Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

considering the sleeve- please give me your results and why you chose this

I am at my largest weight ever and my lungs are slowly giving out on me. I can do a low carb diet and lose 50 to 60 lbs, but then I put it right back on and add more on top of that. So, I decided to go to a seminar and I have chosen the sleeve. My insurance told me the only requirements I had to meet for obesity surgery was to be over 21 and have a bmi over 40 and I wouldn't have to have any other symptoms to have surgery. Now, I'm waiting on them, the doctor has sent a predetermination.

Can you guys give me a little feed back on ur results and would you do it again? Any side effects? Any helpful links you might know? I am so glad I found this site, I think it will be lots of help!

115lbs lost in 6.5 months that got me to goal weight of 148lbs at 5'2" tall. I continued to lose sporadically over the next 4 months to my current weight of 120-125lbs on any given day.

I adhered to the post-op dietary guideline and saw results. It was easy for me to eat Protein first, stay within my calorie and carb guidelines to be successful. Maintenance was a little tricky because I had to add more calories and carbs for my body to stop losing weight. I've been easily maintaining for the last 4 or so months.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. No regrets, life is as normal as it could be. I eat and drink anything I want just in moderation and smaller portions.

I'll add you to my friend's list, and you'll be able to review my blog that is chalked full of research articles, my journey, and my days early out for the first few months.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me via the private message system on this site.

Hi there and welcome. I cannot give you my results yet, but I can tell you why I chose the sleeve. Based on current medical research the sleeve provides almost comparable results to gastric-bypass and in many cases, surpasses that of the lap band. I prefer the sleeve because there is less tinkering with the small intestine, and I have an autoimmune disease that impacts my small intestine.

Tiffy's response provides great information on moving forward once you've had the surgery. I know I'll listen to her...she's been so successful with her journey and generous with her knowledge.

To our good health!

Fit

My husband and I both had surgery in February 2010. We were both self pay, and it has been the best thing we have ever done for ourselves. We would do it all over again, no question at all. He has lost 100#, I have lost 90#, we are both about 20# from goal. It doesn't feel like a diet, we really can eat whatever we want, we just don't want very much. We have lost weight many times before only to gain it back plus more, year after year.

Good Luck with your decision.:thumbup1:

Tommorow is my four month sleeve-iversary and I have lost 75 pounds. I am still fairly new at everything, but it has been great so far. I am consistently losing and have found food choices easy now that the hunger is gone. I am currently losing some hair but I am told it is temporary and for me a small price to pay for finally having control over food. I love that there are no malabsorption issues with the sleeve, that was one thing that kept me away from the gastric bypass. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My life has changed completely for the positive.

food had been my best friend and worst enemy for many years, especially when I would pig out on sweets or other tasty things. It got to where I could no longer work effectively, and I wanted a serious change, not just another diet. I looked at the lap-band, but there were too many issues with reflux and slippage. Plus, VSG removes the stomach tissue which produces hunger hormone, and lap-band does not. I decided that all my stomach ever did was get me into trouble, and I really did not need most of it given that food is available 24/7. So, I did the VSG, and except for a little heartburn, everything has gone well. I have a lot of weight to lose yet, but I have lost so much that I can exercise and work so much more easily, and I feel so much better than a couple of months ago.

Make your own decision based on your own circumstances, but I love my new small stomach.

My BMI was 35.1 and I felt my two biggest issues were feeling hungry once I started eating and the desire to feel full. So I chose VSG and had surgery on 8/17. Everything has gone smoothly and I don't feel hungry. I've lost 40 lbs since August 1st. I'm glad I did it.

:thumbup:

You can see my result on my ticker below my signature. I lost a lot of weight by myself, then yo-yoed for a few years, never getting below a BMI 34 at any point. I had a little difficulty with the surgery (blood loss, but I recovered fine) and am now down to a normal BMI. I've never been happier in my life. Never felt better. I enjoy my life more than ever before. I'd say go for it.

That said, there are risks involved and the first months aren't that easy. But it's doable. For me, I think it helped that I was never bulimic or anything, I just ate a LOT. Loved food. Still do, but now I only eat about 1/2 of what I used to.

I had a lapband and was unhappy with all the horrible things you have to put up with when you have one. My surgeon told me about the sleeve and I decided to do it the same time I had my gall bladder removed. I was able to lose the rest of my excess weight and am now at goal. Having a sleeve is easy in my opinion. It forces you to make better decisions about eating. My tummy doesn't feel right if I eat fat or things that are too sweet, so I prefer to eat my Protein then fruits and veggies. Plus of course, I'm only able to eat small portions and feel much less hunger than before.

Good luck with your research - you've come to the right place!