Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Epigastric discomfort when walking?

OK, I'm 2.5 weeks out and this has been bothering me the entire time, but it's starting to concern me now as I'm otherwise pain-free and feeling fine. Every time I go for a walk, after about 3-4 blocks I start to have epigastric discomfort. Can't really explain it, but it's discomfort, not pain - like my stomach is filled with rocks or something, some sort of pulling sensation. I just walked 9 blocks and the second half of the walk was quite difficult for me, as there was no bench or anything I could sit down on. I got home, and as always, it was gone in a few minutes.

At first, I thought it was just from things shaking up while walking, but I don't seem to have this problem when I swim, so I'm no longer sure. Anyone else?:confused1:

Update: just went to this concert and by the time I walked one block, I was feeling weak and my stomach was extremely uncomfortable. I toughed it out and got on the train, but once I got to my destination, I began to feel nauseous and light-headed, and my stomach was bothering me A LOT. I bailed on the $100 concert and headed home. Currently waiting for my boyfriend to pick me up and take me to the emergency room. I hope to god it's just really bad reflux or spasms. I feel slightly better now that I'm sitting down, but there's definitely something going on with me.

So we went to the emergency, which was filled with drunks and homeless people, so it took me 5 hours to see the doctor (at 2 am) even though I was triaged level 2. I didn't eat or drink because I was paranoid that I had a leak and was gonna be operated on, so I was fasting for like 8 hours straight and NOT feeling good because of that.

The doctor palpated my abdomen and said he didn't think it was a leak, but rather major reflux, but he wanted to run bloodwork for pancreatitis, just in case. We waited for an hour (til 3 am) for the tech to come by, and when she still hadn't, I asked the nurses what was up and they said they hadn't even received the orders yet, and once the tech took the blood, it'd be at least 1.5 hours before the lab returned the results. So I did the math and figured we were gonna be stuck there til at least 6 am. We were both exhausted and couldn't sleep because there were drunks yelling and trying to get into fights with the security, and there was someone shitting themselves next to our pod, so it reeked of diarrhea, which, of course, made me more nauseous and sick. So we packed up and left - I told them I'd just wait til Monday to see my family doc and get the bloodwork done, but they freaking wouldn't let me know what kind of bloodwork they wanted to do. I'm feeling better now, though still not 100%, so I'll see how things are on Monday. I was just praying I didn't have a leak while I was lying there, because if I did have one, the 5-hr wait could've been critical. So frustrating! I'm doubling my Nexium now hoping it's just major reflux or something. URGGGGH. This was my first and LAST (unless I'm unconscious and bleeding in the future) trip to the emergency as a patient.

so how's the pain now?? are you ok?? Good luck to you!

We went on a short walk and while I wasn't feeling 100% and was ready to get back in the car after 20 mins, I didn't feel nausea or epigastric discomfort the way I did yesterday. I hope that with the twice-a-day Nexium, that will go away. I'm just glad I didn't have an actual leak, because I would've probably ended up with peritonitis and sepsis after waiting for 5 hours to see the doctor yesterday.:thumbup: Next time I'll just pretend to be drunk and make lots of racist and sexist comments to the staff, that seems to get you in within an hour.:thumbup:

Another thing you may want them to look at on Monday is your gallbladder stones are a common thing after this surgery. I am glad you are feeling better and that it wasn't a leak.

Nancy

Another thing you may want them to look at on Monday is your gallbladder stones are a common thing after this surgery. I am glad you are feeling better and that it wasn't a leak.

Nancy

I don't think it's gallstones, as the pain is very much in the epigastric area.

Well, I don't know if this helps or not, but Dr Aceves has a pretty cool technique very much like a french seam. He over stitches the staples by pulling stomach tissue on both sides of the sutures and stitches them down. I really think that is why he has neve had a leak. Too bad the hospital didn't just do a fluoroscope on you. When I had those fevers and drove back to Mexicali, the first thing Dr. Campos did was a fluoroscope. The second thing was the chest XRay. I was in and out of Almater and back across the border in two hours and that included waiting for my husb to go buy the prescriptions. I'll tell you, they could teach our hospitals a few tricks.

I am thinking maybe some of your full liquids might have been a little heavy and upset your sleeve. I really hope it isn't a leak, but I am betting it isn't. You also gotta remember gravity. Things are pulling downward inside when you walk..things that float when you swim, if you get my drift. I think maybe some of the scar tissue might be irritating you. But nonetheless, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Why don't you call Aceves' office in the morning? They will get a message to him and he or Campos will return the call promptly.

gg