Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's My Problem

Okay, I'm going to try to do a brief synopsis, but I may not make the brief part. We'll see.

I was banded on August 9, 2005. From the time I started on solids I have had some issues. Now, even liquids are causing a problem. I have been given four or five adjustments and have had 1.5 ccs added to my band.

Here's what happens. Once upon a time, even with the band, I could sometimes eat an unlimited amount of some foods. Other times even a couple of bites would cause extreme pain. Once I have the pain, I continue to slime until it passes or until I bring up whatever is in me. Nowadays, even Soup can cause a problem. Hardlly anything works. I'm probably going in next week for an adjustment, because I have got to be able to eat. But, I'm wondering, what are the signs of band erosion. Was my band placed wrong, is it just my body's reaction to the restriction. I don't know anybody else with the band, so I have no one to compare to. I don't even know what is considered a normal amount of food to eat. Maybe I'm just trying to put too much into me. But I thought that I would feel full once I had the proper restriction. I know these are complcated questions, but I'm getting frustrated. I'm almost always either hungry or in pain. Sometimes both.

Thanks for your help.

I'm so sorry, but you definately need to get to the doc ASAP. You are too tight, and need to have some removed.

Wow, Sylvia....you've done great so far! But I think you might be a little too tight. You should be able to eat solid food - about 6 to 8 oz of it. If you are eating too much, that could be your problem, but I'll bet you are too tight.

If it's been quite some time since your last fill, you might want to have your band checked for a slip, but if your problems started after a fill, then that's most likely the culprit.

Eating too much. I don't think so. Usually, two or three bites is the most I can get before I start hurting and then I'm hurting until I bring it all back up or enough time passes. Usually, that takes two or three hours. And all that time I'm sliming. Sorry for the gross out.

I am grateful for the information. I have had no real idea how much I should be able to eat at one time. Since my surgery sometimes some things bother me very quickly. The next time I will do fine with the same thing. I have not been able to eat what I would consider a normal meal for a bander since January. I have not had a fill since March and that was only to put back in what was taken out in January.

I need to update my information. But I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I have lost a total of 120 pounds, about half of that since the band was put in. I am afraid that my band is eroding or slipped or something, and I can't stand the thought of having to have it removed. I just want to enjoy a meal once in a while. I don't remember the last time I ate a meal without hurting.

Hi Sylvia, welcome to LapBandTalk.

I agree with the others that you should talk to your doctor and possibly get a slight unfill. A couple of questions occurred to ask you about though, because it sounds like you may be in a cycle of vomitting and irritating your stomach, not giving it enough time to COMPLETELY heal, and then trying to eat something which gets stuck due to swelling, starting up the whole cycle again.

After a "PB" ("productive burp" which is a polite euphamism on LBT for vomitting or spitting up food) do you go on liquids for a few days? How long do you stay on liquids before progressing through mushies back to solid foods?

Have you talked to your doctor, or someone in his office about your problem with liquids? Give them a call and see what they say, then get back with us so we'll know how you're doing, OK?

Good luck.

I forgot to mention that I did call my surgeon and I have an appointment for an adjustment on Wednesday. Wednesday is the only day they see WLS patients.

I was not aware that I was supposed to wait between PBing and trying to eat again. If I did that, I would stay on mushies 98% of the time. As it is, as I said, even mushies are giving me problems these days. I would never lose any weight if I stay on liquids because I would never ever feel like I had enough of any thing. Regular liquids go right through the band. I can drink a gallon of Water.

Thanks for the advise.

I forgot to mention that I did call my surgeon and I have an appointment for an adjustment on Wednesday. Wednesday is the only day they see WLS patients.

I was not aware that I was supposed to wait between PBing and trying to eat again. If I did that, I would stay on mushies 98% of the time. As it is, as I said, even mushies are giving me problems these days. I would never lose any weight if I stay on liquids because I would never ever feel like I had enough of any thing. Regular liquids go right through the band. I can drink a gallon of Water.

Thanks for the advise.

I'm glad you're going to see your surgeon - make sure he explains his post fill and post PB instructions thoroughly.

Any time you make an adjustment to your fill level, you irritate your stomach which can cause swelling. The same is true of a PB - it will irritate and possibly cause swelling. Most band doctors tell their patients if something sticks and they vomit or even heave, they should go on Clear Liquids for the rest of that day and then stay on full liquids for three days. If you do that, unless it was a really bad or prolonged PB, you give your stomach a chance to unswell and then you'll be able to have, first, mushies and then solid food again without further irritation to your stomach. You won't be on mushies 98% of the time because you won't PB again due to a swollen or irritated stomach. That's the whole reason you go on liquids so you won't get into that cycle.

I'm not a doctor so the information above is specific only to me, but you should definitely talk to your doctor about it. The more you PB, the greater the chance for slippage and errosion.

The doctor that I'm using for fills recommends going to Clear Liquids for 24 - 48 hours following the fill and staying on full liquids for the rest of the week - 7 days total. I'm sure there are lots of people who think this is too long - I'm one of them lol - but I'd rather err on the side of caution than risk my health or my band.

Good luck Sylvia, let us know what your doctor says, OK?

I don't think it was meant for you to stay on the liquids indefinitely, just for a day or 2 following a PB, so you give your tummy some time to heal before filling it with food again, and starting the PB or pain process all over again. I have heard people say Aloe vera juice following a PB is very helpful, and healing to the stomach. It sounds like you have begun a cycle, and your stomach needs a break. I know it might leave you feeling too hungry, but it also may help to break the cycle, and heal your stomach to give it a liquid diet break for a couple of days at the least. We survived the liquids when we first began...you can do it again!!! Hope you get some good news from the Dr.!

Kat

I would see your MD ASAP and not have ANY intervention until you have an EGD (endoscopy) to evaluate what exactly is going on.