Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since Operation Day, I have had to wear these thigh high support stockings, which has been a killer during this hot weather! :thumbdown: I know it is to avoid thrombosis, and will be wearing them for 10 days.

I just realised no-one else has mentioned them.

Am I alone in wearing this sexy support hose?

No I didnt have to wear them, I had the boots on for surgery but they removed those after recovery and I was walking within 3 hrs. Those thing are hard to get on too, can't imagine having to pull on them the first few days. Be careful.

I had the boots as well. When I wasn't walking, they would put them on my feet and turn on the compression pump or whatever it is. I didn't have to wear the stockings.

I had to wear them when sleeping, or if I was going to be sedentary for more than 2 hours. I only wore them at night to sleep in. I made sure to get up and walk as often as possible to avoid having to wear those horrible things.

Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this Judy. It seems a little antiquated for you to be wearing these so long post op. Did they give you a reason, like something specific to your medical history that would require it? It seems like as long as you are up moving you shouldn't need them for 10 days...but, we all have to put up with the quirks of our doctors. I suspect that's what this is. But, in a few more days, you'll be free of the torture.:thumbup:

Yes, I had to wear the sexy stockings! But I only needed to wear them the first three days then only to sleep long periods for several days after that. Getting them on and off was a challenge, but I just asked my girls to help me and they were more than willing to help mommy. :thumbup:

I wasn't told to wear them but there is, with some people, an expectation of swelling in the ankles or lower legs post-op and I guess it's only if the physician advises this. I can imagine how uncomfortable it would be to wear them in the heat .. it's like being sucked in with tensor bandages :thumbup1:

Yep, had to wear them the whole time I was in the hospital, then when I was released, the Dr. told me to wear them as long as I could. I was having real bad pain around my knees, and after getting home, I took them off to have a shower (wasn't able to have one in hospital because of IV) and saw that they had made this horrible mark on my knee from being so tight. Never wore them again.:thumbup1:

I had to wear them during the op and post op while I was in hospital - which was 2 days.

My surgeon was very cautious about thrombosis - and I'd much rather play on the side of caution than risk a DVT.

Hope you get the all clear to take them off soon.

Kathy

It's funny this got posted now, I just received my pre-op packet and it talks about the need to wear the stockings. It also mentioned the need to stop oral contraceptives one month prior to surgery, due to increased bloodclot risk. Wish I would have known that two weeks ago! I'll stop but I'm only 2 weeks out now.