Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with back issues?

This is more of a general weightloss questions but as I'm having my VSG done in four weeks, I'll ask here :001_tongue:

I've been struggling with back issues for the better part of the past fifteen years. I can't remember the last time I woke up and my back wasn't sore.

This sounds like a Captain Obvious question, but those of you that had back issues, how much has the weight loss helped? It's been so long since my back didn't hurt, that I have trouble accepting that it might not hurt one day. :sad0:

hi! welcome and congratulations on your up coming surgery date. As a heavy weight (350 lbs at my heaviest) you can only imagine the back pain issues that i have dealt with. Well let me tell you that after having a sustantial amount of weight, i have hardly any issues with back pain. occasionally my back will twinge to let me know to still be careful but nothing as bad as before. I can bend and tie my shoes without pain, put on my socks without problems and make the bed without problems. . it definately has helped my back . . as well as my knees. I was a candidate for bilateral knee replacements but i refused stating that i would NEVER do that, the weight loss has help immensely! I still have "weak" knees and need to watch what i'm doing but they don't hurt as badly as before either. . so the wls has helped me. . . good luck and hope i answered your question, but this is just my experience with the surgery!

Edited by thinoneday

Theoretically it should help. But it all depends on what type of back problems you have. I have had three back operations. I fell on my back when I was 18 and I have had problems ever since. Most of my life I have been thin. I was thin through 2 of the 3 surgeries. They most likely should have fused my back with the last surgery, but they didn't. I was hoping to have that operation this month, but the surgeon wants to postpone it to Ocotber, after my weight has stabilized. Okay, here is goes. My back has hurt as much thin as much as fat. I have lost 57 lbs and it hasn't helped my back pain. If I stand up for more than 10 minutes, the pain breaks through my pain pills. So like I said, it just depends on what is wrong with you spine. I have had bulging and burst discs, and I have spinal stenosis. I am hoping that when I get my back fused, the pain will be manageble. But nothing is guaranteed. I hope this helps.

Immore, I am so sorry to hear about your back pain. . . that must be really bad. I hope for your sake, that your surgery (back surgery) will help you. my thoughts are with you

Firstly, have you ever been diagnosed with a particular back problem? For example my back pain turned out to be herniated discs in both my thoracic and lumbar spine, and I have degenerative disc disease. When I was first diagnosed I was actually at my lowest weight (240.) After a year of physical therapy I was doing great. I am now over 300 lbs and my pain started getting really bad again about 5 months ago. I am now seeing a chiropractor and it's really helping. My back pain is the reason my doctor suggested me to have WLS.... but he thinks I need to be under 225 to feel a lot of relief from my pain. We shall see!

I guess my point is - your back pain may or may not be cured by losing weight, but I think it will certainly get better. My condition is degenerative so it won't go away, but less weight will slow down the progression and hopefully the pain symptoms will be much less. I have heard that every pound of weight puts 7 pounds more pressure on our spine so just imagine how much less pressure will be on your spine soon.

If you haven't already, definitely talk to your doc and have some xrays, try to find out the source of the pain.

Good luck!

Hi Syry,

I was told by my back dr to lose at least 50 pounds in order to take the pressure off my back. I have 4 bulging disks in my lower back. Between him and the sleep apnea dr telling me to also lose 50+ lbs the same week, I was sleeved about a month later!

My back is doing much better. I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy and I have lost just under 40 pounds in 3 months. I also get the twinge warning once in a while but haven't had a back attack since January.

So - for me, it could be a combination of losing weight, PT and fairly limited physical activity for the past three months .... I would like to think the loss of weight has helped.

Immore, I am so sorry to hear about your back pain. . . that must be really bad. I hope for your sake, that your surgery (back surgery) will help you. my thoughts are with you

Thanks so much. The irony is that I got sleeved because they wouldn't operate until I lost 50 lbs. Now that I have lost it, they want my body to stabilze. So they postponed it until October. Meanwhile I have been living with this non-stop pain. But you know. You do what you have to do. Whatever it takes. :confused1:)