Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

My biggest worry is that I am not going to lose weight. All that wasted money and effort for what. I haven't been losing and I barely eat anything. I eat just what I am supposed to. I don't know why I have to drink all that Protein? I didn't have to before. Why now? I hate the taste and I have problems getting it in with all the other stuff I have to eat. Proien, protein, protein and then more protein. And Water? when does that come in if I can't drink during meals? Oh man you shouldn't have started me on the venting thing because I am very discouraged about the band and I don't think it is working. I am 3 weeks out and have only lost 12 pounds. Wow I could lose faster if I did it be myself.Sorry guys I guess it feels good to vent. I can't vent around here because nobody would understand. I hope things turn around for me.

Beth

Amy,

I hear you on the can eat anything and everything. My fill was scheduled for Aug.15 which would have been almost 5 weeks but I called today and got it for one week from today. That will be 2 days shy of 4 weeks but I don't want to quit losing or God forbid gain some of that weight back. That would suck.

I'll let you know how things go with my fill.

Beth,

You are sooo right, people around you do not understand what you are "MENTALLY" going through.

you and I will have to just continue to do what we are supposed to .... and see what happens... (like we have a choice)

It seems every doctor is different.

My doctor gave me lots of literature on do's and don'ts...

however, he just indicated a multivitimin and a script to follow the first month or so....

did'nt say anything about making sure of Protein and so forth....

I vote we just vent here and smile otherwise *s*

Baylor Mom (Beth):

Please don't get discouraged. You are only 3 weeks out and haven't had a fill yet. I understand how you feel. I called the doctor yesterday because I haven't lost anything in 1 1/2 weeks. It appears that I haven't been getting enough Protein. Have you been working out? I went to the gym yesterday and today and feel much better. Remember, your body is healing and I was told that we won't start loosing alot until the band is filled.

Stefani :)

Okay, I will add my two cents here...lol...

First off, we didn't have to worry about Protein cuz we probably were all getting adequate protein along with all the other stuff we were stuffing our faces with. (at least I know I did ) Now that we are on liquids, mushies, etc. a lot of what we are eating doesn't have the adequate protein to help our body keep muscle and burn fat. This is also a healing time for our bodies and the weightloss right now is not the most important thing. If we lose weight, great, but letting our bodies heal and taking care of the band is the most important thing. I know that I can't afford any slippage, etc. cuz I'm not following the "rules" and taking care of this "tool" inside of me. I will obey...lol!!! I have to say that 3 weeks and 12 lbs. is GREAT!!! That type of weightloss over a year would be 208 lbs.!!! From what I have read, the average weightloss is not even that high per week. Of course, this will depend on starting weight, how much one has to lose, exercise, etc. I don't like the Protein Shakes much either so I have bought unflavored protein from www.unjury.com and add it to my Soups, Jello, crystal lite, etc. I use the vanilla flavor and make smoothies with frozen or fresh fruit and they taste pretty good. You can order this online and they even have samples to try. I would also suggest you make sure you have taken your measurements from head to toe. I measured my neck, chest, breasts, waist, below waist, hips, etc. all the way to my feet. Barbara, who is the pt. advocate working with my doc had her band put in around 4-5 years ago and has lost 150 lbs. She has had her time of backsliding but is on the wagon again and has been very helpful in educating me about the band, protein requirements, measuring, etc. I'm a newbie, too, but really ready to get to a healthy weight!!! So, let's keep on going and when some of us are struggling, others can help "pick us up" and we can do the same!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!

HANG IN THERE JULY BANDSTERS!!!

I understand where the frustration is coming from. Everything has changed for us and we have lost our food crutch. But like Stesti said, this has only been 3 weeks and a major adjustment period for all of us.

It is incredible how different everyones reaction is, I clearly needed 2 full weeks to recover, while others were shopping and going out in 5 days or so.

I have had my share of issues since being banded, some band related some not. I wanted to rip this band out of my body on a few occasions. But hopefully I now have everything in order and am on the road to putting the surgery behind me and getting back to being a normal person, but a normal "shrinking" person!

When you get frustrated, try on some of your old tight clothes, nothing feels better than putting something on that was tight and is now loose.

Hang in there guys! Everyday we will get stronger and learn from our mistakes and little victories.

I had a kidney transplant 29 years ago and because of the medicine I take I think it will take my body much longer to heal. Because I still feel worn out all the time. My scars are healing but still hurts a little. I think that I will have to take it slower than some of you. Thank goodness I don't work or have little kids running around. (I have already done all that).

Thanks for your help and I hope my spirits come up in the next few days. I can't get a fill until 6 weeks out. I have 3 more to wait. Bummer.

Beth

baylor mom and matt1

i was banded on 7/14 and my weight loss is slower than i excepted but i don't think i'm getting enough Protein. bu t i have another question i have lost and regain around 100 lbs in the last 3 years and i wondering if that will slow my weight loss with the band??? does anyone have any thoughts on that

I don't know about that but does anyone know if not having enough protein(60mg) a day is really hurting me? What are the ramifacations if I don't get all my Protein in?

Beth

Beth,

I HATE Protein shakes! They are the DEVIL!!! I can't stand the taist and I think they are nasty. I have tried the cheap ones and expensive one, they all suck. ((((BUT)))) The unflavored ones are wonderful. I bought that and I put 1/2 scoop in everyone one of my meals, If you add much more than that you can taist it.

Now I tried something this morning that I could tolerate. It was told to me by KMO. I mixed the vanilla with milk and let it sit over night in the fridge so the foam would settle. Then this morning I added Orange sunrise crystal light (wallmart brand) Just a little and man it taisted just like a dreamsickle.... It was good but when I figured out the cal. intake on it, It was over 300, so I think I will stick with the unflavored...

The protein is important because you are not getting much food in your body. You need it for energy. Your body uses this for fuel so you can continue to function. If you don't get enough fuel you could have side effects like loss of hair, tiredness, ect....

Don't get discourage you are doing great.... be inventive and try some new stuff....

Hi all,

Deciding to post for some suppost. Was banded Monday July 17. Had a SEVERE reaction to adhesive used during surgery so was put on meds, one of which was prednisone. I haven't lost much weight through this whole thing. Surgery day weight was 237 lbs. Friday July 21 weighed 239, monday july 24, 234. Will return to docs office monday for check, weigh etc. But clothes don't feel much different and I'm hungry a lot of the time. I"m on mushies now but wanted more than that today. I know some is head hunger but well, just wanting to know that I will definitely get there with the weight loss. Maybe just need a fill?

Thanks,

MDG

My husband bought me 6 boxes of SF Carnation Instant Drink mix and it is good but it doesn't have as much Protein as the other drinks out there. I don't think that he will buy anything else until those are all gone. So maybe I will have to drink 2 of them a day and hope they go fast. I like them. They are good. I don't think I am getting enough protein in my daily routine. I do eat Peanut Butter, cottage cheese, cheese, eggs, chicken and tonight I had baked Beans and ham. So maybe I am. Maybe I should add it up and see. Duh:confused:

Beth

ok ok..... I definately have to work on the Protein stuff.... obviously I didn't read that part.... *scratches head*

I'll do my best to burn the muscle and keep the fat.... no wait....*lol*

humor is the best medicine *s*

On the subject of the importance of Protein. If you don't get enough protein in your diet your body will burn its own muscle mass to supply protein. If you lose muscle mass, you burn less calories, thus you lose weight more slowly. The more muscles you have the more calories you burn. Don't lose your muscles! Thats my $.02

ericsmom- You have done amazing! don't forget that it took you a while to put this weight on, it will take a littlw while to get it off, but dang you are off to a great start... Don't get down on your self it will happen... ((((hugs))))))

Hey Steph,

I know that it's hard looking at pictures for me, in general. I always say "do i really look like that"? It expecially upsets me when i leave the house thinking I'm looking really good and that i, for sure, found the most slimming thing i own. Then I see the pictures and look at me, the blob, and sometimes i just cry because I'm so mad at myself that i look that way. Sometimes i get in the frame of mind that I was just in a size 12 a little while ago. LOL then 14, then 16 and now a 18 and then boom a picture comes along to put me back into reality.. that yes.. I am an 18.

Anyway, i just want to wish you a word of encouragement. I agree with Jen, it takes awhile to get there and it will be awhile to take it off. Just think of what that picture would have looked like if you had not lost the 31.6 pounds that you've already melted away. This will be one of those pics you can compare yourself to later, when you go and meet up again, take another.. and so on. Pretty soon you'll be lost in the crowd. Be positive and keep your chin up. The weight is coming off, not being packed on. You have done an excellent job! Keep it up! Best of luck to you.

Thanks so much girls. Your words of encouragement mean a lot. You have a very good point...it didn't come on in a day and it's going to take a while to come off. I am so happy with how it's going so far. I'll definitely use it for one of my before pictures! I just love how you "get it" and understand exactly where I'm coming from. That's the beauty of this board :)