Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard yes and no on this one. Is it okay for someone to take NSAIDS after VSG? I'm talking of course AFTER you are healed up, not immediately after surgery.

Thanks!

This is one of those topics that some docs say "yes" others say "no". My surgeon, and others say that because we have fully functioning stomach (not a pouch like with RNY and the Band), NSAIDS are perfectly fine to take. There are no medication restrictions. If you check out the information in the Dr. Jossart(he's one of the pioneers of the VSG) section here on the forum, it specifically states that NSAIDS are fine for us to take.

I take Aleve on a regular basis, and have taken 800mg Motrin tablets without issue. I always take it with something in my stomach just like I did when I had my entire stomach. I prefer NSAIDS over any other pain reliever.

I've known people to get denials for VSG overturned because they have to take NSAIDS of some sort because of all the documentation that supports there are no medication restrictions.

So, I guess it boils down to what your specific surgeon allows.

My surgeon was extrememly reluctant to perform a bypass on me because of the problem with nsaids and steroids for folks who have that procedure. I have a medical condition that requires my use of these medications from time to time. The whole point of me having the sleeve, according to my surgeon, was to make it possible for me to take such meds.

I've heard yes and no on this one. Is it okay for someone to take NSAIDS after VSG? I'm talking of course AFTER you are healed up, not immediately after surgery.

Thanks!

During my pre-op appointment, my surgeon said that since the stomach is fully functional, albeit a smaller one, there is still a chance for ulcers to develop from NSAIDS. They just aren't completely contraindicated like they are for the RNY. He said that if an ulcer developed, the person would need to take a med like Carafate.

When I went to Dr. Cirangle's seminar I asked this specific question. He said that yes, taking NSAIDS is perfectly fine after one month of surgery for the Sleeve...however for the smaller pouch surgery's such as the RNY - he said absolutely not and never again.

I would trust anything Dr. C gave out as advice, as he and Dr. Jossart are both pioneers to this surgery and his patients do exceptionally well.

:)

Yes, it is okay to take NSAIDS, but there is always the risk of a gastric ulcers, just like in people who haven't had surgery. There is always that risk with NSAIDS for everyone.