Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Plication done this morning

Hey everyone.....

Went in at 8:15am, surgery at 9:15 and home but 1pm. Surgery went well and I have been up and walking trying to get rid of the air, which is the only issue I am having right now. I am so excited about this new journey. If anyone is interested or has questions about GP's or Gastric plication or Gastric imbrication (all is the same). I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Remember, I have only been home 3 hours so if I don't get back with you immediately......you know why.

Wow home already... that was fast. Congrats on your surgery. Best wishes on a full recovery. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Deb

Can you explain why you did this surgery instead of sleeve? My brother wants to do something but is scared...what are the pros and cons between the two in your opinion.

I hope everything is going well for you. I just set a surgery date of aug.17th for gastric plication, I am just not sure if I am confident with this surgery for me. I am concerned I wont be able to lose all the weight (120) with plication. I have so little information about this procedure, how did you decide to go with it?

Hi Everyone,

I have been going through this process for 15 years. First it was the Gastric bypass which I am glad my insurance didn't pay because had I gone through with it I would not have happy. The lap band was what I want but after reading from individuals about the complaints they have had with dialation, port issues, sweet spot, thing getting stuck, slipage, erosion and not to mention slow weight loss I didn't want that either. My doctor has started to do the plication. The reason I chose this over the sleeve is because with the plication there is no cutting, stapling and throwing away the excess stomach. I still have my large part of my stomach, the difference is that he has folded it up to look like a seam and stitched it. It is virtually without complications. I still have the restriction like anyone else and will through up if I eat too much but I no deep down if I had to undue this procedure that mine is reversible. I have no restrictions on food and I don't have to worry about slime or acid reflux because my doctor fixed that while he was in there. My post-op has been surgery perfect. Air in the body cavity and I immediately started walking in my house to get rid of that. Not much discomfort in the stomach at all and I am a baby. Now third day I am having gas discomfort again will be walking and pushing liquids to help with this. Please feel free to write me with more questions as they come up. I very excited to share my experience with everyone.

I hope everything is going well for you. I just set a surgery date of aug.17th for gastric plication, I am just not sure if I am confident with this surgery for me. I am concerned I wont be able to lose all the weight (120) with plication. I have so little information about this procedure, how did you decide to go with it?

Kamie,

To answer this question for you regarding how much weight. This is still a tool and from the weight charts on a two year period people are losing about 60% of excess weight their first year. They consider this a happy marriage between Gastric bypass and the band without all the restrictions. I asked my doctor the very same question because I have about 200lbs to lose and he stated that higher bmi are doing the best and that over a two year period we all equal out in weight on all surgeries. Hope this helps.

Becca

thank you so much. I know this is just a tool to help with weight loss, I am just so concerned about failing, I want to make sure it is restrictive enough. I am so glad to hear that you have been feeling so well. I am excited to see how you progress. kt

who was your doctor Beccatatqueen? How are you doing now?

My doctor was Dr. Watkins located in West Chester, Ohio. My surgery was July 14th of this year.

So, did you have the Sleeve plication or the kind that they remove your stomach. How are you doing with everything, ie, eating, drinking, weightloss?

Hey everyone.....

Went in at 8:15am, surgery at 9:15 and home but 1pm. Surgery went well and I have been up and walking trying to get rid of the air, which is the only issue I am having right now. I am so excited about this new journey. If anyone is interested or has questions about GP's or Gastric plication or Gastric imbrication (all is the same). I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Remember, I have only been home 3 hours so if I don't get back with you immediately......you know why.

So how are you doing now? What about the weight loss? How do you feel? Any problems? Considering surgery not sure which one I should do (plication versus sleeve)??:)

So how are you doing now? What about the weight loss? How do you feel? Any problems? Considering surgery not sure which one I should do (plication versus sleeve)??:)

Doing well.....I am about 7 weeks post op and really not having any issues. Like other weight surgeries this is just a tool. You still need to watch your food intake and exercise. Weight wise I believe I am a little past 30lbs. I have been able to start exercising faithfully the past two weeks so I am hoping this will help. Only problems I had was the nauseous feeling but I was able to overcome that with the help of meds from my doctor and time. I believe more than anything it was my stomach just being mad at me and trying to heal. My personal opinion is the plication over the sleeve for the fact that it is reversible where the sleeve is not. Hope I have helped. Dr. Watkins was my doctor and he has written some great information on this website regarding plication. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask and I will be brutally honest with you. The only draw back that I have is the fact that my doc fixed my stomach but I have to fix my head. There is no doubt there is an emotion that comes with food and working on that is the hard part.

What about hunger? Aren't the hunger producing hormones still producing? How much do you think you have lost since surgery?