Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I am 12 days out and something I have noticed since shortly after the surgery is that my heart is always beating really quickly, even at rest. I've always has a slow steady measured beat and now it's like a mouse's. If I do something remotely taxing, like lift a not-at-all-heavy bag into the car, my heartbeat takes off like I'm running a race. It's kinda freaking me out. Comments?

How fast is racing and do you have other symptoms.

Both PE (pulmonary embolism) and leaks can cause rapid heartbeat, but there are plenty of other symptoms.

I'm 19 days post surgery, and I actually called my nurse yesterday for a similar sympton. My pulse was 105, when it's always been betwen 75-80. Besides the fast hearbeat, I had tingling sensations in my left arm. My nurse called back and said it sounds like anxiety. Based on the quesitons she asked she concluded it's not leakage, symptoms of a heart attack, blood pressure problems, thyroid problems or any other physical complication (thank God!). She believes it's anxiety related to depression, which may come from a rise in hormones which occurs normally after surgery. She recommended a lot of rest, liquids, and to make sure I'm taking my Vitamins. She also recommended I go to my family physician and get my heart checked out. After our conversation I was much at ease to have eliminated physical complications. I did some meditation with my sister, had a long conversation with my mother about my fears and concerns, prayed, went to bed early, and had a great night! Today I feel much better and I'm working on my emotional stage. I haven't felt my heart speeed up at all today, so I think my nurse was right. For someone not used to depression or anxiety, and with no previous medical conditions, this is new and scary. I don't know how you've been doing emotionally, but if you're experiencing depression and/or anxiety, that may be the cause. I would still get your dr's or nurse's opinion. Hope you feel better.

Get it checked please but its probably not anything bad, I had all sorts of strange feelings and experiences in the early days. Still do get checked.

Jane x

I saw my PA today and told her I was still taking potassium at the doctor's request. She asked me how much and I couldn't tell her so I asked her what I should watch for if I'm getting too much potassium. She mentioned the rapid heartbeat, tingling, etc. I'd insist on some labwork at the very least to make sure it isn't something more serious or at the least, something that could be remedied fairly easily. Good luck...