Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready to Switch from clear liquids to Regular Food

Hello All,

My name is Cheryl and I was Banded on May.22,2006. I have been on Clear liquids since and on Monday I am told to start regular foods. I am real nervous about this. I have been steadily losing 1 pound a day since day one and I am nervous that when I start eating again I will gain weight. I don't no about anyone else but it always was that once I start eating it is very easy for it to get out of control. Any how I just weighed in at 199.5 and feel that maybe I should stay on clear fluids until I am a little futher away from the 200 mark. Does that sound twisted?? It has been so long since I have gotten down this far I am scared about losing control. Well I would appreciate any insight you all have to give.

Thanks and have a great Day

May.22,2006-215

June.08,2006-199.5

Don't you go to mushies next before regular foods? Most people here do

x # of days on Clear Liquids (I think normally 3 days)

x # of days or weeks on full liquids (I think normally 2 weeks)

x# of weeks on mushies (I think normally 2 more weeks)

solid food not until 4 weeks at least.

I was told from my doctor to do clear liquids for 3 weeks then just go straight to solids. I asked about soft foods and he said thats useless cause it goes right threw the band like liquids. He said I need to eat crunchy stuff that will make me have the fullness sensation.

If your Dr told you to move on to regular foods, I would recommend that you start with soft foods and see how ya do. Moist fish, cottage cheese, canned fruits... things like that. After adjusting to those, then slowly progress on to more solid foods.

Be aware that breads tend to stick, because no matter how much you chew they can glom back together in the stomach and form a large sticky blob that wont fit through the banded area of your stomach.

Also be careful of fruits and veggies that are fiberous or have skins, like grapes, pineapple, oranges, potatoes, broccoli. Try them if you want, but take small bites and chew a LOT. Dont hesistate to spit out anything that you sense will be a problem.

Steaks and hamburger are odd things. Some people can eat one and not the other. Some can eat both, while others cant eat either.

Just go slowly and be very aware of what you are eating, how much you are chewing and how fast you are eating. You should be fine. :)

Crunchy things? *chuckles* The only crunchy foods I know of, besides veggies, are chips and other foods that are full of fat or sugar.

Try to focus on Protein. That is what will fill you up. Moist fish fillets and tuna with fat free dressing mixed in is a good place to start.

You no its also alot easy to be able to track how much calories your taking in when all you have is Protein Drinks and tea and sugarfree Jello and pops. I no that I am not over doing it in calories but with food its harder for me to keep track of I never was good at the weight watcher thing....

Thanks for your input photo, I will most likely try tuna. Do you normally stick with a low carb thing? li ke no breading or sugar?? I was thinking of still haveing the shakes for Breakfast and luch and just eating dinner with the family what do you think about that to start off with??

I don't no why the doc said crunchies I no he didn't mean chips thats for sure.

True, but the only concern you should have right now is getting your stomach healed and your band settled in. The calorie counting and weight loss will come after healing when you get a fill. I tracked my calories once I started on mushies and I found it very hard to eat 600 calories a day. I don't think you'll be in any danger of overeating unless you turn to liquid calories like ice cream.

Well if I am starting on regular foods at 3 weeks shouldn't the band me healed? I see your point when I start getting the fills then I will lose more, the steppping on the scale everyday is a mad obsession I have and when it doesn't move or goes higher I feel that I am eating too much when I no thats not always the case. STRANGE I no.

Oh geeze! *laughs* Im a scale addict too. My husband takes the battery out and hides it until weigh in day (Wednesdays). You might try that, it sure helped me. Stepping on that scale every time you walk in the bathroom will drive you to depression!

Hm, Im not sure how to answer your question about your healing. I know that many Drs are of differing opinions about the post-op diet. My Dr had me on full liquids for three weeks, mushies for three more but I could gradually introduce more solid foods in the third week of mushies.

I think of the stitches in the stomach that hold that band in place. I also think about the swelling that will subside with time. Both of those things need to be complete before that band is really seated in there and will have less chance of slipping. Part of the reason we progress slowly to more solid foods is to avoid vomiting or PBs. The wretching could easily cause the band to slip. Make sense?

Is your Dr local? Have you seen him for a follow up yet?

I threw out my scale then the next time we were at the store I bought another one!!!

I saw my doc one week after the surgery he then told me on June12th I could start regular foods. I think I am just stressing over this a bit too much!!

What do you think about the 2 shakes a day then dinner with the family thing??

I think that solid food is preferrable to liquid food. Though, until you can eat enough to get your 60 grams of Protein (minimum) per day, I would continue with the shakes. Some people find they have more restriction in the mornings and just rely on a shake for breakfast, which is fine too.

Just realized that I missed your question about low carb. Carbs from sugars and flours usually tend to start us on cycles of over-eating that are very hard to break. The only carbs I eat now are in fruits and veggies.

Yep, I do avoid breaded foods. Its just empty calories that Id rather use on something that will actually help me feel full longer. Carbs burn up quickly and then the body starts calling for more food. Also, being the dough freak that I am, I just completely stay away from all breads and pastas. Those are my downfall and luckily they are also foods that bandstsers quite frequently have trouble with, so I haven't even tried them. I just tell myself that I can no longer eat that, and I seem to be accepting that. *grins*

I also stay away from sugar. I use Splenda but the only thing I ever use it in is iced tea. There is some sugar in canned fruits, but I buy the low sugar varitey and don't drink the juice.