Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Hunger

:)

I am planning on getting banded end of July. I am meeting with the surgeon tomorrow to confirm if this is something I want/need to do.

I know it is a life changing decision but i am SO SCARED of failing.

How can I screw this up? I thought it was foolproof?

I have an addiction to food in a way I never thought possible. It is actually starting to freak me out :eek:

I can't sleep wondering how I am going to handle not gorging myself and drinking diet coke. Weird but true.

I think I have let this addiction get the best of me.

Have any of you "freaked out" knowing that you can never enjoy the portion sizes - drinks that you once loved?

kmhasson@rogers.com

Please help.

I am having a tough time with the head hunger issues.

Kim it is a tough battle but if you don't try you won't know. I am battling with the night time head hunger/demon but with the band on my side I'm not doing as bad as I normally would and Im learning to take one day at a time.

Hang in there !!!

Oh you'll still be able to gorge yourself, but it will only take a little over a cup of food before your "gorge fest" becomes a "pain fest"! Of course that comes when you start getting fills and get good restriction.

I used to eat so much it frightened and appalled me. Now? My 2 year old grandson can out-eat me. And I don't miss eating enough for three people at all. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to adjust to that.

I am just 3 1/2 weeks out from banding and obviously don't have a fill yet. I am dealing with head hunger in the evenings and often eat more with dinner than Breakfast and lunch combined. Still, I eat FAR less than I used to and feel remarkably satisfied. I am losing weight slowly but surely, which helps also.

It freaked me out to finally recognize my addiction to food. I know where you are coming from. Please give yourself this chance-- this TOOL-- to help you win the battle.

Good luck!

I think we all have those fears, pre-op. It's normal to worry about being able to comply with the "rules" or being able to live with the changes necessary for success. I know I did.

Although I now know that I am addicted to food, I was in complete denial until the last 6 months or so. Yes, that's AFTER I was banded. You're one step ahead of the game by admitting it now. Remember, addictions are not cured only treated.

After your banded, if you so choose to go through with it, you will find yourself feeling satisfied with a significantly smaller amount of food. It may be hard to believe now, but it's true. You don't have that deep hunger that makes you want to eat and eat and eat. The worst may be the head hunger you spoke of, but if you listen to your band you simply will not be able to eat those large portions any more. If you don't, you will experience pain and you will probably see that food again.

I can't help you with the diet cola. I wasn't much of a soda drinker pre-band. I had stopped drinking caffeinated beverages in 1993 at my doctor's recommendation, therefore I just didn't drink a lot of soda. It wasn't so hard to give up and I really don't miss it.

Also, remember you may go through a mourning phase. Many actually mourn the loss of food as their consolation, their "friend", the thing that helps them cope and comforts them in times of stress or other emotional need. My recommendation, if you do have the surgery, find something else that gives you satisfaction.....a passion if you will. Whether it's drawing, reading, exercising, the list could go on. Something to focus your attention on besides food.

Good Luck,

No one has come out and said- but it sounds like the pain if you take one too many bites is a good treatment for helping the head hunger calm?!

Any one have any insights- I recognize pre band I have to deal with this demon forever. It scares me ALOT that once Im banded quantity is no longer an option, I guess I have to focus on enjoying the taste and feel of the few bites I get?

HELP!

I"m battling the night time head hunger thing, too...habits are powerful things. But NJ Chick is right...even if I give in, the band makes me stop way before I would have before banding...and that's a good thing. Just a couple of times in the last 8 months have I missed not being able to sit down to a big plate of spaghetti or something...but it's only for a couple of minutes and then I remember how great it is to have to put another outfit in the "too big" pile, and I'm thankful again for my band.

I also agree that many of us go through a phase of mourning for our "friend", but knowing that's normal helps.

Good luck on your journey!

Emily