Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you so much, Chrispy. I probably had more than 1000 calories today, but did take control of my eating by consuming food only at mealtimes and two snack times. Overall, I ate much less today than yesterday.

I don't get a fill until mid-September.

Lorna

hi folks

back from new hamp. and covered with poison ivy. yep i was clearining away at the camp. i still have not made an appt. for the sip test again.

but will soon. then michelle and i will put our heads together to figure what to do next.

hope every one is having a good summer

deb

Hello everyone,

I'm 6 days into my pre-op diet and so far so good. Today was the first day that I was really kind of hungry, but I forgot to bring lunch and could only have Soup. I'm tracking all of my food intake on fitday.com. So far I'm not doing any specific "diet", just trying to keep my daily calories to 2000 or less. So far I've lost 5lbs, but I have a long way to go considering I probably won't be able to have surgery until November. Work is just too busy and I don't even have the psych visit until 9/6. It's going to be difficult to be good until then, but I'm going to my darndest to lose as much weight as possible pre-surgery.

I will be at the ocean (Plymouth) this Labor Day Weekend with several good books. I hope everyone is doing well and has a great Holiday.

Margie :ranger:

Hello everyone, I have been looking into Lap Band at BIDMC and have a few questions. What is the best way to start? I have a physical appointment with my primary in October. Should I talk with her first? I have a PPO insurance and do not need a referal.

Does BIDMC require you to attend the information seminar before meeting with a doctor? Or should I just mail in the form and wait for a call? Also do they handle the insurance approvial or does my primary put in for that?

I guess I could just call them but I was wondering how much my primary needs to be involved and if I should talk with her first.

Also I noticed on the BIDMC site that one of the requirements for sugury was documented failed attempt to lose weight in a medical weight loss program? What would this be? I have seen a nutritionist in the past on suggestion by my primary. Would this count?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

One more question, I plan to attend their information meeting on September 13. How long of a process is it? Is hoping for a February 08 surgury date realistic?

Welcome Mich! I did not involve my primary at all really. I did have failed weight loss attempts because I had tried Meridia but also I wrote down (which was true) WW and Jenny Craig. I think your seeing a nutritionist will help.

I think February is reasonable. It all depends how many tests you need....sleep study, psych eval etc.

Double check your insurance, if yours is like mine where the doc has to be in network..... make sure the hospital is also, my son broke his thumb, I took him to a doc that was in network but the hospital was out of network and I had no idea.....it cost me $1200 out of pocket!!! My insurance would only cover lapband on an outpatient basis....BIDMC will only do in patient. I stayed overnight but had to be discharged in under 23 hours to get my insurance to pay. The hospital will send info to insurance etc.

I went to my first info session before making seeing the doctor.

Good Luck.....keep us posted!

Thanks, I have GIC Plus plan and BIDMC is in network but I was assuming the doctors were also, I will remember to check. So BIDMC worked with you to meet the outpatient requirement and discharged you in 23 hours? Good to know.

I did call my insurance and was told weight loss surgery is paid for on a case by case approval basis.

I printed out the info form (7 pages, wow!) and will start working on that.

Another question, I rarely drive into Boston (I'm in Worcester) the traffic makes me nervous. How difficult is the commute/ parking? I'm hoping my husband will drive in with me for the info meeting, for the meeting and also to make the drive easier.

Thanks again!

It is easy from rte 2 or the Mass Pike. Parking right in the building.....rush hour takes longer but I have not had a problem. They said the parking garages get full during a home Red Sox game even though its hospital parking only.

Cheers,

Maureen

Hello Mich,

I am in the process right now of getting lap band surgery at BIDMC. Here is my experience so far.

The first thing I did was fill out the application which I believe is available online at the BIDMC website. If not, they can send you one.

Next I had to attend 2 information sessions. You can check online to see when they are on the BIDMC website, or you can call them to get that information.

Once I attended the two information sessions I was given an appointment with the Nurse and Dr. H. I had to fast and have bloodwork done first, then an appt with the Nurse to go over the application. An EKG was done and then I met with Dr. H. These visits last about an hour each. Luckily for me, I did not need any add'l testing (sleep test, etc.)

After that I had a visit with the nutritionist. The nurse gave me a food tracker and I had to write down everything I ate for 4 days. The nutritioin visit was 2 hours...the first hour is with other people getting the lap band and then she meets with you individually to go over your food journal. Because there are other people there, she can't see us all at once, and she did not skimp on anyone's time.

The next thing they did was schedule me for the psych visit. I have mine on 9/6. Once I finish with that, they will all discuss my case and see if I am a good lap band candidate. Once they do that, I will get a call (hopefully!) for a date to see the surgeon....and then submit paperwork to my ins. co ( I have already verifiied I qualify under my plan, but you never know!) and a surgery date!

I started this process in July. I am hopeful to have the surgery in November.

* There is a $500 "deposit" due at the time you see the nurse & Dr. H. It's not covered by insurance and it's not refundable. Also, the psych lady does not take insurance and it's a $100 up front when you see her. She'll give you a receipt so you can submit it to your insurance but I'm not going to even bother.

So far, my experience at BIDMC has been fantastic. Everyone has been wonderful, extremely helpful, and patient :)

Good luck on ( your journey!

Margie

PS. Since seeing the nutritionist I have totally eliminated SODA and coffee. You can't have carbonation (beer included!) once you have the lap band so I figured give it up now. Also, I have started to not drink anything with my meals which is REALLY HARD but something I've got to do.

Whew haven't posted in a while here. Where is everyone lol. Where is the old BIDMC crew that met up in Braintree? Looks like we dropped the ball again.

i am still here

just been busy i guess

still have not done anything about the sliped band

and really don't want to think on it, i am getting some mushies thru me

some days are better than most

its been almost a year and i can keep on going for a bit longer

hope everyone is doing great

deb

Hi everyone, I was wondering where the group was, too. I am doing very well. After my second fill, still had problems with a lot of pb'ing, but it seems to be easing now. I haven't had too much to say, going into Boston to see June next week, lost 44 so far since March, so I am pleased but I wish it went faster. Talk to after seeing June. Nana

I got my surgery date! 10/31/07 w/Dr. Schneider. Everyone was so great.

I just hope my health insurance carrier approves it...they should, I meet ALL of the criteria!

I'm so excited...:clap2:

Margie

Man it is quiet in here.

I hope that means everyone is doing great!?!

Is anyone up for another get together in the coming month??? I would love to do that again. I can never go to the BIDMC meetings due to work conflicts, so I would love to get together with some "real" people.