Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canadian Chat

:canada: I was thinking....there is a chat room on this website. There is never anyone there when I visit. I thought it would be neat if us Canadians could somehow set a time once a week to log into chat. Maybe the same hour every week. It would be fun to do live chat with all you guys, EH? I realize that some of us are in different time zones, and work different shifts, etc...any ideas on how we could organize this would be great. If there is an interest that is. What ya think?:canada:

That would be cool but difficult to get a conveninet time for everyone. But it is worth trying.

I have gone to the chat room a few times (not recently) and usually nobody is there. However a couple of times I lucked in and was able to chat with folks.

:canada: :canada:

Okay, I'm going to through-out a day and time, and see what the feedback is.......WEDNESDAYS at 7:30 pm....I have no idea what time that is anywhere else in Canada. This would be Ontario time. Please reply. Either different days or bump the time back or forward.

I can try for Wed at 7:30 pm (Ontario time) but not this week (tomorrow). I'm actually having a Cards night with the gals over here. My husband (chef) is making dinner and everything. I know, I know...not too smart right after a fill, eh?!!

Je suis une idiot!!!

But I'll try for next Wed if the date/time remains.

I think you just like rubbing in that chef thing, don't ya? :P

I'll try to be there tomorrow... I believe that's 5:30 for me.

My husband is going to be working in Canada, but we don't know where yet? Is there anybody here who would be interested in taking the time to answer a bunch of stupid questions?

OK. Here goes. We will probably be in Canada on a job off and on for about 10 years. What is the temperature right now? What is the weather usually like in September? In December? We live in Louisiana, and we have no clothing for cold weather. This past winter, we may have had 3 or 4 days in the 20's, and the rest of the time, 40's to 60's. I think we only had one episode where we even had to worry about pipes freezing. Anyway, since we are not citizens of Canada, will we be able to open a checking account there? Does Chase, Capital One, or Washington Mutual have banks there? To get online, here I use AOL. Is AOL in Canada? Later, we will try to get a rent house or apartment so we can bring our dog. There are going to be so many things that are confusing. What side of the road does everyone drive on? Ridiculous, I know, to know absolutely nothing about our neighbor, but I tend to live in the here and now. And I won't know until Monday where we are even going.

Haha.. we drive on the same side of the road, so I'm sure driving will be pretty much the same!

It REALLY depends on where you're going to be living. If you're any where 'interior', I'd say a safe bet would be 20 (and hotter) Celcius in the summer (average) and -15C in the winter. That would be 68 F and 5 F for you. That's a ballpark estimate. It can and does get WAY hotter in the summer, and way colder in the winter. It all depends on where you are going to be living.

(right now, where I am, which is practically right in the middle of Canada, it's raining, and about 10C. (50F) It's supposed to stop and be about 24C for the weekend, which is 75F for you)

I'm sure opening an account here isn't a problem if you're not a citizen. I don't know if those banks exist here, and if they do, it's likely not everywhere... maybe Vancouver or Toronto.

There is an AOL Canada, but you'll have way better choices elsewhere! Pretty much every phone company and cable company has internet service available.

Let us know when you find out where you'll be going, and I can tell you more about the weather!

You can be sure that as soon as I know where we are going, I will be back asking more questions. Surfing the web looking for info is just not the same as chattin with someone living there.

Yeah, that's true. When you know, start a new thread and call it something like "I'm moving to ____, what do I need to know!?"

I'll be watching for it :cool:

( i edited my last post to tell you what "my" current temperature is)

Mandi

Hey Teasie...

For sure, as Argon said....let us know where you'll be moving to and we can give you a WEALTH of info.

Personally, I've lived across Canada (including the North) so I'll be able to answer pretty much anything.

As for those banks...no...as far as I know they are not in Canada at all. But you'll have no issues opening up an account at one of the many banks here.

You should start getting used to temp readings in celsius though....and then of course you'll have to add the "wind chill factor" in the winter!! brrrrrr.

Talk soon!

Hey Teasie, if your from Louisina then you probably have one of those wonderful southern accents! My family drove to New Orleans last year and we loved it when we got further south and could get the southern radio stations. Love the accent!! All your new Canadian neighbours will love your accent too, I'm sure.:) P.S.......your gonna need a coat!!