Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support board blues

I was just lurking around another so called support group site and am appalled that someone just diss-ed lapbandtalk and they call themselves support. I have flames shooting off my head I'm so angry.

Just had to cool off...Thanks for letting me vent

and thanks for the Support.

Oooooo! We got diss-ed?!?! Must mean we've made it to the "big" times!! lol (Isn't that what celebs say when they start making it into the gossip rags?)

So, what was our problem? Too small? Bad advice? Too many newbies?

Enquiring minds want to know!!! :D

Ok I apologize..... It wasn't really a diss. A person claimed it was better on there site. I'm not one to gossip and won't disclose where I read it. It just seems to me a support forum shouldn't be judgmental.

:D

My thoughts on that sort of thing are simple: to each his/her own. It is kinda cool that we're even on anyone's radar, though! This is the first message board I've ever been part of since inception, and it really is a kick to see how it's grown!

Go us! :banana

Seriously, every message board is different and brings different things to the table. Most people frequent more than one for this reason. Comparing them is silly, ESPECIALLY because that sort of thing can escalate into slamfests when the participants are so inclined. (I think of this place as the "civilized" site, where none of that is ever likely to happen. That's why I love it here!!)

The more Lap Band support group sites... the better... everyone's goal seems to be getting the message out that there is a safer choice for WLS and if one group diss-es the other... well... that would be a big ole bummer. I choose to hang here because I have never been comfortable in a big group and because of the oodles of great advise from Alex and Donali (thought I had better kiss some butt in there somewhere) :D THis is a great site... love it here...

Darcy

lol - Darcy, thanks for the kind words, but I think butt kissing is too high in calories to do it... :D

I hate this thread. Nobody went along with what I learned at that meeting. I just think no one wants to admit who they are. (J/K)

Can someone please tell me the names of some other boards? i love this one but I could use all the support I can find. Thanks Ginny

Originally posted by GeezerSue

I hate this thread. Nobody went along with what I learned at that meeting. I just think no one wants to admit who they are. (J/K)

LOL!!!

Ginny, the most well-known are Spotlight Health (click on Morbid Obesity and Support Groups) and the Yahoo Groups dedicated to banding. The two Yahoo groups I'm familiary with are Bandsters and SmartBandsters. These are boards that can either be accessed via the Web or you can sign up to receive messages by e-mail. There are scads of Yahoo groups about banding, some are geographic (NJBandsters, for example) and some are about food or exercise or the overall struggle (StrugglingBandsters).

Obesity Help also has message boards and discussion, but I don't know much about those. The site itself is more concerned with bypass issues.

Okay quiet and shy Sue... this is for you... This is really what I think... it would really suck if time and posting space was wasted on squabbles... if the goal is to provide support and to get the message out about the band... then who cares what site it is done at???? It's all for a common goal...yes???? Or maybe I'm missing it....is that not the goal???? Spotlighthealth board was a little to big for my comfort level... I had difficulty finding info in posts on the Yahoo boards and the posts were veeeery infrequent on the Wisconsin boards that I joined. THis board was juuuuust right for me but I still lurk at Spotlight and gather info like a theif in the night:kiss ... But I think I could manage to post there without diss-ing another site. I'm almost 37... I am too old to be in a clique and sure as he%$ don't want to be in the midst of board wars. All I want is to get that little silicone band wrapped snuggly around my abused and overused stomach and be able to say with first-hand experience that it really works! I still worry for my sister and her future life with the RNY... she is a year and a half out and she is already talking about joining weight-watchers as she is gaining weight. SHe is still a staunch supporter of the RNY but is coming around about the band. In the beginning she would tell me over and over about the poor statistics for success with the banding.... It wasn't until she got the article from Spotlight giving some of the reasons for why the statistics were so bad that she finally started to believe all of the stuff I had been telling her... the info I shared with her was garnished from both sites. Anyhoo... Sue... if you are still awake after wading through this lengthy post... that really is what I think... BTW... good luck with the PS and you better write down every detail cause my tummy arms and boobies will be needing a little help... a lot of help! My sister says her boobies look like the old gal on the greeting cards... I have CRS too so can't remember her name.

TTFN

Darcy

Darcy,

You DID notice the "J/K" for "Just Kidding" I put in that post, right? The old gal is Maxine.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Sue...

Darcy

Hi everyone,

I also read other boards but I like this one best. I am new and do not know much so mostly I just lurk. I like it here because if someone tells about their experience about not being perfect ie not eating the "proper" food or portions or whatever, people do not jump in the middle of their s**t, belittle and degrade them or answer like they are the definitive authority in the universe with sarcastic/caustic remarks. I do not understand why they need to answer sarcasticly or rudely when instead they could just go on to another post and not say anything. I'm gad it is not like that here. If/when I have a problem I need advice about it will be here. This is a kinder, more gentle board. I thank ya'll for that.

Carolyn