Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cruising with the sleeve?

So, based on what I can tell, best case scenario for me is getting surgery in November or early December. We've just booked a Disney Cruise for February 13th (with friends plus a good discount, so date non-negotiable). In my head, I'm at that point where the food part of the cruise isn't one of the big draws for me anymore - at least that's what I tell myself since I haven't been faced with the sleeve reality yet.

Anyhoo, for those of you who've already been sleeved, would you have gone on a cruise 2-3 months post op? I'm not so worried about what to eat, I know that there are always options available, but I'm nervous about eating in front of friends every night! Ack! Of course, I do know that there are always possibilities of complications post surgery, but that's not part of this post/equation...

I'm happy to hear what you would have done...

I am 4 weeks post op and I can say that I have gone out every tuesday night with the girls since I came home. But I have never been on a cruise so I can't say how that I be but I can say that being social and eating out I have overcome the drawbacks. I have either had Soup, or something mushy like a side of mashed potatoes, whatever met my food restrictions. It was difficult at first becaue your mind is in the frame of mind you should be able to order a drink, eat what you want, or eat while talking. But after a few weeks I have mastered taking my time cutting up my food, requesting my appetizer to be delivered with the other ladies food, playing with the food on my plate before putting a small bite in my mouth, puttng my fork down while I chew, and really talking and making eye contact. That and I have also found that asking for a dogging boxes as soon as everyone is done eating really helps because your not looking at all the left overs and wising you could just eat it for them. Just some lil ideas.

I actually went on a cruise right at 3 months out, and I had a great time! I had more energy to actually go and do than I have had in a LLOONNGG time. As for the eating, all of the friends that went with us knew about my surgery and were supportive. I had no problems, but I have also been eating in front of other people since I went back to work, around 2 to 3 weeks out, and the people that went on the cruise with us also work for us, so we do lunch every single day together. I was worried before we went that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the cruise post-sleeve as much as I enjoyed them pre-sleeve, but I found the opposite to be true. I just stayed busy, and with the food, stuck with Soups for appetizers, seafood for entree, and skipped dessert altogether, but I don't tolerate milk, chocolate, and sugar very well.

I hope this helps! I was actually on a 3 week stall when we left for our cruise, and when we returned home, I was 4 pounds down, and lost 6 pounds the next week!

I am 13 days out and I am going on a 7 day Mexican cruise in 2 weeks from today. Im not worried at all. Things have gone so smooth and My dr said I can eat fish and soft meats by then so Im not worried at all.

Take your cruise and have a blast. Remember we cant stop out lives because we had surgery we are starting a new life and Im ready to enjoy EVERYDAY

Wow, thanks Angie and Stephi for some reassuring advice! I'm just really hoping I can get my best case scenario, I'm just waiting to get into the 12-week Options class as Kaiser.

One thing I remember from the last time I cruised is that I was just always full, taking advantage of full meals for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. On my last vacation, we skipped that kind of eating and we felt sooo much better. I'm hoping sleeve-wise, I'll be able to avoid that constant overfull feeling I got last time.

Seriously, Angie, I can totally relate to the following "because your not looking at all the left overs and wising you could just eat it for them" I'll be so happy when those days are over...

TO me it sounds like the perfect scenario....its usually all buffet food so you have plenty of choice right there in front of you. You should be on 'normal' food by then.

If you're with people who don't know about your surgery then just use the excuse for your smaller portions to be because you're doing so well on your diet, and you know how much weight people can put on when cruising....

Have a great time!!

Yes you should cope fine.