Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

crazy surgeon/program advice

OK, I've been thinking about how post-op diets and restrictions vary so widely. Here are a couple of my programs more unusual features:

1. Immediately after surgery, don't lift more than 75lbs. (Huh? You think I can lift 75lbs now?)

2. No Soup again, ever. (Really, no Soup? EVER? I can limit my soup intake because it is a slurry food, but none EVER? I can't/won't do that.)

3. Protein is not important during the first 2 weeks post op.

Anyone else have something fun and unusual to share?

1 My doc said 10 pounds (OK I am barely 2 weeks out and picked up a 25 pound bag of cat litter yesterday hoisted it into my cart and into the trunk but I'll let hubby carry it into the house)

2 Soups are not out of the question for me but you have to keep in mind that they are liquid so they will not really stay with you. My nut had a great suggestion for things like stews and other hearty soups-

* tip your spoon and drain off the liquid so you are getting the good Protein and veggies and not wasting space with a broth

I don't think cream Soups would be a problem because they are going to fill you up but many cream soups have more fat and calories

3 I didn't worry about Protein until 10 days post op. I was only on clears. You really want the staple line to heal and not be stretched or to create a leak. All I was responsible for was getting in my 64 oz of Water. This isn't as uncommon as you think. The first 10 days I wasn't hungry and nothing really sounded good. I didn't do broth til the 9th day and it wasn't that good.

Yes it was hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of doing nothing but Water one day and getting 60 grams of protein the next but I was ready and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

My program is no lifting 10-15lbs for the first 4-6 weeks.

Hydration is the most important thing the first 2 weeks and my surgeon wasn't worried about my Protein intake during that time either. All the drinks, shakes, mixes made me hurl, have massive blow out diarrhea, or I couldn't stand the taste, texture, smell. He told me to focus on staying hydrated, and that Protein could come in the full to mushy stage which was week 3 and 4 and beyond. If I was puking, or having massive diarrhea, it defeated the purpose of trying to get in protein.

Soups were and still are favorite of mine. I eat Soup weekly, and lived on Soups for several weeks post-op. Luckily, my program is about moderation, not deprivation, and no food, or drinks are completely off limits for life.

OK, I've been thinking about how post-op diets and restrictions vary so widely. Here are a couple of my programs more unusual features:

1. Immediately after surgery, don't lift more than 75lbs. (Huh? You think I can lift 75lbs now?)

2. No Soup again, ever. (Really, no soup? EVER? I can limit my soup intake because it is a slurry food, but none EVER? I can't/won't do that.)

3. Protein is not important during the first 2 weeks post op.

Anyone else have something fun and unusual to share?

Hi Lis Lu,

My input, if it's ok with Radgen!

1. I wouldn't anyway.

2. Total b*llocks.

3. Yes, more important to keep hydrated and walking.

Jane xx

QUOTE]

Lisa that was just funny!!! that is what I would have thought/said also. It is quite comical, hopefully it was a typeo and not the standard practice.....

the Soup thing is somewhat strange also as they can be great especially during the post op stage when you can eat soup and not ready for more solid food....

Edited by mila1013

Huh. I have no restrictions except liquids for 2 weeks post-op. After that I am to begin eating regular food.

In one of the handouts we were amused to read about approved activities for the day after surgery. They included light yardwork, painting a room, cleaning house. In other words, basically what I might have done before the surgery I should be able to do after!

It is amazing to read about how different each person's experience is. My doc said just use common sense. I have horses but will not handle the fractious one much for another week. That and I probably shouldn't pull big pallets of freight by myself at work for another week or so. Other than that, the world is my oyster, lol.

We aren't supposed to bend over or life more than 15 lbs for 2-3 weeks, and can't start strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. But I think this caution is why my doctor has a zero complication rate. I'm happy to go with his restrictions.

Doc said no fencing with real swords, no acrobatic acts that include ariel swings, no mix of bison-elk hamburger meat for the first 3 days, only yogurt drinks that don't have kiwi and not to lift my husband for 10 days if he weighs more than the combined weight of our dogs. Oh yeah, and 124.5 ounces of tea, preferably green, per day for 6 weeks. Fortunately I was able to stick to the plan. Well, except for the acrobatics. You just can't keep a good girl down!

Gotta love that doctor!

My nut said no chewing gum or breath mints. What??? I love my gum. It's gonna be hard to give that up. (LOL) Anyone out there still chewing gum? Holla.

Deb

They are afraid you are going to swallow the gum. I was chewing gum the day after surgery. My doc had a fit but I told him I hadn't swallowed gum since I was a small child. I chew gum every day. It helps with sweet cravings and I have to chew gum when I do cardio. As soon as I start my cardio, if I don't have gum in my mouth, I run to my bag and get it. It's like trying to work out and not drink Water, for me.

I chew gum with no side effects whatsoever. Even when I am spinning with my mouthpiece in whilst doing my ariel acrobatic act.

Sigh. I think all that negative crapoleum about the Jeruselum clinic has me not wanting to take anything seriously. Sorry. I'll do better.