Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pregnancy and the band

has anyone been pregnant while banded?

how long should you wait after you are banded before you try that?

and do you have to get completely unfilled?

will the baby be malnourished?

can you have natural child birth after banded?

I believe the most common advice is to wait at least a year after you're banded to get pregnant. As far as I know, there's no impact on your ability to have natural childbirth. And the doctor will adjust your fill (even if it means taking all of it out) to make sure both you and the baby are getting enough nourishment.

I'm curious though, what happens to women who have restriction without a fill. I wonder if they have to get the band removed?

that is a good question because i have read here that there are some people that have experienced restriction with just the band alone. (that doesn't seem to be the story for alot of people, but some)

I'm worried how morning sickness might affect band slippage. I asked my surgeon about this at length before my surgery, but no studies have been conducted on this and I got the feeling you just have to cross your fingers and hope that vomiting regularly for several months won't cause slippage.

Well--I'll give you my first account experience of this...so far.

I was banded on April 18, 2006--have been doing VERY well--had lost 25lbs. A week ago, I discovered I was pregnant (fourth child). You have no idea the shock and frustration and yet at the same time, the joy.

I've been nauseated a lot lately--but I haven't vomitted. I never received a fill, so I won't until 6 weeks after the baby's born. I have slight restriction but am able to eat a fair amount of food. My doctor said he'd be pleased if I eat about 1800 calories (of healthy foods)/day. He said that the baby would be fine--even if I lose weight in pregnancy because I'm overweight--he said that the baby would get what he/she needed first and then I would get the rest (calories/nutrition,etc.).

So--another adventure--another chapter in my book of life....I just PRAY for no or minimal weight gain. I've been exercising a lot, so I know this will help.

One thing I know--I don't want my tubes tied after this baby, I want them cut out, burned, and thrown into the dead sea. :P

Bless you all--

well, congrats on the baby and the band weight loss! does your obgyn know alot about the band to offer instruction or do you primarily see your surgeon and the nutritionalist? are you still on liquids?

Congrats Dana!!

Christa, when I went to my appointment the day before my surgery, my doctor said "One of the great things about this surgery is that if you were to get pregnant tomorrow, it would not be a problem." I suppose it could get a little sticky if someone were well restricted by the band alone, but probably they could do okay if they had protien shakes along with whatever they could eat.

If you aren't restricted by just the band, and you are completely unfilled, I would imagine that morning sickness wouldn't be too horrible. But probably the risk of slippage is increased. I haven't heard anything about natural childbirth being a problem. Maybe we should ask Alex to create a pregnant bandsters section on this forum? There is a pregnancy section on obesity help, but I don't know how many people in that section would be bandsters to ask these questions. I hope to have children in the next few years with my fiance, so I'd be interested in 'experienced' answers as well.

That's my bandster baby right up there.

She was 150% healthy, weighing in at 9lb 4 oz.

I had a normal vaginal delivery and was in labor for almost 3 days.

I did have to get my fill removed due to hyperemesis, and yes, I did gain a butt load of weight because I ate like a pig.

She is now 14 months old. No worrys.