Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm pre-op and the negative comments worry me!

Stacey160

This is the first time I have joined a website and used a 'forum' so hope I am responding in the right place!

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to send me your thoughts and answering me about my many concerns! I absolutely appreciate hearing from everyone but I have to say you seem to understand exactly how I am feeling and were able to address everything I am anxious about.

I just know that I am so tired of gaining, losing, gaining more, losing less over and over. I work in the airline industry and I find myself looking around every airport I'm in to see if there is someone there I know so I can avoid them at all costs. I am so embarrassed that they will see that I put back on all the weight I lost three years ago plus a little more. I'm short and do not carry my excess weight at all well.

Thank you again - I think I know that, deep down, I have already made the decision. I'm going for it and can't wait to fix back into my old clothes and feel good about how I look! I can stop thinking about my weight every single day of my life....I can stop hating myself for eating til I'm stuffed over and over again....I can stop feeling like a failure.... Most of all, I hope I can start to enjoy life without so much of my time being spent focusing on my weight.:cursing:

Looks like I am going to be the lone dissenter and disagree. I think this is a pretty major surgery to have in order to lose 60 pounds. I really think it is. Maybe that comes from almost dying after the surgery (and I was in great health and no comorbities prior to surgery). We really do not know the long long term effects of this surgery. Talking to someone 3-4 years out is hardly long term. This weekend I saw a patient who had a gastrectomy due to ulcers 20 year ago. She is now 68 and has severe osteoporosis and broke a hip from a minor fall. She also has dentures at a young age due to deficiencies, she lost most of her teeth. Made me think a little longer about what I have done to myself. I will not say I regret the surgery, though for a long time I did, I suppose 3 months of not eating any food whatsoever (all nutrition through a feeding tube) will do that to you. I am very pleased with the success of my surgery at this point. But I personally do not think that this is a good option for people with less than 100 pounds to lose. I also think it will make a big difference that your husband is completely supportive before going through this potentially dangerous process. I wish you all the best in your journey.

Stacy160,

I am due in for my op in approx 12 hours, and I've been researching and reading these forums for over four months. I can safely say yours is the most inspiring and reassuring post I have seen yet.

Thank you for making me sleep a little easier tonight :)

Looks like I am going to be the lone dissenter and disagree. I think this is a pretty major surgery to have in order to lose 60 pounds. I really think it is. Maybe that comes from almost dying after the surgery (and I was in great health and no comorbities prior to surgery). We really do not know the long long term effects of this surgery. Talking to someone 3-4 years out is hardly long term. This weekend I saw a patient who had a gastrectomy due to ulcers 20 year ago. She is now 68 and has severe osteoporosis and broke a hip from a minor fall. She also has dentures at a young age due to deficiencies, she lost most of her teeth. Made me think a little longer about what I have done to myself. I will not say I regret the surgery, though for a long time I did, I suppose 3 months of not eating any food whatsoever (all nutrition through a feeding tube) will do that to you. I am very pleased with the success of my surgery at this point. But I personally do not think that this is a good option for people with less than 100 pounds to lose. I also think it will make a big difference that your husband is completely supportive before going through this potentially dangerous process. I wish you all the best in your journey.

I can totally understand why with your experience you would warn anyone that was having the surgery to really weigh the pros and cons along with the complications.

Having said that 60 pounds is still a lot of weight for a person to lose on their own and to be able to keep off. It is no more difficult for someone who is 100+ pounds to keep their weight off as it is for someone who is 60 pounds overweight. This really isn't about the losing of the weight as it is the maintaining of it coming off. I would venture to say to those who have lost 100+ pounds that though they may have been happy when they hit the mark of only 60 more pounds to go they were certainly not done losing weight and did not really want to hang onto that 60 pounds either.

I don't think it is about the number so much as quality of life, mobility and energy to enjoy it.

Here Oprah pulls 67 pounds of fat in her wagon...ya thats a lot to be carrying on a 5'3 frame like mine.

post-2320-1381365590019_thumb.jpg

Stacey160

I can stop thinking about my weight every single day of my life....I can stop hating myself for eating til I'm stuffed over and over again....I can stop feeling like a failure.... Most of all, I hope I can start to enjoy life without so much of my time being spent focusing on my weight.:)

Exactly, that (plus getting healthy) is what it's all about!

Stacy160,

I am due in for my op in approx 12 hours, and I've been researching and reading these forums for over four months. I can safely say yours is the most inspiring and reassuring post I have seen yet.

Thank you for making me sleep a little easier tonight :drool5:

You're welcome! Good luck tomorrow, and remember that even if you feel crappy for the first few days, it'll pass and before you know it, you'll be feeling great. Post an update when you can! :)

I'm one of those "60 lbs to lose" folks - although 60 lbs is my very conservative goal, just to hit a normal BMI. Realistically, one day I'd like to end at about 70-75 lbs off, which would be in the 130s for me (I'm 5'5" with a large frame).

I think my issue was that I just felt completely powerless with food. I had lost 50 lbs the year before my surgery. It took me an entire year of obsessing, and then I put it back on in under 4 months. Unfortunately, I'm in a relationship with someone who has the metabolism of a chickadee - I've tallied up his daily calories and it's usually about 5000, and he's slim and only works out once a week. His eating habits were really rubbing off on me, and as someone who has issues with controlling her food intake, it was a terrible influence. I'd NEVER have an appetizer AND an entree AND a drink AND dessert when going out before, but he eats all that, and then I couldn't resist and would partake in it - except for he wouldn't put on an ounce and I'd pack on a couple of pounds a week.

I basically looked back on my history of lifelong yo-yoing since I was a preteen - and gradually ending up at a higher and higher weight every time! - and realized my future was somewhere in the 300-lbs range. Genetics don't help, either, everyone in my family is overweight or obese. My mother really wanted me to postpone the surgery until I was done school and it was gonna be less of a financial burden (she probably also hoped I'd change my mind by then!), but I KNEW I'd gain a lot more weight by then. I'm starting my clinical years next fall and I knew that the extreme workload (80+ hours a week, every week), high-stress work, and junk food everywhere would result in my putting on a good 50 lbs, as I'm a total stress eater. Then add to it the lack of time to exercise, and there you go. It was a now or never thing for me!

To sum it up....I had to lose 70 lbs AT THE TIME of surgery. If I waited a couple of years, I'm sure I would've ended up having to lose 100+ lbs, anyway, so why wait?

Regarding the safety...my greatgrandmother had a 90% gastrectomy due to stomach cancer about 20 years ago, and she's doing alright. Yeah, she has osteoporosis and once fractured her arm after falling on the bus, but 1) she's in her 90s 2) *I* have fractured my arm after stumbling and falling and I'm in good health, so I'm not really concerned. I'm a lot more concerned about the bone damage I've amassed during my formative years because of fucking starvation diets.:)

Also, to add to some of the positive effects of this surgery. I know people talk a lot about post-surgery depression, but I've been very lucky so far *knock on wood* in that I feel a lot better mentally. I used to have these huge mood swings, largely fueled by self-hate - I'd always become very angry and depressed as soon as I binged and/or began regaining weight. I'd be so angry at myself for not being able to control myself around food, and then it made me miserable for days on end. I've even wondered if I was bipolar! Now I feel a lot more "even." Things don't seem to irritate me as much and I feel a lot more relaxed, which makes functioning during stressful times a lot easier.

Re: food, I went on a road trip with my boyfriend this long weekend, and one day I had 2 butter Cookies, and then the next day we bought a bag of mango licorice (which I'm OBSESSED with). I only had 3 pieces; 3 more the next day. I left it in the car so I'm less tempted to mindlessly eat it now that I'm home, but this is a HUGE difference from how I'd react before. I'd scarf down an entire box of Cookies, feeling out of control at the time, and then guilty after. Same with the licorice. Now I feel like I can actually enjoy these things like a normal person - take a few pieces and just CHILL. As I alluded above, I'm not going to test myself by actually having any of this stuff in the house, but I definitely feel like I'm in control of my choices when I'm eating out or buying Snacks.

I'm one of those "60 lbs to lose" folks - although 60 lbs is my very conservative goal, just to hit a normal BMI. Realistically, one day I'd like to end at about 70-75 lbs off, which would be in the 130s for me (I'm 5'5" with a large frame).

I think my issue was that I just felt completely powerless with food. I had lost 50 lbs the year before my surgery. It took me an entire year of obsessing, and then I put it back on in under 4 months. Unfortunately, I'm in a relationship with someone who has the metabolism of a chickadee - I've tallied up his daily calories and it's usually about 5000, and he's slim and only works out once a week. His eating habits were really rubbing off on me, and as someone who has issues with controlling her food intake, it was a terrible influence. I'd NEVER have an appetizer AND an entree AND a drink AND dessert when going out before, but he eats all that, and then I couldn't resist and would partake in it - except for he wouldn't put on an ounce and I'd pack on a couple of pounds a week.

I basically looked back on my history of lifelong yo-yoing since I was a preteen - and gradually ending up at a higher and higher weight every time! - and realized my future was somewhere in the 300-lbs range. Genetics don't help, either, everyone in my family is overweight or obese. My mother really wanted me to postpone the surgery until I was done school and it was gonna be less of a financial burden (she probably also hoped I'd change my mind by then!), but I KNEW I'd gain a lot more weight by then. I'm starting my clinical years next fall and I knew that the extreme workload (80+ hours a week, every week), high-stress work, and junk food everywhere would result in my putting on a good 50 lbs, as I'm a total stress eater. Then add to it the lack of time to exercise, and there you go. It was a now or never thing for me!

To sum it up....I had to lose 70 lbs AT THE TIME of surgery. If I waited a couple of years, I'm sure I would've ended up having to lose 100+ lbs, anyway, so why wait?

Regarding the safety...my greatgrandmother had a 90% gastrectomy due to stomach cancer about 20 years ago, and she's doing alright. Yeah, she has osteoporosis and once fractured her arm after falling on the bus, but 1) she's in her 90s 2) *I* have fractured my arm after stumbling and falling and I'm in good health, so I'm not really concerned. I'm a lot more concerned about the bone damage I've amassed during my formative years because of fucking starvation diets.:)

I think that is fantastic that you would take the courage to do what you know is in your best interest. I only wish I had done the same years ago when I was on my way up to 330 Lbs. Then again, when I was gaining all the weight I'd lost with the band... However here I am right where I started because I couldn't keep the weight off!

Another thing I'd like to add Re: bones... We cannot forget the damage we are simply putting on our frames! For every extra 5 Lbs of weight, is like 15 lbs on our knees. We are not doing ourselves any service being any amount over weight.

Besides, what is the story with this woman who has bone issues and teeth falling out? Could she have been more proactive with her supplements knowing she could only eat so much? Could she have a family history of degenerative bone issues? I mean, we can't just auto-blame the small stomach here.

I can totally understand why with your experience you would warn anyone that was having the surgery to really weigh the pros and cons along with the complications.

Having said that 60 pounds is still a lot of weight for a person to lose on their own and to be able to keep off. It is no more difficult for someone who is 100+ pounds to keep their weight off as it is for someone who is 60 pounds overweight. This really isn't about the losing of the weight as it is the maintaining of it coming off. I would venture to say to those who have lost 100+ pounds that though they may have been happy when they hit the mark of only 60 more pounds to go they were certainly not done losing weight and did not really want to hang onto that 60 pounds either.

I don't think it is about the number so much as quality of life, mobility and energy to enjoy it.

Here Oprah pulls 67 pounds of fat in her wagon...ya thats a lot to be carrying on a 5'3 frame like mine.

Great photo!! And the bonus question here is - Did Oprah keep that weight off? Um, no. She gained it all back and some... I know she's "against WLS" however, it would be a fine day for her to admit she needs more help than spending her $$$Mill$$$ on cooks, personal trainers, etc...

The cycle has to stop somewhere! And in my world the cycle stops with me.

Besides, what is the story with this woman who has bone issues and teeth falling out? Could she have been more proactive with her supplements knowing she could only eat so much? Could she have a family history of degenerative bone issues? I mean, we can't just auto-blame the small stomach here.

I'm suspicious of this, as well. I remember we covered bone disease in class last year and I feel that it was the small intestine, not the stomach, that played a role in bone-building as far as the GI tract is concerned. We are covering the stomach now, and I have yet to see anything to do with calcium/vit D absorption. I will review that topic and post my findings later today.

I would think it is fair to say that long term with the vsg, we should continue to eat properly and test blood (vitamin, Calcium, etc) levels at least annually as a precaution to keep ourselves on track. The risk is not near what a malabsorbtion WLS would be. We see some bone loss issues with other WLS, extreme diets, eating disorders, and even poor eating habits. Long term we are only guaranteed to have less stomach tissue than we did pre-op. We still have to eat proper nutrition and supplement where we are lacking in our foods.

Stacey160

This is the first time I have joined a website and used a 'forum' so hope I am responding in the right place!

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to send me your thoughts and answering me about my many concerns! I absolutely appreciate hearing from everyone but I have to say you seem to understand exactly how I am feeling and were able to address everything I am anxious about.

I just know that I am so tired of gaining, losing, gaining more, losing less over and over. I work in the airline industry and I find myself looking around every airport I'm in to see if there is someone there I know so I can avoid them at all costs. I am so embarrassed that they will see that I put back on all the weight I lost three years ago plus a little more. I'm short and do not carry my excess weight at all well.

Thank you again - I think I know that, deep down, I have already made the decision. I'm going for it and can't wait to fix back into my old clothes and feel good about how I look! I can stop thinking about my weight every single day of my life....I can stop hating myself for eating til I'm stuffed over and over again....I can stop feeling like a failure.... Most of all, I hope I can start to enjoy life without so much of my time being spent focusing on my weight.:)

I just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU! :)

You should be very proud of yourself. You've done your research and decided to take control and increase your chances of a healthy, long life. It's a hard personal decision. As a lightweight myself, I understand the only "60 pound" thought ... but I know that in a year, it would have been 75, then 80, then 100+. I had to take control while I was still heathy enough and little bone/joint damage not to mention heart and diabetes issues.

I am so sorry to hear that you had a ruff time. How long ago was your surgery?

I am curious who was your doctor if you dont mind me asking? Do you know why you had such a hard time?

My BMI is 41 also and I was thinking about the plication or the sleeve. Do you have any sugestions for me?

Lisa

For me the main reason of having this surgery was to not be able to eat as much as I used to, physically. I'm not hungry all the time, but sometimes I do have headhunger, so my main reason wasn't to beat the hunger because I knew a lot of my hunger was emotional Pycholgical or however you want to call it. I am soo happy I did this, I have lost around 23 pounds and still have another 40 to get to my target weight. Of it is an operation, with all it's risks. If I haven't had this op I know i would get bigger and bigger, with the comorbities that being obese brings, so probably osteoporosis would be the least of my worries (if i even lived that long). I'm quite sure that the diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc etc would come before the osteoporosis!