...yeah, that is me too!" or even better, someone saying "...I also had that problem until..."? I would love to hear from either of you!

Best,

Cardsfan

Edited by Cardsfan
Misspelling in title

Hi Cardsfan

Can I ask, when you say you've already cheated on this plan... how?

Please, please remember that this isn't like any other diet, the guidelines put in place by your surgeon are done so to protect your surgery and your new stomach.

Eating foods outside of your guidelines (if thats what you meant by cheating) can be really harmful especially as you're only 10 days out and still at risk from leaks - I think 6 weeks is a safe zone to get past before risks are minimised.

You have the rest of your life to eat whatever you want, so please try and stick to the guide you have.... I know the last think I wanted was for a leak to happen, having had problems with a previous unrelated surgery years ago I was just thrilled when my sleeve op went without any complications.

I was a self pay so I had to make sure that as it cost so much I really couldn't let myself falter from the 'rules' as I couldn't afford the money or the time to put things right.

Good luck with it all..... don't do too much too soon, keep up with the walking and you'll find it drops off, even by sticking to the rules.

I am so embarrassed to say that I have ALREADY been "cheating" on this program (much like I have every other) to the extent that I can get by with (without getting "caught"). I've not been following some of the rules and have to wonder -- "what is it in my subconscious mind that drives me to "rebel" against things such as this?

I'm in a similar boat, male, same age, kids, etc... even had my surgery the day after you. While you feel great, you need to be <very careful> and follow your physician's diet plan to a "T". Failure to do so will lead to leaks, infections, and all sorts of very bad things. I'm scared to death to have any of those things happen to me - the descriptions are horrible from what I've read. Maybe a little "fear" would be good for you? Do some forum searches on infections, leaks, etc. and see what others have had happen.

Best of luck to you and please stick with the diet!

I am going to echo what has already been said. Right now your goal can't be weight related, your goal is to heal. You just had 80 percent of a vital organ removed. Your body needs you to be very careful about what you put inside it. Follow these rules so carefully!

That being said, when you are to the place that you can eat normal foods and especially when you get to your goal, this is the best wls of all. You will still have a fully functional stomach. Last night I had a couple bites of cheesecake and they were really yummy, I didn't obsess over them, and my health was not at all jeopardized. The sleeve is certainly not a sure thing, its still all you. And if you can refocus and look at these strict eating phases as merely temporary I bet you can get through it.

Remember how good this initial loss has made you feel and I promise that as that continues the way you feel will improve exponentially. Stay focused, you really can do this.

Anna