Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

T minus 2 and counting

OMG. After reading about what you should do after surgery, I went shopping for Isopure, Protein powders, extra strength Tylenol, pill crushers, SF popsicles, Crystal Light, a heating pad, and a Sippy Cup.

Well, all I have to say is, I am going to die of dehydration if all my liquids have to come from a sippy cup. What is up with that, a micro-drop each time? I said to myself, obviously I need to think like an infant and treat it like a nipple and suckle. Guess what? I think I have lost the operating instructions for nipple suckling. I'm gonna die of dehydration. I don't suppose someone could send me instructions? Other than that, I am ready. T minus 2 and counting down.

Jerry :thumbup1:

hahaha...you crack me up!

I didn't use any sort of sippy cup..I don't think that's necessary.

I just drank out of a 16 oz Water bottle...works quite well.

I also never used a pill crusher. I was sent home with two scripts and both were pills and I never had any problems taking them.

Of course everyone is different. I know some people couldn't swallow pills right away whether because they just couldn't or their docs told them not to.

My doctor said not to used a straw for the first week or so. this is what they sent me in an email. No caffeine, carbonation or straws during the first few weeks after surgery. Carbonation will hurt, caffeine will dehydrate you and straws will cause Fluid to come in rapidly and it will also allow excess air into your stomach (Ouch!).

Awww Jerry, you're gonna do great. I found that the Water bottles with a sports cap worked best for me. I didn't ever use a sippy cup and didn't use straws for a few months.

You're gonna do fabulous, and I'm scooting over on the loser's bench for you ! ! !

Take a deep breathe and repeat..."I will not get dehydrated". You aren't going to need a sippy cup and the act of sucking on it could actually cause you to swallow more air. That's why we aren't supposed to use straws. I took very tiny sips for the first couple days, only because I was uncomfortable if I swallowed much at one time, but even on day one after the surgery I was able to drink about 6 ounces in 30 minutes. I had to for one of my leak tests. After I got home from the hospital, I filled a 22 oz plastic tumbler with 1 scoop of unflavored Unjury Protein Powder, Water, some crystal light powder, stirred it up and added ice. One tumbler full throughout the morning, #2 during the afternoon, and #3 before during the evening = 66 oz water + 60 grams of Protein. Carried it with me if I had to go anywhere. Still doing the same thing, but with less protein powder. The only problem I've had getting enough liquid is when I forget to keep drinking throughout the day, because I can't just down 8 oz at a time. You'll be up and flying in no time!

Great attitude Jerry!!

I have used all of the above forbidden items. Just my nature I guess : ) Love the sippy cup, especially if you are laying down and don't want to sit up for a sip. I have also used it prior to surgery when enjoying a little lemoncello in bed watching tv. Easier than trying to juggle a real glass and spill! lol I did use a straw fairly soon after surgery. Sometimes it just happened that way. No little kids at my house these days so don't have to worry about a toddler drinking from MY sippy cup : )

I didn't do caffeine or carbonation, so should get some points for that. I also didn't crush or break any meds; was able to swallow them just fine.

Good luck with the powdered protein! yucky! lol The popsicles will be awesome tho!

You are gonna be great. The first couple weeks are lots of trial and error. Be patient with yourself, as you can see even from these few answers we all handle everything differently. You will find your groove though and then life feels pretty awesome! Good luck to you!!!!

I agree about the sippy cup. I tried mine and it's like a LOT of work to get a sip out! I think this will be a good thing for me though to keep me from gulping. But if it turns out to be just too big of a problem, I'll go back to my camelbak bottle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches