Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber intake after surgery?

Before surgery i was eating over 200 grams of Fiber a day, probably a little excessive but it did not bother me. I would get the low carb/high Protein tortillas with 12 grams of Fiber each and eat almost two packs a day, and would also add a cup of wheat bran (basically just wheat fiber) to my oatmeal to help thicken it and make it more filling and nutritious. I am about a week away from mushy/soft foods, and oatmeal is one of the first things i want to try. I plan on blending it after it is cooked, or chopping the oats very fine and cooking them very well till soft. What are your inputs on fiber intake after surgery? I know i can't have nearly what had before, but i would like to add some to my oatmeal, and my bowl of oatmeal would last me through Breakfast and lunch (granted i added a scoop of Protein powder or Peanut Butter.) Do you think that wheat bran would get lodged in my stomach, or might it be safe to try out fiberous foods slowly and see how i react to them?

I am curious about this because fiber helps maintain my blood sugar, i have hypoglycemia. When incorporate wheat bran to recipies my blood sugar stabilizes.

Thanks!!

Jillian

I am a fiber baby too. When I was a kid I was hospitalized several times for severe Constipation resulting in high fever and vomiting. I have always eaten lots and lots of fiber. My doc told me to avoid stuff like bran fiber...metamucil...fiber one etc for the first 5 weeks. After that he said I should be fine eating whatever.... but until then I have been drinking copious amounts of benefiber which he said is great (as with all fiber you have to have lots of water).

Hope thats helpful

stacey

Jillian,

As your sutures are healing you should be careful about oats, seeds, and anything that could potentially get caught and cause serious infection. Later on you will have to experiment some with the fiber, I can't do foods that are too high in fiber because they are too dense for my stomach and I get overly full, but I agree with Stacy if there are things like benefiber that you can use then that is of course way better for your body.

Great thank you guys. Yes i will need to start getting in my fiber intake. I get chronically constipated (sorry for TMI) even if i take laxatives, and rely on my fiber intake. Do you know about when or what stage the stomach is healed enough to incorporate wheat bran into something like oatmeal? I want to keep it a "soft" food, but don't want the bran to get stuck like you said. You think around 5 weeks out i am okay to start slowly adding those things back in? I am not yet to that point yet but would like to start planning and preparing for it when i do get there.

Do you have NUT you are working with at your surgeons office? Each office recommends different things.