Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 weeks out today- an update, and thanks

Howdy folks,

For all of you who have been so supportive during my lengthy sagas, both pre and post-op, I thought I'd give an update:

So, pain-wise, most of it is gone. A little occasional epigastric pressure, but no real pain. I still am burping, but I'm getting better at knowing the signs that I need to take a pause in my intake (I feel it right at the back of my upper esophagus).

I started on full liquids and purees early. Believe it or not, the thicker liquids just seem to go down easier. Hot or cold doesn't seem to matter too much, but thickness helps. I don't know why.

Calorie-wise, I started eating ice cream. Yes, ice cream. Hagen Das chocolate Peanut Butter, no less. Reason? The scale was going down WAY too quickly. I really don't want to lose more than 3lbs/week. I want to keep my daily calorie intake between 1000-1400. I was doing everything I could and could barely crack 600. This has helped. It's self-limiting, since I can only ingest so much at a time, and also, it is so fatty, I don't really want too much at a time. I have nevertheless lost 11lbs since my surgery 14 days ago.

Rash-wise: I had a terrible eczematic reaction to the Lovenox injection. That has been resolving really well with the big-gun steroid they gave me. The blisters are gone and hopefully, the scars will fade in time (otherwise, they'll be gone with the abdominoplasty!!). NOW, however, I have a big-ass rash all over my torso, back, thighs, and starting on my arms!!! We don't know why that's happening. My primary doc thinks it might be a reaction to the Lortab (hydrocodone) Syrup. I started taking it again, because with all of the immobility, my lower back went into a monumental spasm. Husband had to come home the other day from work- I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself! Anyway, the huz is out getting me Benadryl and prednisone for that, and I'm using the steroid cream again.

Jesus, was actually looking forward to starting back to work tomorrow on light duty! I'm SO bored, isolated... But Benadryl makes me a zombie, so here I go... Luckily, I have a great boss.

So, I'm itchy as all hell (again!), but without the blisters (thank god!). The back is slowly improving, and I'm actually thinking I did the right thing with this surgery!

To everyone who is pre-op and scared and newly post-op and scared/in pain/depressed etc... it HAS gotten better. Stomach-wise, I feel MUCH more normal. I think I had a more difficult recovery than most with all of the allergic reactions and the back spasm (caused partly or mostly by the fact that I couldn't get dressed and walk like I needed to, with the rashes).

I really REALLY appreciate the support I received from the members of this site. You REALLY helped me through those dark dark days and nights when it seemed like it would NEVER get better and that I had made a huge mistake. Thank you SO very much.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better ... recovery seems to be going well.

I know you know this, but be careful with the icecream. The first months are a time to re-learn proper eating behaviors and establish lifelong patterns. If you are concerned about losing too quickly, talk to your surgeon or nutritionist and get their advice. If they are ok with the ice cream, then go for it.