Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready for a change

Hey everybody!

I've been lurking for a bit and have decided to finally say hello. I'm pretty early on in my journey as I've only just recently started researching different surgery options. I'm not sure yet whether or not I will make it down that road, but I've at least decided that if I do, getting a VSG is the way to go for me.

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, but now that I'm 31 and nearly 300lbs, I've decided I need some help. I don't have any health issues other than the occasional back/joint paint (thank goodness) but I want to make sure I keep it that way by getting rid of this excess weight. There are so many things I want to accomplish in this life and I always feel like my body is holding me back because it's not strong enough or fit enough.

I have an appointment with my PCP soon to discuss surgery as an option for me and I'll be attending a local information seminar next week, so I'm definitely moving things forward to see if this is the right decision for me. I think it is, but I want to be absolutely sure.

Anywho, just wanted to say how great I think this board is and how much I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I know that if I do get the surgery, I'll already have a great support system here. For those of you that have had or will have the surgery, what was the major motivating factor for you?

Welcome and I hope your journey, (whichever you decide to take) is a succesfull one

:-)

Welcome to the forum!

My highest was 303. When I had Lap Band surgery in 2005 I was 297. I originally lost 140lbs and got down to the 160's. That didn't last that long because the band didn't work well. It totally messed up about a year ago and I spent the past 6 months on a liquid diet. My weight had stayed in the lower 230's for the past couple years even through a pregnancy. I had my pre-op for the sleeve 3 weeks ago and since then I have lost 9 pounds. Of course I gained 7lbs off IV fluids in the hospital.

This website if full of wonderful and supportive people no matter what route you choose. In the end it's whatever you can live with.

Best of luck.

Oh, I should also note that some of my concerns are losing weight too quickly and/or losing too much and ending up with a lot of loose skin. I really don't want to have to worry about getting plastic surgery afterward. I'd love to hear what people's experiences have been with this and if exercise has helped.

I'd also like to know what the most common side-effects people (particularly long-term folks) have experienced and how they've handled them.

Also, how do you deal with people who ask or comment on your weight loss? Do you tell them straight out that you've had surgery or are you more vague about it?