Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

T minus 2 and counting

OMG. After reading about what you should do after surgery, I went shopping for Isopure, Protein powders, extra strength Tylenol, pill crushers, SF popsicles, Crystal Light, a heating pad, and a Sippy Cup.

Well, all I have to say is, I am going to die of dehydration if all my liquids have to come from a sippy cup. What is up with that, a micro-drop each time? I said to myself, obviously I need to think like an infant and treat it like a nipple and suckle. Guess what? I think I have lost the operating instructions for nipple suckling. I'm gonna die of dehydration. I don't suppose someone could send me instructions? Other than that, I am ready. T minus 2 and counting down.

Jerry :thumbup1:

hahaha...you crack me up!

I didn't use any sort of sippy cup..I don't think that's necessary.

I just drank out of a 16 oz Water bottle...works quite well.

I also never used a pill crusher. I was sent home with two scripts and both were pills and I never had any problems taking them.

Of course everyone is different. I know some people couldn't swallow pills right away whether because they just couldn't or their docs told them not to.

My doctor said not to used a straw for the first week or so. this is what they sent me in an email. No caffeine, carbonation or straws during the first few weeks after surgery. Carbonation will hurt, caffeine will dehydrate you and straws will cause Fluid to come in rapidly and it will also allow excess air into your stomach (Ouch!).

Awww Jerry, you're gonna do great. I found that the Water bottles with a sports cap worked best for me. I didn't ever use a sippy cup and didn't use straws for a few months.

You're gonna do fabulous, and I'm scooting over on the loser's bench for you ! ! !

Take a deep breathe and repeat..."I will not get dehydrated". You aren't going to need a sippy cup and the act of sucking on it could actually cause you to swallow more air. That's why we aren't supposed to use straws. I took very tiny sips for the first couple days, only because I was uncomfortable if I swallowed much at one time, but even on day one after the surgery I was able to drink about 6 ounces in 30 minutes. I had to for one of my leak tests. After I got home from the hospital, I filled a 22 oz plastic tumbler with 1 scoop of unflavored Unjury Protein Powder, Water, some crystal light powder, stirred it up and added ice. One tumbler full throughout the morning, #2 during the afternoon, and #3 before during the evening = 66 oz water + 60 grams of Protein. Carried it with me if I had to go anywhere. Still doing the same thing, but with less protein powder. The only problem I've had getting enough liquid is when I forget to keep drinking throughout the day, because I can't just down 8 oz at a time. You'll be up and flying in no time!

Great attitude Jerry!!

I have used all of the above forbidden items. Just my nature I guess : ) Love the sippy cup, especially if you are laying down and don't want to sit up for a sip. I have also used it prior to surgery when enjoying a little lemoncello in bed watching tv. Easier than trying to juggle a real glass and spill! lol I did use a straw fairly soon after surgery. Sometimes it just happened that way. No little kids at my house these days so don't have to worry about a toddler drinking from MY sippy cup : )

I didn't do caffeine or carbonation, so should get some points for that. I also didn't crush or break any meds; was able to swallow them just fine.

Good luck with the powdered protein! yucky! lol The popsicles will be awesome tho!

You are gonna be great. The first couple weeks are lots of trial and error. Be patient with yourself, as you can see even from these few answers we all handle everything differently. You will find your groove though and then life feels pretty awesome! Good luck to you!!!!

I agree about the sippy cup. I tried mine and it's like a LOT of work to get a sip out! I think this will be a good thing for me though to keep me from gulping. But if it turns out to be just too big of a problem, I'll go back to my camelbak bottle.