Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

welcome laphappy!

first, no preop pix are taken, although i would take some of your own for reference. i did not and now regret it.

i went home by 3-4pm the next day, you can't leave until you are up and walking around and keeping liquids down alright. i was told i left pretty early. also, no ng tube thank god! no girdle wither, you will have dressings on your wounds, about 5. no pills from here on out, chewable only. you will leave with a rx for a liquid painkiller, i still have some of mine, i didn't use too much!

lastly, good luck!!!:) you will be fine! and welcome to our band of "losers"!

Hello Laphappy my answers below in blue.

1. Do you have to have a naked pre surgery photo taken, I have heard of this on other threads and it's enough to make me cancel the surgery ! :)They don't take a naked picture or any picture that I know of but, you should definately do it for yourself with underwear or tighter fitting clothing. Do that just so you can compare it as you're losing and see the difference. I highly recommend doing that.

2. When did you get to go home post-op, noonish, later? I know it will vary but I wanted to give my family some idea. I went home around 3pm the next day.

3. Did you have an NG tube going from your nose to your stomach when you woke up? No tube for me when I woke up. Just the intrevenous.

4. Did they give you an abdominal binder elastic girdle thingy afterwards? No abdominal binder for me.

5. Any pain medication prescriptions when you were discharged, or just Tylenol? yes Dr. Jones does prescripe meds you pick up at the pharmacy on your way home. I took it for about 3.5 days then switched to Tylenol because the pain meds were making me sick.

Good luck with your surgery! See you on the banded side soon!

Good luck laphappy. You'll do great! I ditto Sherry and Dezadoo's replies, except I left the hospital around 5 or 6 pm. Post when you're home and feeling up to it!

1. photo? i do not think i have to do that, it wasn't even mentioned

2. i got out after dinner time the next day

3. tube was out

4. no binder

5. liquid roxicet script given you will want to fill this right away!

best of luck and keep posting, let us know how you are doing

deb

Good questions Lap!!! Of course by this time, she is already in surgery!

Thanks for the answers. I have my surgery next Monday! I am so nervous and excited at the same time. I cannot believe this is really happening!

I appreciate the answers to the questions. I have another one. Did everyone get a urinary catheter? At my pre-op appt today, the nurse mentioned that I may wake up with an NG tube and a catheter. I was surprised by this. I just didn't expect it. Not a big deal either way..naturally I would prefer to not have it.

Does anyone know how long the procedure takes? I cannot believe I have not ever asked this of the folks in the bariatric dept. Now all of these questions are coming to me. I am assuming my husband will want to stay at the hospital until I am out of surgery so I guess I am just wondering what to expect.

Hope everyone is doing well. I see you mentioned the reunion in March. I am curious about that. Also, do any of you attend the support meetings at BIDMC?

TTYL!

yup urinary catheter, what fun! as far as the procedure, i guess it takes a couple of hours, maybe 3 or so i don't remember ANYTHING until later in the evening, except throwing up, the gas made me sick!!!! i also remember feeling REALLY groggy until the next morning and i kept worrying that something was wrong since i couldn't wake up but i was fine!

Hi all, I'm back safe and sound from surgery Monday. Thanks for answering all of my questions. My surgery was 9:30a Monday and I don't think they took me back until 10:30. I woke up in recovery at 1:00 but who knows how long I had been there. I had a morphine PCA which took care of any pain I was having, got some nausea medicine. Then I went to my room and felt drowsy, but mostly awake. I sort of slept off and on all night and had a swallow test in the morning. But the staff was really busy so I didn't end up leaving until 8:00 pm! I was a little frustrated with that, but it was okay in the end.

So far no gas pains and I'm tolerating 4-8oz of liquid an hour without any problems. I am having a lot of SORENESS :rolleyes: around where my port incision is and the other one next to it, which is also pretty big. I took off the dressing today as Dr. Jones said it was okay, and the two bigger incisions don't look very good to me. Very bruised and still a little oozy. Anyone else have that? My next stop is the scar stages pics just to compare. I am so very very sore. Getting out of chairs is almost impossible!!

And to add insult to injury I was up 5lbs on the scale this morning :) I'm sure it will go down, just sort of annoying. :faint:

Thanks again for all your help!

Laphappy...congrats on your surgery and don't get discouraged by the weight gain as it is due to the surgery. You'll loose that pretty soon...just think of all the fluids they pumped you up with! Those fluids don't flow easily out until you're up and about walking around. I had bruising as well and although my port site was sore at first it healed rather quickly. For me it was the incision that is up on your left by your ribs that took forever for me to feel ok with. I asked Dr. Jones and Angi why it hurt so much and they told me that's because that's the site that most of the work is done through in regards to moving your liver out of the way and putting the band around your stomach. There is alot more in and out motion in that area and that spot took me over a month and a half to finally feel normal. I had a hard time getting up and down for about a week and a half as well. No surgery is easy peasy and your body thinks it went through a train wreck lol. One day at a time.

Hello my other BIDMC gals! I went to see Dr. Jones today and met Scott. DH and him hit it off both being military of course. My DH was on Submarines for 9-10 years so they talked alot about that stuff. I liked the fact that he asked alot of questions and gave me answers for stuff I had. Example...I sometimes have acid reflux. Seems mostly when my period is due and that is when my band is tighter too. Dr. Jones says....if I get that 3-4 days in a row I need to probably have a little fill taken out as it's not good and can cause other problems. If I throw up too much it causes something that brings on memory loss too? I told him I seem to only throw up once a month and again it's usually when it's close to my period and I think it's because I don't realize how swollen my body is...eat like I'm used to and BINGO too much too fast BLECK. I need to learn still to slow down even more. Anyway....Jones was very happy with my weight loss and said he doesn't need to see me for another 6 months unless I call them with a problem. I asked if I felt I needed a fill could I call he said yes but, if I'm getting acid reflux that could be that I have too much fill and if I lose more weight and it adjusts itself so I'm not getting it anymore then that means I'm at the right level of fill. Soooo I stay where I am fill wise...and see him in 6 months :rolleyes: Ohh and OMG I hit 75 pounds lost today :) Yippee Skippee.....3 more pounds to ONDERLAND!

Sherry glad to hear your apt w/Dr Jones went well! You are doing fantastic!!!! I can't wait to Celebrate Onderland with you!!!!

Congrats Laphappy, and welcome to bandland!!!! My incisions looked a little funky for a while. Just keep an eye on them if they seem oozy after a full week or so. I didn't like the look of one of my incisions so I went in to see Dr Jones towards the end of the second week post-op, and he re-opened and drained my incision a bit. It's been good ever since. I was very sore for about a week and a half. It was much harder than I thought, but it gets better every day. The gas pains were the worst for me, so consider yourself lucky!!

why does that happen, sends before i am done. i can operate a 240 MW power plant, but home pc is another story

sherry way to go!!!!!!!! can't wait till we meet

sunday the kids came down and we went to a fund raiser for the boys and girls club. companies buy trees and decorate them so people can buy tickets and try to win them. so i do this with the grandkids and give them tickets to put in the cans of the trees they like. of course first we have to find my company's tree. I get a call from michelle sunday night asking if i am playing a joke on her and she got a call, they said she won my company's tree. what are the odds first of winning and 2nd to win my company's tree. too funny.

so grandma went and took down the tree and shot it down to the kids made great time coming home 1hr 15 mins.

i have been under some stress lately and found one morning it almost hurt to drink my coffee. i think that might be my problem that happened with the restrition and i probably agravated (sp?) my inside and the restrition

a mind is a trerrible thing to loose ha ha

i am planning of going to the BI thingie in march with michelle

oh hey sherry scott is great, i was talking to him about ken coming home and that after stress thing (ken was sleeping alot) scott is realy nice

well folk i know this post is choppy, but i am operating on fumes. hopping a plane to florida for a few days today (of course the weather here will be nice)

laphappy it's all up hill now!!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go

deb

Hi all, It sounds like everyone is doing wonderful!! Congrats Sherry. Go girl!!! I had my stress test yesterday. I don't have results yet. Tomorrow I have a colonoscopy, so we will see if they have learned anything. Then next week I go back to the hematologist. I feel soooooooo far behind everyone else. If they find the anemia is better next week - maybe I could see Dr. Jones?? Keep up the good work everyone. Nana