Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating fast will definately do it as well as not chewing well. I've had it quite a few times and every time I've smacked my forehead and said DUH lol

hi guys! well, i have a story for you, this past columbus day wkend by dh got a bug up his butt to go to williamsburg, va for the wkend. well, i don;t let him drive cuz he has the directional sense of wrong-way charlie! it took use 2 hrs to get to 84 and then there was a 16 mi backup in ct and ny. it was 9 pm (we started at 2) til we got to nj. we stopped in md to sleep then they got a monsoon down in the mid-atlantic area. it was horrible driving and flooding everywhere!! so all-inall it took 14 hours to get there, we spent 1 1/2 days at colonial williamsburg and busch gardens and then back in the car for an 11 hour drive back! woohoo!

also, i am at a plateau w/ my wt loss. only 1 lbs in the last 2-3 weeks. i know it;ll start again soon but i hate the wait!

how is everyone doing? any other news?

dez

Hey Dez...sounds like quite the trip. Don't worry about the plateau You'll break it. Holy smokes...just noticed he gave you 2cc's in the first fill? Wowza. Do you have alot of restriction?

I saw Chrispy yesterday and she looks great! You can see the weight loss already. Go Chrissssss, Go Chrissssssss (doing the cabbage patch hee hee)

Deb - how are you doing with the eating...have you slowed down? I had a hard time at dinner today but that's because I tried pork again. I love the stuff but it's not liking me lol.

well, i guess there was 1 cc in after sx and his intern pulled that out and added 2 full cc's so there's a total of 2cc's so i guess it's a 1 cc addition, i don't know he was not exactly a font of info that day, it seems busy is the word at the clinic lately!

go chris!!!!

deb - eating too quick was the issue i think at the fair, i also had an incident, tightness aroung my chest on vaca this wkend and i think i tried to eat too early in the day, i usu have a Protein Shake for Breakfast. chew, chew, chew lol!

sherry - have you had a prob with shredded pork? i haven't tried reg pork yet but i'll be careful, chix can be difficult i've heard so i chew REALLY well.

by the way...tonite i had my first piece of pizza!!!!! carmelized onions, green pepper, and mushrooms...mmmmm!!!! it took me forever to eat! but gosh was it AWESOME!!!

Dez I can eat shredded pork from some restaurants but, not always. finicky band lol

You're right the clinic is TOO busy sometimes, especially lately. I don't know for certain what's in my band either. Jones put in 1-1.5 the first time so we called it 1.25. The second time he only pulled out .50 (where the rest went is beyond me) so he put in that .50 plus 1.c so I currently have anywhere from 1.25-2.25 right now.

i emailed angi and asked her about the size of my band and she said it was a 10cm band which holds a max of 4cc's. she said her sweet spot is about 1.5. dr.jones told me that the saline can evap, i'm not sure where to, thus the need for fills periodically. angi also said they usu dont fill more than 2-3 cc's. i guess we need to use it as a tool, work hard and hope for the best!

Hi ladies,

Dez - what a trip you had! I had a good laugh over the monsoon. What a hoot!

Hmmm...so is Dr Jones now filling the band at surgery time, where he wasn't back in February? Oh man....so many questions! lol It was funny - I told Sherry that I totally felt restriction this week. I just thought it was the swelling, which it very well may be, but maybe it's part fill as well. You know what? I am going to mentally believe that I have somewhat of a fill and maybe that will help me along! lmao

So my appetite is back. Crap! lol. I'm trying to decipher between the head hunger and real hunger, and am doing ok. I've been keeping my calories around 800 which, if you think about it, is completely insane! Who would have ever thought I could function on so little. lol. I probably ate that many calories in one meal before the band. Crazy, huh? Anyway, overall I'm doing well. I'm glad to see everyone is doing great too.

someone dr.j or angi mentioned that some Fluid is in the band pre sx, not much but i thought it was about 1cc. glad you're feeling well chris! it just gets better as time goes on. when do you go back to work?

the hunger thing tripped me up for a while too so i took to letting my tummy rumble and sometimes it's loud!!! in class last week it was so loud a few kids commented, one actually thought i farted! lol! i didn;t have the heart to tell him i heard him. besides i was laughing too hard to say anything!!!

hi folks

went up east to see the kids monday and spend the day, boy did it go by fast. I am back on nights. I got to show michelle i have no problem eating as much as i want. and tried salad for the first time. Gee i thought i would never miss salad but it was real good LOL. so i thought i would only be able to eat a small amount and be full. no so right now.

I asked her if Debbie Z was leaving also, she laugh and said it doesn't take long for the word to spread, so she is going too. i only met her once. 1st impression wasn;t that big of a deal. she was nicer after she found out i am related to michelle, which shouldn't be that way.

i will e mail michelle today and ask her to see if i had a fill when band was installed. ??

the scale hasn't moved for me, but i did have some oroe's (bad girl) (70 cal for one little cookie its a crime)

but still i am keeping track on fit day and i am about 1400 for ave cal for the week. Now that i am on nights i will be a good girl.

when i went to my appt. they asked me if i go to support group meeting, i told kelly that i go on line (thanks for being my support :wacko: )

dez...i never been there was it worth the trip?

chris sounds like your doing good, yeh i was a little bummed when my hunger came back. i am trying not to think about it now getting ready to go to bed

sherry so you added to your fill in aug, and the they took some out is that right?

well folks its almost 7:30 am time to go to bed LOL (what some people will do for money LOL)

nite deb

got e mail from michelle

NO! Incorrect. He absolutely does not fill any bands during surgery. They always put some Fluid in the band (in the OR before the band is inserted) and then remove it all and then prime (just leave fluid in the tubing) the line. This is to make sure the band is working and that there are no leaks and when fluid is placed there is no air in the line, just saline. They make sure there is no fluid left in the band. It is important to leave it unfilled so the stomach has time to heal and form scar tissue around the band before filling.

You may pass this email along to "the girls".

Hello all!

Michelle

Hey rainbow. Thanks for checking with Michelle on this one. Great resource as we get a very technical answer. So are you still losing without a fill? You've done great so far, but I'm sure it's not easy.

Dez - that is too funny! I do noticet that my stomach makes some weird noises. I just had some Cambell's Select Soup, and it was pureed but there were little bits of corn in there and my stomach started making all these noises. Now I'm all worried the corn pieces are going to slip my band! lol. Man oh man! lol

yeap I second that the band has no fill in it other than the testing Fluid they use. I ask about all that stuff before banding just out of curiosity. Another thing...they say some evaporates but also...my theory here....when we lay down at night the fluid evens out from band to port. That's why we're so restricted in the morning...well me anyway lol. Until I've walked around a bit and gravity takes the fluid away from the band or at least partially away. Well that's my theory and I'm buying it hahaha. I beleive some fluid would evaporate etc but, heck I'm still wondering where the heck my original 1.25 went...kinda scarey. If 2-3cc is what they like to give total and I'm either at 1.25-2.25......not sure I want another fill for a long long time. I'm still restricted just right. Went out to eat with my hubby and his brother and his wife...ate one boneless buffalo chicken strip about 3'' long and 3 nachos......one spoonful of my french onion Soup and I'm done UGH.

Well off to do some work around the house. Hope you all are doing well and shrinking!!!!!

Hi everyone,

I haven't been joining in because I had nothing to contribute. I am waiting to see a hematologist. But, you bring up something I have wondered about. When you get to "normal" eating ,whatever that is, Sherry, since you have been banded the longest you should be able to answer this -- what amount should you be able to eat at one meal. At my first meeting a man who had the bariatric said that he had lost 100 lbs and all he could eat at one meal was the equivalent of a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich. Is that what you think, Sherry? Any one else have an opinion? I am just curious. I am willing to take whatever it is. I thought I would be banded by the coming holidays, so it made me think. Nana

Hey Nana! Good to hear from you! Of course you have stuff to contribute, even if it's just saying hi.

I'm at the stage right now where I am starving, and trying to stick within the 600-800 calorie range on liquids. It's funny how I've been beating myself up for eating 850 or 900 calories because I had an extra cup of Soup or something. I'm all worried I won't lose any more weight. HELLOOOO...it's 900 calories!!! lmao. I'm back to full function too, and moving around a lot, which I think is making me a bit hungrier. It's only been one week of this liquid diet and man does it suck! lol. I go a week from today for my follow up visit. Hopefully it will be on to mushies. Dez, Rainbow, and of course Sherry - when you start on mushies does the heavier food keep you more full than the liquids or is it just as hard to not eat?