Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill and needing support

i was banded on april 19th in san antonio by dr rincon. i recieved my first fill on the 1st of june. (was scared for nothing, fill went smoothly) i am having a hard time with eating anything right now:help: . i tried to eat normal mushy food and thru it up. just wondering when i will get the hang of eating the correct way. one thing that has been great is i have lost a total of 23 lbs so far!!!!!:clap2: starting weight : 265/current 242/goal150!

I was banded on the 28th and had my first fill yesterday. I am definitely filling restriction (probably a little swelling right now) couldn't get my whole cup of coffee down this a.m. and took me like 2 hours to get down half of my protien shake...grrrrrr........but this evening, I ate a bit of fish so feeling better now.

How much did they fill you with? My first fill was 1.2cc. I was on liquids one day and mushies the next. I didn't feel restriction until one week after fill. by week 3 I had no restriction and only had .5cc left in my band. I am now properly restricted at 1cc.

You need to be very cautious after EVERY fill. Take tiny bites, the size of a bean. Chew to liquid. Wait a few seconds before the next bite. If you have PB'd AT ALL you need to back up and do a day of liquids/mushies. There are instances where you can cause a case of swelling and create a cycle of trying to eat/PB/swelling/trying to eat while swollen/PB/swelling etc...

very interesting i didnt think of it happening that way, but makes all logical sense. i just get a little paranoid, because i dont want anything to slip. i feel a little stupid about some of the questions i have, because i thought i did ALL the research. i am just so determined that this is going to work this time, i have tried too many things so far that hasn't.

i am just so determined that this is going to work this time, i have tried too many things so far that hasn't.

What LLcooljones said.

i am having a hard time with eating anything right now . i tried to eat normal mushy food and thru it up

If you are having a hard time with mushies then I would have to say you may be a little too tight. You should be able to eat solids without too many problems and you are having problems with mushys. Having as little as .2 cc's removed will make a huge diference in being able to eat solids but yet still have enough restriction to lose weight. Being too tight can cause many problems, be a smart and responsible bandster, call your Dr. and let him know you are PBing on mushys. I know my Dr. would have me come in for a slight unfill if it were me...also you are always tighter in the mornings, try drinking a hot cup of tea or coffee, it should help to open you up a bit...but remember once you throw up or PB you need to do liquids for a day, since PBing can often irritate your esophagus and stoma which can result in another PB the nnext time you eat, the swelling needs to go down before you venture on to food again, I know this first hand, I did not do this with a big PB and continued to eat and continued to PB which gave me a horrible case of esophagitis. It becomes a vicious cycle eat PB swell..eat PB swell, you need to rest things for a day or two with liquids only, this is my Dr.s instructions on a PB and many other Dr.s too. Hang in there it takes time to get used to this new way of life but it is all worth it in the end :P

I hope you are feeling better. I was there with you when you got your fill... I was last in line.

If you are still having difficulty getting mushies down (even though you should be able to eat solids by now) I would go get some unfill.

He was really aggressive with you and Michelle's fills and maybe it was a tad too much. I got a little less (1.5cc) and I am definately feeling plenty of restriction, and with plenty of food that I can't eat.

let me know how you are doing.

Kathi

kathi, nice to hear your doing okay. i am having a hard time, i am trying to eat solids and so much is not working , i may have to go and get some removed. the only nice thing is i am down .5 lb a day. but i am starting to get really hungry and tired of doing liquids every other day. i have up-chucked 3 times from this, i feel like i dont know what i am doing?????

If you can't eat any solids (other than the ones that are notoriously hard with the band), then I would go for a slight unfill. I think that 2cc is really alot for a first fill in our 4 cc band. He gave me 1.5cc and I am completely feeling restriction and FINALLY loosing some weight.

You have to be able to eat, plus you don't want to get into a cycle of up-chucking then liquids.... It is not good for you or your band.

Give Dr Rincon a call and see what he says. Let me know.

I too am a little apprehensive about my eating habits. I had my first fill 2 days ago and have had no problems, no pb's but I am taking it really careful. 1 cup of food really does fill me up now or 2 cups of soft stuff like Soup. I had 1.5 chicken strips and a most of a bowl of chili yesterday for lunch at wendy's (about 1.5cups of food total) and was full for hours. Started to slime a tiny bit on the chicken (had to slow down a little) but I just stopped and it went down fine. Learning to slow down and take tiny bites and chew chew chew. I got away with a lot before my fill, no more. Good luck :)