Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged and Considering Other Options

Hey everyone --

At the risk of boring those of you who know my story: I was banded in 2003. Slipped in 2004. Had it repaired in 2005. Slipped again in 2006 and had it removed in March! With the exception of some weight gain(s) when I had no fill, I was down about 70 pounds from my high on my 3/13/06 removal date. Since then, I've increased my exercise...more frequently, longer periods of time and greater intensity. I try eating better -- less junk, more fruit, etc. But like most of us, I am far from perfect. My calorie intake would suggest small, slow loss or at the very least, maintaining my current weight -- not weight gain. And Yes, my head drives most of my eating.

Despite my efforts, I keep slowly gaining. First three pounds...then another three...then another three... and I just feel so out of control that it will be only a matter of time that I'm back to my all time high (257). As of today, I've regained 15 pounds in almost three months.

My BMI now is 35. My insurance now excludes bariatric surgery, but I feel so panicked and desperate that I would find a way to cash-pay.

I don't want to do the band again. But I feel like since I failed, I might not be successful with something that would be irreversible! I don't know if slips were my fault or fills that were too tight -- my money is on me -- overeating and then vomiting.

So I'm actually looking into other options...Optifast (great if I want a guarantee to gain any weight lost back), RNY or DS. Would a Doctor even perform it if I'm only about 50-60 pounds overweight now, as opposed to the 100 when band was first placed? Geezer Sue, if you care to weigh in (pardon the pun), I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And, I'm accepting any encouragement that's out there. It's sooooo frustrating when I feel I'm doing enough that the scale should show some maintenance in weight at least, not the constant $$%%^%^& gaining.

Thanks, as always.

Elizabeth:scalesno: :cry

Weighing in...80 pounds down, at that.

Insurance. Well...I don't know. I SUSPECT that if the band is causing any problems, then the removal of the band would be covered. Frankly, though, I think it's a pretty extreme surgery for 50-60 pounds...even though we both know that some people (yours truly) are capable of regaining all the lost weight.

You will not "fail" at losing weight with the RnY or DS. Beyond that, I can't speak for the RnY.

Your DS challenges would be to take the supplements as though your life depended on it...because it does. And, generally speaking, getting those last 25-40 pounds off and then keeping them off is a challenge from what I observe. My more experienced DS buddies tell me that what is different is that they walk into WW's needing to lose 10 or 15 pounds, not 150 or 200. There's a visible end in sight for those who use that plan. They achieve their goal, they go on with their lives, they gain 10 or 15 again next year...and go back to WW. "Like," they say, "NORMAL people." I can't verify this story, but it's what I've been told.

But, I'm 59 and don't have the same concerns about long term complications as someone yonger might have.

Visit the OH /DS message board--available through here--for info on the self-pay out-of-country surgeons:

http://obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/

And encouragement? Well...when our daughter was in high school I realized that while we had always told her that school wasn't over until she graduated with a Bachelor's degree...neither of her parents had actually done that. So I went back to school and got the degree, so that I "had the right" to keep saying that.

So, I'm going to tell you what I feel I have the right to say: Give it your best. But do NOT start beating yourself up if your best, with this approach, does not take you where you want to go.

Sue

I know that Dr. Pleatman does revision and replacement surgery after banding. He will also do the surgery even though you are at or near goal weight because you had a previous weight loss surgery. He also has a self pay method. He is up in the Michigan area. Try looking up his name on here Dr_Pleatman and see if you can email him from here.

If you are doing all this work, and yet you are gaining weight, have you considered a metabolic panel?

You've had quite a struggle, but you've also had some good success.

I don't know why this is such a hard slog for some of us. I don't know why some people get to live life as a "normal" size, why they get to eat what they want, and not gain weight. I don't know why some of us gain weight on bread and Water.

I cannot offer any real suggestions of concequent about revisions, since no weightloss surgery will help me lose weight.

Thanks, everyone.

I think a metabolic panel would be a great start. I'm convinced that the year or so I spent on very low calorie band eating (and ocassionally barfing up what I did get down) has freaked out my metabolism. We all know how fat cells go into starvation mode and hold on to every consumed calorie after being denied. Where do you start with the metabolic panel? Just a regular internist?

Geezer, the removal of my band was covered by insurance -- I had it out in March but did not revise at that time. I was too scared because of the complications I'd had with the band...and too confident I could maintain the weight loss. It's a DS or RNY or VGB that would not be covered because my policy now excludes all bariatric surgeries.

I'm not at goal weight -- still a good 60-70 pounds away. But, again, with a BMI that's 35, my surgeon did mention DS and RNY as possibilities when we talked about band removal. It would probably be a good idea to schedule a consult with him as well, but not quite ready to do that.

Thanks again, ya'll. This sucks, makes me sad and depressed. This morning, I was going to work out -- would have been my fifth workout of the week -- and the "why bother" attitude kicked in. That's just today. I know tomorrow I'll get back on the horse.

Elizabeth

I'm sorry, Elizabeth. I just "read over" the part that said your band was out (or, I FORGOT it between the time I read and and when i responded.) Dennis Smith in Atlanta has a good reputation, too. He won't do revisions of other doctors' work, but since your band is out...that probably would not apply.

I DO know that my surgeon says that revisions are the most difficult for him, but NOT because of the physical part...because they are sure they will "fail" again.

I don't know if I'll get to goal. Hell, I don't even know what my goal weight IS. But as far as losing weight out the starting gate...this is EXPONENTIALLY easier than thae band.

Another option is the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy... .might be great for you because of your low BMI, success with the Band, and self-pay reasons. Self-pay usually runs around $18000 from what I've seen. I think Pleatman does this as well.

I'm not trying to be this big VSG proponent but I've seen some really good results from it on the Obesity Help board as well as some surgeons' yahoo groups.

www.lapsf.com has the best pages on it.

... I've increased my exercise...more frequently, longer periods of time and greater intensity. I try eating better -- less junk, more fruit, etc. But like most of us, I am far from perfect. My calorie intake would suggest small, slow loss or at the very least, maintaining my current weight -- not weight gain. And Yes, my head drives most of my eating.

You should also find out what your real body mass is. This should give you a better idea of what you actually need to lose. I've highlighted the fact that you have been excersizing more, and this is very important. You may have pulled a Pat and actually put on a lot of muscle. It is very imprtant to understand that the BMI scale is USLESS for athelete.

I think to start the pannel you would either see an internist, or an Endo.

I DO know that my surgeon says that revisions are the most difficult for him, but NOT because of the physical part...because they are sure they will "fail" again.

But as far as losing weight out the starting gate...this is EXPONENTIALLY easier than thae band.

Seconding both of these statements.

Elizabeth.

Being a new banster I don't have any advice. I read everything everyone says because I never want to think that these things can't happen to me. They can!

Good luck and big ((((HUGS))))