Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So mad at my PCP *vent alert*

OMG, *vent alert*

So I had 4 episodes of major nausea and dry-heaving last night. I called Dr. Aceves and while he thought it was most likely major acid reflux, he wanted to rule out a diverticulum and asked that I get an upper GI X-ray. I went to our university health services (where I go for all my PCP needs) to ask the doctor to request the study.

I saw this doc I had never seen before. I gave her the backstory, and as soon as I mentioned having my surgery in Mexico, she had this condescending sneer on her face. I felt the need to defend my choice, so I explained I wasn't about to wait 5 years here til I got to 300 lbs and developed multiple comorbidities and didn't have 20+ grand to get it done here privately. She made some comment about how "I'm not saying the procedure is a bad idea, but going abroad for it was." Well, guess what, 1) I've already done it, so no one cares if you think it was a bad decision 2) I'm not coming here to ask for your opinions on my procedure, I'm here to get a fluoro requisition.:)

Anyway, then I mentioned my weekend trip to the ER and commented about how I got NO imaging done, while someone else I know (someone from the forum here) had fluro done when she went back to Mexicali for some complications. She made some comment about how "They overimage everything in the US." First off, it's not the US, it's Mexico; second, you don't know ANYTHING about the procedure and what the follow-up and the potential complications are, while my surgeon specializes it. So please order the damn fluoroscopy and STFU.:biggrin0:

I left FUMING. Called my boyfriend, he encouraged me to file a complaint, and I did just that. SO MAD!:scared0:

I'm sorry you had to deal with such nonsense when ever I talk about the surgery even though I did it here in the US I always say that there are four doctors in Mexico that are highly regarded and respected and probably have more experience then most of the US doctors.

Nancy

Sorry, it must be soooo frustrating. I would be pissed too. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Holy cow! Some ppl just don't know when to keep their lips zipped. I hope you recover soon and are able to figure out what's the culprit. :001_tongue:

Thanks....the most frustrating thing for me was that I felt that she didn't give a rip about the fact that I wasn't feeling well. I felt no concern coming from her whatsoever.

I shared this with a friend who said she also saw her for something a while ago and got this really uncalled-for 20-min contraception lecture after she told the doctor she needed birth control pills to control her PCOS - even though she emphatically said it was not for birth control purposes. Sounds like this doctor exhibits a certain pattern of behaviour, so I'm glad I filed a complaint about her.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that! People are such jerks sometimes! I hope you have a better day! :confused: And girl, file the compliant! Let them hear you until the sun comes up! :) Good luck!

Hi BBj,

Just saw this. Yeah, I got the same load of crap from my PCP, who wouldn't even talk to me as soon as she heard the words "surgery in Mexico". I was told to contact my surgeon. So I got in the car and drove to Mexico. Unfortunately, you can't do that. Did you ever get your GI studies done? I am anxious to find out what the problem is. It doesn't sound like a leak though.

I wish you well. I am doing well except for that blasted diahrrea. Can't wait to get on soft foods tomorrow so I can stop it up a bit. Keep in touch.

gg

Hi BBj,

Just saw this. Yeah, I got the same load of crap from my PCP, who wouldn't even talk to me as soon as she heard the words "surgery in Mexico". I was told to contact my surgeon. So I got in the car and drove to Mexico. Unfortunately, you can't do that. Did you ever get your GI studies done? I am anxious to find out what the problem is. It doesn't sound like a leak though.

I wish you well. I am doing well except for that blasted diahrrea. Can't wait to get on soft foods tomorrow so I can stop it up a bit. Keep in touch.

gg

Hey, thanks! I can't get my imaging til 2.5 weeks from now. Dr. Aceves foolishly thought I could get it done the same day...welcome to Canada, lol. I'd definitely just go to Mexico if I were closer.

Yes, Mexican medicine is definitely in it for the caring, not the money. Dr. Campos was shocked when he heard my PCP wouldn't even talk to me. Had her secretary call me and tell me to see my surgeon. She could have treated my lungs. But I never even got the chance to tell her my symptoms. Aceves only knows his own style of medicine which is awesome and he's in it for the patients not the Benjamins. USmedicine is all about money, either making it or not paying it out in litigation. Sad...

gg

BlackBerry juice - I can so identify with what you are saying. 3 months after my surgery (Dr. Aceves in Mexacali) I had upper GI Study here in US (as recommended by Dr. Aceves) - yep same thing...the Radiologist wanted to know "Why Mexico?" - then he said "Did it cost less" I told him cost had nothing to do with it that I was ready to pay for it here in the states but that Doctors in the States don't have the experience Dr. Aceves has and that when you compare most U.S. bariatric surgeons to Dr. Aceves' experience (with the VSG) there is just no comparison.- the Radiologist was like: "uh huh". I was SO MAD! Afterward I typed a letter to this arrogant Radiologist telling him about Dr. Aceves' experience and education, etc. I then faxed it to the Radiologist - I was fuming! Of course no response. And by the way: I have had NO ill effects from the surgeon - never threw up even once - and all my labs are perfect. My weight loss is slooooow - and that's OK. And by the way - Gaby at Dr. Aceves' Office is totally fantastic - I had this surgeon 5 months ago and that lady is still answering questions, getting info for me - and I mean quick! She always gets back to me the same day. I have nothing but praise for Dr. Aceves and his staff.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with the doctor and the Canadian Health System.

As far as me, an "over-radiated Texan" I haven't been back to my PCP post-op. My surgeon is here in Dallas. I'm sure though with the way my PCP acts and as long as I have been with him, he would tell me to Fudge Off and not come back if I had been to Mexicali to have the surgery done. Honestly it came down to either Dr. Castro here in Dallas or Dr. Aceves. The ONLY reason I didn't see Dr. Aceves was because my insurance was covering the Lap Band removal portion and Dr. Castro's office had set up a cheaper than Mexico price for the sleeve part for me to pay out of pocket. I am of course still appealing my insurance company which I could not have done if I had gone with Dr. Aceves unfortunately.

I believe if Dr. Aceves practice 20 miles north (however far it is from San Diego) nobody would think twice about his abilities. It's the fact he's in Mexico. Dr. Castro, the surgeon I used, was educated in Mexico and I feel very much like he is an "old school" what's best for the patient not MY wallet kinda doctor which makes me respect him more and more.

Take care and get to feeling better!

I'm afraid of this when I speak to my PCP. I'm prepared to ask him what HE knows about surgery in Mexico? Don't judge something you are completely uneducated about. I mean really, do they have any idea about surgery in Mexico, no they don't, so the fact that they judge it is just outright stupidity. Stupidity makes me sick, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with it.