Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pressure in throat

i got the lap ban on May 31, 2006. Yesterday and today I'm feeling so much pressure force up into my throat anytime I move from sitting to standing, etc. and also after sipping on liquids. I also am having a lot of burning sensation type of pain underneath and around my big incision. i'm a little bloated right there. the incision is slightly red. is this burning pain normal at this point? Does is digress over time and how much time? Help!!

I am not sure what you are experiencing. The pressure in your throat could be reflux. Make sure to stay on your liquids. If not better soon call your doctor just to make sure. Take care

I get this when I have a lot of spit or phlegm. The stuff floats on Water and tries to get out. Try drinking warmer water, or tea relatively quickly if this is what you think it may be. The warmth opens the stoma and the tea/water helps to dissipate the foam. It isn't a lot of fun to cough up, especially newly banded, ouch.

About the incision, call your doc if you think it is infected. It is going to hurt for awhile. Nasty twinges and burning. Redness, oozing, or swelling around the edges of the incision are worth a call to the surgeon.

I dont know about the throat pressure - although after surgery I got weird feelings like I had a foreign object stuck in my throat.

But the burning at the port, yep that lasted a few weeks. Especially if I moved a certain way I got a twinge from it.

The first week after I had my surgery, I had a kind of full feeling in my throat. I do think that this might just be a gassy feeling, but I would say to ask your doctor if it continues. As for the incision, mine was kind of puffy and sore for the first three weeks and it still gets a little sore on occasion. Sometimes if I move wrong it almost seems to catch a little and draws me up short. I would talk to your doctor about the redness, just to be safe.

Good luck

Kelly

Hi. I had my surgery on May 30, 2006. I believe you may have acid reflux. I felt the same way as you. It didn't feel like pressure, but more like my airway wasn't fully cleared. Almost like something was stuck. I took the over the counter medicine Prilosec and was fine.

As for the belly, I definately share your pain. The incision area where the port is located is extremely bloated and the p ain was horrendous. I hadn't taken the pain relief medicine Vicodin since June 2, 2006. I became fearful. I was afraid that I might have an infection around the area. I know I shouldn't have, but, I took amoxicillin pills which I had left over from a previous cold and the vicodin for pain relief and I feel fine. I mean the pain still exist in my belly but I consider that the healing pain. I have an appt. with my bariatric doctor tomorrow. I can't wait. I want to know when I can eat pureed food. I'm tired of broth, sugar free Jello, Water, Protein Drink.

You will be fine. Just follow your doctor's advice. Think of how great you will soon feel to go with how great you will soon look!!!

thank you for your responses. i did end up going to the ER because I was quite dehydrated. they finally got the iv started in my foot because they couldn't find a vein because of the dehydration. while there, i learned that the pain was normal and so i've just being dealing with it. again thanks