Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall Bladder Protection Post-Op

So, I'd like to be one of the 67% who don't need to have their g.b.'s removed post-op. I've been doing a little research on things that seem to protect the g.b. during rapid weight loss, and here's the list I've come up with:

• Omega 3 fatty acids seem to help. Not sure what I can consume that has these; I don't like sea food and I'm not sure if/when I'm allowed to have nuts. In the solid phase?
  • Fiber: according to my nut., ground flaxseed is a really good choice for Fiber for sleevers. Downside, it has a fishy taste. Upside, it apparently has some Omega 3's and Omega 6's!
  • Fruits and vegetables: check, I'll consume as much as my sleeve allows, although learning which ones I can tolerate will be a journey in itself.
  • Ursadiol: well, apparently this is hepatotoxic and insanely expensive, so this is probably out.
  • Low sugar: yeah, I'm going to be avoiding sugar for obvious reasons, so this might help.
  • Alcohol: interestingly, 1-2 drinks a day seems to *protect* the gall bladder. But I can't have any alcohol on my healing sleeve, and besides, 1-2 drinks a day is bad for me in other ways, so... no.
  • Coffee: apparently coffee is good for the gall bladder. Not caffeine, COFFEE. I wonder if I should drink Decaf for a while just to get this benefit? Plus, it used to help me to remain regular (BM-wise), so that sounds like a recommendation.

Any of the medical types know any other advice?

Edit: source is http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/how_can_gallstones_gallbladder_disease_be_prevented_000010_5.htm

Edited by ouroborous

Thanks for this post... very informative.

I found Omega 3 chewables on BariatricEating.com - BE, Inc. The number one bariatric website for Protein, Vitamins, and success.

Just ordered them... we will see how they taste.

Good luck.

Av

Good to know they have O3 chewables! Could you PM me or post back here when you have an update? If they're not disgusting, I might want to get some!

I order my flax seed and Omega 3s from vitacost.com

The omega 3 does not have a fishy taste, it's a capsule. I have zero issue swallowing pills so maybe you can find out when you'd be released to swallow capsules. The Omegas are notorious for giving a fishy aftertaste. I have not found that to be the case with this particular brand. The Flax seed I order is organic, and also has Omega 3s in it. It has a "nutty" taste, not fishy at all. I actually mix it in yogurt, and when I bake my husband's banana nut muffins, I throw a few tablespoons in there and he still have zero clue that I do this. I add it to certain meals especially salads with an oil base dressing and different stews, cornbread, Beans and rice, etc. So, I've enjoyed both of these products.

I use vitacost for all of my supplements only because I can put in one big order and only pay $4.99 flat shipping regardless of how much I order. They also guarantee their products so if you don't like them, you can get a full refund.

Here's the links for the stuff I use. You can search through all the ones they offer to see if there is another one that might catch your eye.

NSI Mega EFA? Omega-3 EPA & DHA -- 2.126 g per serving - 240 Softgels - Vitacost

Spectrum Organic Ground Flaxseed -- 15 oz - Vitacost

Vitacost also carries a variety of Protein drinks/mixes, so we started ordering my husband's protein from there as well.

I declined the Ursadiol only because our livers are working double time during ketosis and the rapid weight loss phase. Due to my own medical history, I didn't want to task my liver anymore than necessary.

Great info! Thanks!

I'm especially going to look into the flaxseed; I have diverticulosis and need lots of Fiber. If it doesn't taste fishy (I LIKE nutty!) then it sounds perfect.

I also decided against the Ursadiol, figuring that in the long run I'd prefer gall bladder problems to liver problems...

I buy ground flax seeds and make them into crackers - low carb and high fiber, though a bit caloric I think. I also take an Omega 3 supplement.

Hadn't heard about the coffee, though I have been using instant Decaf to flavor my shakes since about a month out.

So far, so good, but we'll see as time goes by...

Thanks for the GB info! That is something I constantly worry about. I appreciate the input from you all.