Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

update and a few questions :)

Last time I posted a lot of bad stuff was going on with me health wise..here is the link to my last post to catch you up with what i'm talking about.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/post-operation-vertical-sleeve-gastric-surgery-vsg-questions-answers/7593-help-has-happened-anyone.html

Now the good news! This is day 4 of me really trying to get in Protein as well as Fluid since I have been feeling better. I have not thrown up during these 4 days. The only thing I do notice is first thing in the morning when I wake up I feel really sick. But once I drink/eat something, about 30 mins after I feel better. I've never had this before so I don't know if the sick feeling is my body telling me I need to eat or what.

I have been doing really well with the eating Protein part. I am now getting anywhere between 60-100g a day! I have 6-7 small high protein meals a day. I think my tummy is stretching a little bit (which the doctor said is good) because I can be comfortable after eating half of a turkey sandwich. For dinner I had a turkey burger patty and was able to finish all by two bites of it. But everything seems to be going well I am not dizzy/ light-headed like I was before and I am still loosing.

My Questions:

1. When do you think I will be able to have sushi? I AM DYING HERE! HAHA

2. They doctors told me to stop drinking 30 mins before my meals, not to drink during my meals, and to wait 30 mins after my meals before drinking. I have been doing this, but i find it annoying and hard to do at time. Is this something that I will always have to do? Or is it mostly in the first X amount of months that I have to do this?

3. Will I ever be able to have Sprite or 7up ever in the future. I am not much of a soda drinker at all, and I realize it does stretch your sleeve. I'm talking a soda every once in a while. The only time I had soda was when I would go out to resturaunts or something. Lately I have been craving sprite (it's wierd), but do any of you down the road (6+ months post op) have soda at all? Also wondering for New Years about the soda thing cause I usually mix alcohol with soda, by then i will be almost 7 months post op.

My surgery date was June 11th,2010, I am down 80 pounds.

Thanks everyone :)

Sorry, can't help as I haven't been sleeved yet, but I have a question for you - how come you are not allowed to have sushi? Is it because of the rice or the raw fish? I'm a huge sushi/sashimi fan and was planning to get a fair amount of my Protein from raw tuna and salmon the first few months. Hopefully it's the rice and not the fish!

Sorry, can't help as I haven't been sleeved yet, but I have a question for you - how come you are not allowed to have sushi? Is it because of the rice or the raw fish? I'm a huge sushi/sashimi fan and was planning to get a fair amount of my Protein from raw tuna and salmon the first few months. Hopefully it's the rice and not the fish!

I heard you can have it, I just know some people had issues like If they ate it too soon after surgery they could eat it but they wouldn't be able to keep it down. So I'm just asking when everyone who has has sushi since surgery, how long post op were they.

My doctor gave me the okay for rice and fish. I don't really eat the raw fish ones, I stick to California rolls :tongue_smilie:haha.

You're doing great ! ! !

1. When do you think I will be able to have sushi? I AM DYING HERE! HAHA - We already talked about this one LOL. See how your body tolerates it, go slow, and I hear the sashimi works great. The rice might be uncomfy just eat slow, and see how your body reacts. First signal of discomfort, stop.

2. They doctors told me to stop drinking 30 mins before my meals, not to drink during my meals, and to wait 30 mins after my meals before drinking. I have been doing this, but i find it annoying and hard to do at time. Is this something that I will always have to do? Or is it mostly in the first X amount of months that I have to do this? I have never had to stop drinking before my meals. With my band, I had to because liquid fills up your pouch, but we have stomachs so I was instructed to just not drink with my meals and to wait 30 minutes after my meal. 90% digestion occurs in the intestine. Drinking while eating will push the food through, and you may experience some hunger sooner if you flush the food through. I sip with a meal on occasion. I can fit more in. I still DO NOT experience hunger, but if I drink when I eat, I can fit more food in at this point. Early out, there really isn't room for liquids. It might be uncomfortable to drink. A couple of sips to wet my whistle after spicy/salty food never hurt. I took a big drink on accident once, and it hurt and caused some cramping. Lesson learned, sips are okay, big drinks not so much.

3. Will I ever be able to have Sprite or 7up ever in the future. I am not much of a soda drinker at all, and I realize it does stretch your sleeve. I'm talking a soda every once in a while. The only time I had soda was when I would go out to resturaunts or something. Lately I have been craving sprite (it's wierd), but do any of you down the road (6+ months post op) have soda at all? Also wondering for New Years about the soda thing cause I usually mix alcohol with soda, by then i will be almost 7 months post op. - I drink soda. I've drank soda on occasion since being at goal. They're empty calories, it hasn't caused my sleeve to stretch at all, and I enjoy a soda here and there. My surgeon doesn't believe it'll stretch the sleeve anymore than eating bread, Pasta and rice will stretch it. I can eat the same amount of food right now that I could at 7-8 months post-op. There hasn't been any change or negativity from me drinking soda. I'm not an advocate to go against doctor's orders so check with them. For my program, nothing is off limits for life. Moderation is the key. I drink rum/cokes regularly without issue. Well regularly, on the rare occasion that I go out drinking, that is my preference. I drink socially without any ill effects. My suggestion on drinking post sleeve is to drink at home first. It might hit you hard and fast the first time. At this stage for me, my alcohol tolerance is back to pre-op.

Edited by Tiffykins
to add DO NOT EXPERIENCE HUNGER

Soda makes me really unhappy - I burp and don't enjoy the feeling of pressure at all. It's been ok if I let it get flat. But I don't really miss it.

I think sushi would be fine when you're ready for solid Proteins. Just go slow. The rice in a roll might bother you but you'll figure that out pretty quckly.

Eating and drinking at the same time really hurts. I'd gotten out of the habit in the time after my band was removed before I was sleeved. I can drink right up until I eat but I really have to wait for the food to be gone before I drink - otherwise the pressure is really unpleasant. Honestly, you'll get used to it.

Soda makes me really unhappy - I burp and don't enjoy the feeling of pressure at all. It's been ok if I let it get flat. But I don't really miss it.

I think sushi would be fine when you're ready for solid Proteins. Just go slow. The rice in a roll might bother you but you'll figure that out pretty quckly.

Eating and drinking at the same time really hurts. I'd gotten out of the habit in the time after my band was removed before I was sleeved. I can drink right up until I eat but I really have to wait for the food to be gone before I drink - otherwise the pressure is really unpleasant. Honestly, you'll get used to it.

a lot of people have been telling me that their doctors tell them they can drink upto the point till they eat, and then just wait 30 mins.

the nutristionist lady when she called me to make my appointment with her, she told me to stop drinking 30 mins before my meals, not to drink during meals, and then to wait 30 mins after my meals before i drink.

I am def. going to ask at my appointment on thursday if I can drink up until the time i eat because each time thats 30mins of drinking i could really use to get more fluids in.

I tried sushi last night, had 1 roll and i had to stop cause it just felt wierd. i know im having to get used to eating again since i was in the hospital all last month and couldnt eat. i will be trying sushi again NEXT month and will see how that goes. I will not be having soda until I am 6+ months post so i will see then how soda will affect me. :)