Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Monday's the day... Who else has had Dr. Kuri???

I'm just wondering if you have to walk across the bridge into Tijuana? ?

and how can you be sure Miguel is Miguel?? and did you need a heating pad?? what kind of Snacks did you take???? and what did you do after the tests on Pre-op day???? Did you take a phone card? do they have phones in your room at the hotel??? Last min. jitters I guess, sure would appreciate hearing from a few of you....;)

Thanks, Rett

It's been over a year since I was there, but Miguel picks you up at the airport (you are flying in?) in a BeLiteWeight van. The last one was red. Not sure what color it is now? They talked of getting a new van so I'm pretty sure they have by now. No walking into TJ when with Miguel. He wore black slacks and a white shirt, too. Don't worry, you'll know.

No heating pad, but I did take a flat pillow for the ride and flight home. It protects your tummy and gives your arms something to rest on. Slip on shoes, no ties...bending over is slow and uncomfortable.

I got a hot tea at the airport. No need for Snacks post-surgery.

I rested in the room that afternoon, and had dinner at the hotel, then a Margarita in the bar that night. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight but I was in bed by then. Hotel staff speaks English (at least one at the front desk) and wake up call was in English.

My sister went with me and her Nextel worked in TJ so we were able to radio home to North Carolina no prob. I'd imagine a Sprint cell phone service would work? The hotel rooms had phones. Very Holiday Inn with lots of marble.

There are corner mini-marts with bottled Water and packaged Snacks.

You are gonna be fine! Congrats!!!!

Hope everything works as smoothly and comfortably for you as it did for me. Pack light. Make sure your luggage rolls because lifting is forbidden post-op if you will be traveling solo. Take small bills for tips and purchases I think I used about $70 (tips, Mexican phone card, groceries, and prescription) I was on a pre-op diet for almost 3 weeks. Protein Shakes, calorie free liquids, and Protein Bars not to exceed 40g carbs daily. For Snacks I just packed more of the same. I don't think I used any of them. I took two low-carb Pria bars and a low carb Slimfast. I gave them to the mother of the gal banded with me.

When I got into San Diego, Miguel picked me up at the airport and drove me over the border and right to hospital. I recommend sitting up front with him if possible because he is a crazy driver and the van has very bad shocks. This is only a suggestion for the way there; coming back it is a priority. Miguel is shorter, about 5'5" 250? Hispanic :doh: , usually wears black and didn't have my name on a card, but a little slip of paper in his pocket. He drives a red/maroon minivan clearly labeled. He was hurried and not quite on time. This probably has not changed in the last few months. He is sweet, I think I tipped him $5.

I got settled in my hospital room, a nice large private room with an INCREDIBLE shower. I was bored because I didn't anticipate all my alone time. Bring DVDs if you don't enjoy telemundo (only one channel at least when I was there). Ooh, pack slip on shoes, a robe, and clothes with no waistband (dresses are the best), lip balm, band-aids, and a Spanish / English dictionary too. Brush up on your charades, its fun and it makes communicating easier. I hear the staff is doing better with English, but education is never wasted.

I had my pre-op tests done right in the room- EKG, questionnaire, lab-work, and urine sample. Then we had our orientation with the docs. Ask questions. Dr. Kuri chose the surgery order during orientation. My band was placed at 6 am. Don't worry about it being early, they wake you up and put you right back to sleep :nervous . They took us to pre-op, placed our IV's, and then put us under. I woke up later and was very groggy most of the day. I drifted in and out of sleep. People came in numerous times to take my blood pressure. I hurt some, but no gas pain. I think it was the liquid diet. Traveling was easier for me since I flew with my husband and daughter. They stayed in CA while I did the Mexico thing. The pharmacy is one block from the hotel the grocery store is one more block. Walk down the driveway along the hotel and take a left. I bought sugar free Jello, fruit juices, and bouillon cubes. You might want to skip the cubes because I had a hard time getting the lumps of salt and fat to dissolve in bottled Water. You could request a coffee pot… My “band sister” did and it worked for her. You might find that a cheap can opener and canned stock work better. Phone cards are right across the street. Drink LOTS of water if you swell.

I was filled about 6 weeks later. US cards don't work to call out of Mex. and Yes there is a phone in the hospital and in the hotel. Take a cell if you can.

Ooh, conversion: Mex. dollars divided by 10 - $100 phone card was $10 US

Take care and have fun, Brenda

feel free to PM if you have anymore questions that I may have skipped over in my novella.

Great novella, Morsaille! Small bills for tipping...forgot about that.

I arrived at noon on a Thursday, had my surgery Friday morning, stayed the day and night, and on Sat morning after my baruim swallow, I went straight to the airport to go home. It sounds like things have changed a bit since I was there, but the new hospital and offices are lovely. You'll do great Rett. Good luck! Post when you get home and let us know how it went!